Author Topic: AH vs real WW2  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: AH vs real WW2
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2008, 02:26:01 AM »
Yikes; by the time I got back to reading this thread it has Exploded

It's because of your avatar pic.

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2008, 03:00:33 AM »
Sure, just as much as reading comic books makes you invincible and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2008, 03:30:47 AM »
In AW there was a guy named Blake . He went to one of those ace combat things wish I could find his write up . He went against a F-15 pilot who was interviewing for a job . He whipped the dewd pretty handily . Was a great write up . I think it was on the old bigweek bbs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2008, 04:36:52 AM »
As an AH pilot, I'd probably be much more scared than a ww2 young-boy...
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2008, 04:49:12 AM »
playing "excitebike" makes you a very crumby motocrosser in real life. I know that for sure. Gotta believe flying areal fighter in real conditions, has very little in common with what we do in here.
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2008, 08:05:30 AM »
Me?  No, really, 6 g's isn't that bad.  I've experienced 6 g's, it didn't seem that bad.

Let's put it this way.  Your opponent has 200 regular flight candidates to take through basic WWII-standards flight training and then into combat.  You can have 200 such regular flight candidates, or you can take 200 good AH pilots who are otherwise (physically and psychologically) as qualified as the others.  Whichever group you pick, you'll take them through the same WWII flight training and then into combat.  Which would you rather have?

I would rather have the AH pilots, and I think that they'd be on average much better at air combat.  This isn't based on ego -- it's just based on my judgement of it and a very limited amount of related experience.

If a country had AH back in the days of WWII, I think they'd have used it a lot in training, and I think it would have been very effective.

Yea that's my thinking with this topic..

Granted most in the MA's don't spend time learning real ACM and so on..However there are guys that know their stuff. Granted there are many things AH can't teach in regard to actually flying a air plane but it can still teach a lot of things. If used as a teaching tool it could teach things like wing-man tactics, SA, gunnery and so on.. Will it teach you how to start the engine or handle stress and long cold missions.. Well of course not, but I think if given the same real life training and assuming they made it through the qualifications. Well I would think the AH sticks would have an advantage just by the experance of hours flown in a virtual game.
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2008, 08:09:34 AM »
In AW there was a guy named Blake . He went to one of those ace combat things wish I could find his write up . He went against a F-15 pilot who was interviewing for a job . He whipped the dewd pretty handily . Was a great write up . I think it was on the old bigweek bbs

Yea I know a guy that has gone through all the testing and training and was just accepted for training in the Dutch Air Force to fly F-16's. He will be coming over here in January to Sheppard AFB for his training. I tried to get him to fly AH but I guess he was too busy doing the real pilot chit.
"strafing"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »
playing "excitebike" makes you a very crumby motocrosser in real life. I know that for sure. Gotta believe flying areal fighter in real conditions, has very little in common with what we do in here.

I can't see that motocross on a simulator would have anything useful to translate to real riding of motorcycles.  That's my opinion having done a large amount of off-road riding in my life on motocross bikes.

Flight simulators are a totally different matter.  That's my opinion having done both a large amount of flying of AW and AH, having flown normal private planes (like Cessna 152's), and having flown at Air Combat USA in dogfights with other planes.

I think the ACM, gunnery, and situational awareness folks learn here in flying around simulated WWII planes would substantially translate to flying real WWII-class planes in dogfights.