Author Topic: 109 flaps  (Read 140 times)

Offline wells

• Copper Member
109 flaps
« on: August 08, 2001, 12:44:00 AM »
Apparently, the bottom of the radiators deflected down to act as flaps, while the upper surface deflected up a wee bit?  I think this was on F and later models only, the E model was as it is in the sim currently (I think).

How 'bout making slats that work with the flaps, even if they aren't really functional, still better than what you got now?

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
109 flaps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2001, 02:00:00 AM »
Hmmm, small glitch in your idea here. The radiator flaps on the 109 were only open on the ground during run up and taxi. If you opened them in flight you'd get a very out of control Messerschmitt. Once you're in the air and above 200 mph, you closed them. As for the leading edge slats, I wish they were visible in AH. Have to admit I wouldn't mind hearing the BANG as they popped open during a hard turn!

www.bf109.com  under the Aircraft Manuals has a nice write up by Mark Hanna on how you fly the 109 E.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: flakbait ]

Offline wells

• Copper Member
109 flaps
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2001, 03:02:00 AM »
My point being that the inner flaps are in 2 pieces.  Even when the rad flaps are *closed*, there is still a hole for air to exit, it's just smaller than when they are open.  I just thought that maybe it wouldn't be too difficult for the artist to make the 3d model a little more authentic, that's all.  Like with the flaps up, you could have a minimal gap between the upper and lower rad flaps and then as you gradually lower them, the gap could widen, sortof like simulating opening the rad flaps at the same time.  That would mean each part would have to deflect to a different angle.  I dunno if that's do-able or not, just an idea/suggestion.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
109 flaps
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2001, 04:06:00 AM »
Our AH 109 doesnt even model the double flap, ie one regular outside flap and one inside radiator flap per wing. It just has one huge flap like the 109E and earlier had.