Author Topic: 109  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Re: 109
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »
Ok, so about to be on my fifth year flying... still cant fly 109s... now.. i can turn wit ppl, and get on there six, but cant kill anything with the one 20mm, i always miss lol, does anyone have any tips/advice that could help? also, is there a certain gunsight that may make it easier to hit someone with the one 20mm?

-BigBOBCH

There are two extremes in the 109 plane set.  The F-4 and the K-4.  Think of everything in between as a mixture of the two. 

The F-4 is one of the best pure furballers in the game.  The K-4 is one of the best pure vert fighters in the game.

Basic rules:

109F-4

The reason I love this AC is the same reason that 38 sticks love their's.  What it cant out turn, it can out run (or out climb) and what it cant out run (or out climb) it can out turn.  The threshold is just lower on a purely speed basis. 

The weapons package leaves something to be desired in the punch category, but the single 20mm 151 is more than enough to dispatch an EAC within the envelop you should be flying.  I love the F-4 because it can wipe the floor with most spits in sustained turn fights.  16's are like fresh meat if they stick around to fight.

The sustained turn rate is not excellent, per say, but the stall speed is lower than comparable AC.  As a result, they have a very difficult time getting behind you.  When you do stall, the break away is gentle, giving you a significant advantage over other AC flopping all over themselves to stay out of the drink.

Since 95% of MA fights end up as a sustained turn contests, the airplane always surprises.  And, since 95% of MA sticks are not exemplary, the use of flaps and elevator trim will hasten the conclusion of any turn fight.

Conservation of E is important since acceleration is not up to par with the 44+ set, but knife fighting with the F-4 against La7's, 16's or Niki's is child's play.  In such a fight, the weapons package is more than enough because youre going to be shooting from between 150 and 300 yards at a full head-down view of an AC yanking on the stick to pull lead.  Further out, the ballistics get tricky because the 7.92mm and the 20mm 151 dont play nice together, but since BnZ isnt really an option in this AC, you wont be throwing rounds from 600 out at 400 MPH, anyway.

If youre new to the series, get the hang of this one, first.

109K-4

Completely different AC in several ways.  Its heavy (by 109 standards), the weapons package is very difficult to grow accustomed to and the engine torque is both its greatest strength and weakness.

While the initial turn is good, the sustained turn rate in the K-4, unlike the F-4, is abysmal.  By contrast, however, what the F-4 lacks; comparable rate of climb, speed, acceleration, etc, is made up for in spades.

If you want to go to the moon, the K-4 is your ride.  The thing climbs like a raped ape.

However, with such a powerful engine in such a light airframe, the AC wants to twist, constantly.  It torques to the left and, while this makes low speed maneuvering and prop hanging difficult, it can also work wonderfully well to A. bring your guns around to the left for a solution at very low airspeed and B. keep you aloft in the opposing direction.

You should always be fighting in the vertical - not zooming, mind you - but forcing an EAC to rely on engine power to pull them up.

In that sort of situation, with an EAC behind you, both slow and close (200-400 yards), 109 dictating with a creeping, left hand upwards spiral climb, the AC comes into its own and all of the quirks that send people screaming back to Spit's and La7's come out to shine.

First, there is a strong probability that the EAC, without significant airspeed will not be able to bring his guns up to you.  He will keep trying because, technically speaking, he is still behind you.  Once airspeed gets dangerously low and both planes are starting to shudder, the engine torque comes into play for the first time.

When you start to see it (his nose will juuuust start to drop), you flip your climb over to the right as best you can against the engine torque and make sure flaps are full out.  This is contrary to what the plane wants to do in all aspects, but thats ok at this point because its actually going to keep you aloft for a few more seconds - which is the key while he overloads his control surfaces.

You've forced him to get just a little bit nearer to directly beneath you, and he's still trying to bring his guns up in vein.  You could probably drop a bowling ball on him (more on that later) at this point.

When he starts to lose it, your engine - in this position keeping you aloft - will start to reverse your right stick inputs ever so slowly.

Once he is near directly beneath you and, at this point, helpless, engine torque comes into play for the second time.  Jam the controls to the left, helping the engine pull the entire aircraft around and below, and you will literally twist/fall straight down on him with your tater gun pointed at his cockpit.

Pull trigger.

Now, you might actually be better off opening your cockpit and throwing a bowling ball because the ballistics would be better than the 30mm, but all the same, the key is setting up the shots you cant miss.

Bit of a ramble... but I hope it at least comes close to helping you visualize the ideal situation.

Its a strange bird.

Im by no means an expert, but would be glad to spend some time in the DA with you.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:11:23 PM by Saurdaukar »

Offline -pjk--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 01:11:14 PM »
I have set my conv 200 and fire all guns same time in 109. Mostly i shoot d50-150 against fiters, 150-300 against buffs. It may take some time to get used 109`s. 1st you have to learn "turnfight" vertical :) and instead pulling  lead, use ailerons to roll and cut angles for firingposition. I mostly try to shoot turning target, it is lot bigger shape than 6 position.
Ääliö älä lyö ööliä läikkyy!!

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »
About that direct 6 oclock thing.  OMG yes that's true, the 6 oclock shots are the worst with the 30mm.  I've been 200 yards behind a stir-stirring butthead and with direct 6 oclock shots blown all 65 cannon rounds (1-3 at a time) without hitting him.  Mucho aggravating.  I'd much rather get the shot on him with some deflection and looking at the top-down profile.  Speaking of which, that's one thing that rocks with the Zeke, ie: you get people into a turn-fight and get most of your kills shooting into their town-down profile where the wings and tailfeathers make huge targets and are easy to hit.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 02:11:09 PM »
I have pretty much all the British, American and German guns set at 650 yards and he Russian and Japanese guns set to 400.   Even the German 30's I set to 650 (including the K4 hub mount) because I'm used to hitting with them at that setting.

No matter what I'm flying I usually hold fire until I'm inside 400.

why set them to 650 when you hold fire to 400?  You are reducing your own lethality
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 02:35:23 PM »
When they start stirring I just get in closer.
-AoM-

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 07:00:59 PM »
Agent told me not to pull lead on the K4, I took that advice to heart and only use it as snapshot.

Understandable but imho pulling lead and making extreme single shots is why I like the 37mm and most rewarding part of it. Just a matter of practicing the timing over and over again. Close range snapshots in scissors are a gimme especially with the 30mm you can give them a short burst, where as the 37mm you have to time a single shot.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 07:22:54 PM »
Understandable but imho pulling lead and making extreme single shots is why I like the 37mm and most rewarding part of it. Just a matter of practicing the timing over and over again. Close range snapshots in scissors are a gimme especially with the 30mm you can give them a short burst, where as the 37mm you have to time a single shot.

<S>...-Gixer

But I fly k4 once in a blue moon =) no time to practice them tater shots.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2008, 07:58:39 PM »
 Here's my 2 cents on the Bf109.
 The 109 is one of the toughest planes to fight in. Nearly everything is faster, has better guns or turns better. Ya the 109 can climb fast, but not faster than a cannon shell. So if your Spit gets spanked by a 109 he's probably one of the most experienced pilots in the game. Run away, very quickly.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2008, 09:12:06 PM »
It is "possible" to pull lead shots in the K4 but it requires a blind under the nose shot. Very difficult to time and if you are really hauling it around it is almost impossible to get enough lead to compensate for the g load on the taters. If you are at "0" distance you can pull it off. But this kind of shot is just not really something to do unless you are very good at shooting 30mm's

I have said before that "flying style" is the most important thing in killing with the K4. Think of like you are flying a GUN not a plane. You dont shoot a 12 gauge slug the same way you shoot a 8mm mauser.

You must force the target into crossing your guns. And for this you have to fly almost defensivly. Its a game of cat and mouse.

The lead turn followed by a verticle reversal is the way to go. Strait six tail chases are the worst.

Agent360

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
The lead turn followed by a verticle reversal is the way to go. Strait six tail chases are the worst.

I second this. If you're behind somebody and you're in the K-4, turn with them a bit just to bait, and then do a vertical reversal. It works almost every time for me. The key to successfully flying the K-4, or really any 109, is really knowing how to use it in the vertical. Master the 'vert, and you'll be set... For the most part.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 09:43:11 PM »

I second this. If you're behind somebody and you're in the K-4, turn with them a bit just to bait, and then do a vertical reversal. It works almost every time for me. The key to successfully flying the K-4, or really any 109, is really knowing how to use it in the vertical. Master the 'vert, and you'll be set... For the most part.

A word of caution about vertical reversals: be very careful doing them against a competent F4U pilot.  The F4U can bleed a lot of E maneuvering to avoid your shot, but then pull vertical for a snap shot while hanging from the prop.  Against this defense it is better to enter a simple zoom climb after missing a shot with a lead turn; you'll often see the F4U reversing with the hope that you went for a high yo-yo, but if you don't burn your E by pulling G's the F4U will be 800 yards back and fall away.  Not even SpitfireXVIs can do this same maneuver so effectively.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!