Author Topic: Are there any RL pilots that play... And  (Read 2430 times)

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
Are there any RL pilots that play... And
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »
I was just curious how realistic is this game.  I mean I've never flown a plane but I sure feel like I could now.

Thanks

SWneocon
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
Re: Are there any RL pilots that play... And
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 12:20:04 PM »
Flying the plane is the easy part. Landing is what gets ya.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 12:20:34 PM »
<-- VFR pilot, and a tanker !

I know we got quite a few real life pilots here.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 01:27:35 PM »
The game is going to give you the basics on what the controls do but the game totally lacks the physical feedback you get in real life.  Let’s take keeping the ball centered as an example.  In real life you can be looking in any direction and get some feedback through the seat to know if you are coordinated or not.  In the game, you have to be looking at you instruments to know if the ball is centered.

The game has no peripheral vision, no inner ear, no neck or eye movement, no g forces, or even sun tracking through warmth or shadow.  I find I often get “lost” when maneuvering and watching an attacker near my six without those physical inputs.

In the game you don’t have to worry about traffic separation, ATC communications, weather, insurance, or how you are going to pay for the gas and maintenance.  The game really doesn’t compare at all to real life.  Thinking about it, I would say the flight portion of the game compares to flying a plane in real life the same way as driving a jeep in the game compares to driving a jeep in real life.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »
Like you can crank your neck looking back while pulling 6-9G !
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 01:34:44 PM »
What do military simulators have over this one.  I'm sure military pilots train in simulators,  there has to be some good from it. 

Obviously with the physical factors lacking that would make it un realistic,  but as far as other sim games and air combat games,  how does this one stack up? 

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 01:39:02 PM »
Adonai is a Marine Pilot. IIRC, I think he flew F18s or something.... Dont really know, it's been a while since I've talked to him.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 01:54:05 PM »
What do military simulators have over this one.  I'm sure military pilots train in simulators,  there has to be some good from it. 

Obviously with the physical factors lacking that would make it un realistic,  but as far as other sim games and air combat games,  how does this one stack up? 

Those pilots already know how to fly.  They went through a long and in depth training program to learn.  What the simulators teach are prodedures and systems integration to fit into the world.  In the military that world is not only ATC, weather and navigation but there's that pesky little detail of also fighting a battle.  They train in simulators not to learn how to fly but to manage their airplanes systems to help them more efficiently kill bad guys.  That's done on top of a civilian pilot who manages aircraft systems and unusual situations such as emergencies, systems failures and resource management.  The Military can build simulators and put pilots into situations where they learn how to handle their specific airplane without running the risk of putting two very expensive assets (plane and pilot) at risk.  They also use electrons as opposed to fuel.

Aces High is meant to be entertainment and does not provide an adequite experience to simulate flight training.  While flying in the real world is not a difficult proposition to master the basic operation of the airplane AH does not prepare you for the task at hand to operate sans flight training.

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 01:55:56 PM »
So I shouldn't put AH down on my resume when I apply to fly airliners? 

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 01:57:08 PM »
It wouldn't be half as bad as some of the weird stuff I've seen on resumes.  :huh

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 02:00:46 PM »

:rofl

It wouldn't be half as bad as some of the weird stuff I've seen on resumes.  :huh
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »

Had a guy come in a few days ago to fill in an app.  In case of emergency, notify  "EMS"
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »
On your resume don't include information about your favorite sports team, why you like NASCAR or your political affiliation.  Those come to mind as highlights I've seen in recent times.  The good news is I'm getting much better with my crumpled resume basketball hook shot into the waste basket.

I'd like to press a few of them into disc shapes, load them on a trap thrower and yell "Pull!"

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 02:41:16 PM »
I was just curious how realistic is this game.  I mean I've never flown a plane but I sure feel like I could now.

Your "feelings" (in this case) could get ya killed.  I have no doubt that you could "steer" the A/C, BUT I can assure you once I slap a wing in your face via a 45 deg turn, and pull a few "G's", your orientation will go out the window.   :)

Having owned/rebuilt a few Airplanes, I can tell ya for certain, flying a REAL A/C is much more  involved than "role playing" with online cartoon A/C.

"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »
Didn't your flying instructor ever tell you to not trust your body instinct and feeling? Instructor fail if he didn't !
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96