Author Topic: What has happened to the buffs/C47? Weak as...  (Read 165 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
What has happened to the buffs/C47? Weak as...
« on: September 16, 2000, 12:58:00 PM »
Hi

I'm just so surprised how easy they come down now.  I was in a B26 pinging at a con on my 6, I heard 2 pings and both my wings were gone.  No it wasn't an F4U, actually a Yak.

Next sortie... C47.  Ack popped up whilst I was skirting the field at about +2.5k and one ack shot hit me... and the next thing I'm in the tower?!  I've been hit by ack before in the past no problem - perhaps a little damage but instant death?

Anyone else experiencing this?  Just seems to have gone a bit too far IMHO.

Regards

'Nexx'
NEXX

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2000, 05:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by Replicant:

Anyone else experiencing this?  Just seems to have gone a bit too far IMHO.

Actually I was thinking just the opposite.  Waste a ton of ammmo just on a Lanc.  But u said B26 and I haven't seen one of those since 1.04 was released  

Wingnut

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2000, 07:14:00 PM »
I agree with wingnut's comment about the lanc - often feels like spitting at a concrete elephant for all the damage I do.

But maybe thats me.

The other bombers don't seem to have changed much - and I've attacked all of them several times.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Slyder

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2000, 10:03:00 PM »
Have you also noticed all bomber auto speed climb rates seem to have been lowered about 250fpm [something like 25% to @ 750fpm] & the cute little balloon at 10k to 3,000fpm that's been added before your climb rate settles back down to a whopping 650fpm?  Haven't checked to see what the new ceiling is for the rest of the bombers yet, but know I've only been able to get the Lancaster to auto speed climb at inches/min over 22,500'.  Just what we need, lower ceilings & an additional 25% flight time getting to any altitude.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2000, 05:45:00 PM »

Originally posted by Slyder:
Have you also noticed all bomber auto speed climb rates seem to have been lowered about 250fpm [something like 25% to @ 750fpm] & the cute little balloon at 10k to 3,000fpm that's been added before your climb rate settles back down to a whopping 650fpm?  Haven't checked to see what the new ceiling is for the rest of the bombers yet, but know I've only been able to get the Lancaster to auto speed climb at inches/min over 22,500'.  Just what we need, lower ceilings & an additional 25% flight time getting to any altitude.

the jump at 10k is the shift in wind layers.

- Jig

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2000, 06:49:00 PM »
Slyder,
I got a lanc up to 28k the other day after the climb got down to the inches per min by going level till the speed built up to over 200mph and hitting auto climb till it settled back down to 160 mph. I did this several times till I got to about 28k. It can be done but is a pain to do so.

BTW I did this offline, don't know if you can do it online or if you would have the room to do it. Took me almost all the way across the map to manage it.

------------------
MarkAT

"It is not the critic who counts,
it is the man in the arena..."
Teddy Roosevelt
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2000, 10:11:00 PM »
Nexx, a Yak is an amazing buff killer. Its guns are murderous at d300 or less.. and I bet that yak that killed you was closer than that.

I'd say HTC to make the other buffs as hard to shoot down as the ju88 and lancaster and power down the turbolasers. Ju88 and lancaster do need a little bit more bite in their guns.. like 25% more damage.. right now its like shoooting pistol caliber bb's out of it.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2000, 01:37:00 AM »
I think the balance is perfect.

Stupid approaches will kill ya if ya meet a Lanc. OTOH, if you know what you're doing, they're easy prey, provided you have the ammo.

They must not have their guns upped. The choice between the B17 and the Lanc is, here as in history, a choice between bomb load and defensive capabilities.

JU88's defenses are quite pathetic. I don't bother with guns, but go for maneuver defenses in one.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2000, 10:42:00 AM »
Tac, I open up on the Yak at 1.3k away, I'd lost my wings by .7k away, that's what surprised me the most.  It was coming in pretty fast, I didn't see any warp, but who knows.  I think it was 'one of those glitches' that just happen from time to time.

Regards

'Nexx'
NEXX

Jerry B

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2000, 11:04:00 AM »
I recently had the engine knocked out of my 109F4 by a Lanc at 800yds+ as I passed through what I thought was a relatively safe distance (moving from it's 7 to 9 o'clock admittedly). Not only are it's .303s much too powerful, but none of the guns carried by any of the AH bombers seem to suffer from recoil effects. (I remember my friends' grandfather, a rear gunner in a Lanc during WW2, saying that the .303s weren't much good at doing much damage unless the target was too close for comfort. 'Like spitting peas' was the term he used, if my memory serves me correctly).

[This message has been edited by Jerry B (edited 09-18-2000).]

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2000, 07:22:00 AM »
Remember the Lancaster tail guns are .50in not .303in...