Author Topic: What counts?  (Read 4166 times)

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
What counts?
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:15:01 AM »
Is it score?, is it the fact you would rather turn and burn over boom and zooming?, or is it respect amongst your peer's?
Could the ammount of post's youve made have somthing to do with it? or the length of time youve played or been in the Forums?
Perhaps its what plane you fly that is the statement of how good you are.

I have to wonder, since there is so much brow beating over silly things like "this guy runs away, and is afraid to fight" or "he isnt much of a pilot because he boom and zooms" or my personal favorite "well im smarter than so and so because my score is lower".

Alot of guys in the MA seem to put alot of stock into how well they DA, and will gladly offer to school anyone of us at the drop of a hat, though things like fair play, or clearly stating the rules of engagment are allowed to slip.....Do certain persons put to much stock in victory in the DA where SA is of no importance, and subterfuge is used in place of skill?

I ask all these silly questions, because after many years within the community ive seen score become very important to some guys, and to others ive seen the DA used as the ultimate statement of pilot skill, when in the end im not sure that either is a true reflection of a pilots "worth"

Fairplay seems to have gone the way of the Do Do in the DA, and several squads seem to function on the bases that it is ok to die in the MA as long as the victoriouse pilot can be suckerd into the DA where he cant ever seem to get a fair fight, be it the merge rule is broken, or one guy ho's another when it was clearly stated that ho's where to be avoided, or any other of a hundred ways that can be found to prey upon the guy who is honestly doing his best to give a fair fight.

So enlighten me... What is the measure of a pilots skill? 
Personaly I believe that somone who can do everything, and do it well is better than a guy whos fly's one type of plane well, yet cant kill a panzer with a bomb...(though I could be wrong of course.)
Perhaps its team work, (id definatly like to think so) whatever, just fill in the blanks for me guys, as I need some yardstick with which to measure my progress, and others.
if I listen to what everyone tells me, im a piece of dirt that runs when the odds are bad because I dont have the skill to stand and fight a better turning plane, and also a worthless picker that preys on honest god fearing turn and burners, who after all are the BOMB! lol( I am your anvil please begin the hammering ) :aok
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
Re: What counts?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:38:32 AM »
Hoffman's Pilot Skill rating sheet:

The guy who shoots me down in a fair fight is better than me.
The guy who shoots me down in a furball is more opportunistic than me.
The guy who shoots me down when I'm not looking is luckier than me.

The guy I shoot down in a fair fight is worse than me.
The guy I shoot down in a furball is two seconds faster than me at getting back into the air.
The guy I shoot down when he's not looking is a moron and I'm an ub37 l337 r0kst4r pilot.

The only pilots who have real skill are the pilots who flew/fly fighters and bombers in real life.  Everyone else is just a gamer.  And yes, I'm just a gamer.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:18:16 AM »
Is it score? <SNIP>

When score can be converted to free gas at the pumps, or free groceries at the store, or free cash at the bank...I'll begin to play for score. Until then, I play to enjoy myself.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:21:26 AM »
Making it back to base after a sortie. :aok
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 07:29:22 AM »
Having someone call me a cheater or hacker makes my day.  :rock
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:47:52 AM »
Is it score?, is it the fact you would rather turn and burn over boom and zooming?, or is it respect amongst your peer's?
Could the ammount of post's youve made have somthing to do with it? or the length of time youve played or been in the Forums?
Perhaps its what plane you fly that is the statement of how good you are.

I have to wonder, since there is so much brow beating over silly things like "this guy runs away, and is afraid to fight" or "he isnt much of a pilot because he boom and zooms" or my personal favorite "well im smarter than so and so because my score is lower".

Alot of guys in the MA seem to put alot of stock into how well they DA, and will gladly offer to school anyone of us at the drop of a hat, though things like fair play, or clearly stating the rules of engagment are allowed to slip.....Do certain persons put to much stock in victory in the DA where SA is of no importance, and subterfuge is used in place of skill?

I ask all these silly questions, because after many years within the community ive seen score become very important to some guys, and to others ive seen the DA used as the ultimate statement of pilot skill, when in the end im not sure that either is a true reflection of a pilots "worth"

Fairplay seems to have gone the way of the Do Do in the DA, and several squads seem to function on the bases that it is ok to die in the MA as long as the victoriouse pilot can be suckerd into the DA where he cant ever seem to get a fair fight, be it the merge rule is broken, or one guy ho's another when it was clearly stated that ho's where to be avoided, or any other of a hundred ways that can be found to prey upon the guy who is honestly doing his best to give a fair fight.

So enlighten me... What is the measure of a pilots skill? 
Personaly I believe that somone who can do everything, and do it well is better than a guy whos fly's one type of plane well, yet cant kill a panzer with a bomb...(though I could be wrong of course.)
Perhaps its team work, (id definatly like to think so) whatever, just fill in the blanks for me guys, as I need some yardstick with which to measure my progress, and others.
if I listen to what everyone tells me, im a piece of dirt that runs when the odds are bad because I dont have the skill to stand and fight a better turning plane, and also a worthless picker that preys on honest god fearing turn and burners, who after all are the BOMB! lol( I am your anvil please begin the hammering ) :aok

what counts?

one thing counts, and one thing only.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Winks

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:51:49 AM »
Having someone call me a cheater or hacker makes my day. 
U cheater.....U hacker   :furious  :rofl :rofl

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:55:38 AM »
I wrote an article about this a few weeks ago. There are only two measures of a pilot that are meaningful for comparison outside his own realm of experience.

Fun and Effectiveness

You are either having fun or you're not. If you're not having fun playing in a certain way, even though you may be ranked #1, you lose. Conversely, if you're having a blast everynight and are ranked #3978, you win.

Effectiveness has nothing to do with score or rank. It pertains mostly to fighterdom but could apply to anything I suppose. Everyone flies differently, even when comparing them in the same plane, then add to that the large menu of planes we have and the differences are practically infinite. The only true measure of a person is how effective they are at downing enemy aircraft in a reasonable length of time (assuming w/o vulching them).

I am so sorry, but if you have a 0.567 K/D and a 0.346 K/S and you get 2 kills an hour, you simply aren't effective by any stretch of the imagination. You may very well be a God in the duelling arena, but you aren't an effective MA pilot. The opposite is true, if you have  5.5 K/d and a 3.2 K/S and you get 7 kills an hour, you are an effective MA flyer. You may very well suck goat niblets in the DA, but you are an effective MA flyer. By the way, I know many people in both of those extreme categories.

Now Fun and Effectiveness are not requirements of each other. There are many people who are very effective but also very miserable, having no fun at all. There are also very ineffective people having a complete blast. The truly great flyers have found the balancing point and are both having fun and are very effective.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:59:13 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:24:26 AM »
What counts to me is how well I fly with my squad in FSO....To be a helpful wingman or a competent flight lead and execute orders with lethal effectiveness.  It is a far greater challenge than anything the normal arenas have to offer.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »
long as I'm having a good time i don't give a shizzle what anyone else thinks. To many people think their opinions should matter to every one else.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 02:13:56 PM by whiteman »

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:33:56 AM »
     Judging skill is easy.  I use the "Aw $***" factor...how long after the merge am I saying
"Aw $***!"   :rofl
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »

The guy I shoot down in a furball is two seconds faster than me at getting back into the air.
The guy I shoot down when he's not looking is a moron and I'm an ub37 l337 r0kst4r pilot.

Seconded   :rofl
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 01:51:37 PM »
What counts is having fun, everything else is secondary.
<S>
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 01:53:36 PM »

Teamwork, Honor and Respect

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 02:14:56 PM »

The only pilots who have real skill are the pilots who flew/fly fighters and bombers in real life.  Everyone else is just a gamer.  And yes, I'm just a gamer.

my additions:
The guy that Ho's me is a hotard.
The guy I HO didn't hit his trigger fast enough.

The guy that picks me is a picking runtard.
The guy I pick has crappy SA.

The guy who kills me in a furball is a stick-stirring hack.
The guy I shoot down in a furball must be a newb.

But I suck anyway so it doesn't matter.   :cry

Flying with my squadies and having fun are paramount.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA