Author Topic: Jet age...  (Read 401 times)

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
Jet age...
« on: August 28, 2008, 05:09:22 PM »
Obviously, jets have takin over prop planes for almost everything (cept some of us hardcore private pilots :D ) and so crashes are more and more tragic and dangerous... one in particular that I found (no worries, pilot ejected JUST in the nick of time and noone was harmed) made me wonder... how much research and money is used in "safening" crashes in planes...

Let me give an everyday example, when you get into your car, odds are, when you look at the wheel, there's an airbag sign there, and some of the newer models, we have the side impact air bags... what are we doing to protect jet pilots who can't eject from going up into a big puff ball of fire?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCOow0hyg5Q

(as I said, pilot ejected, no worries)

EDIT!: Changed Video to one where noone was hurt... cept maybe the occasional ant. :D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 05:24:17 PM by trigger2 »
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Re: Jet age...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:13:31 PM »
Pilot ejected no worries and ended up in jail, there were dozens of people killed on the ground.  There are some very graphic videos from other angles. :(
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »
There were dozens of people killed on the ground.  There are some very graphic videos from other angles. :(

My apologies then, I haven't seen these video's, and just saw what I saw from this one, but it still brings up my question, what's being done to 'safen' the jets from going up in a big puffy ball of fire here?
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 05:22:34 PM »
http://www.airdisaster.com

Here you go - read the investigations.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 05:25:35 PM »
http://www.airdisaster.com

Here you go - read the investigations.

Changed the video...

Note... This thread was made to ask a question; the video was supposed to be a visual aid...
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »
Changed the video...

Note... This thread was made to ask a question; the video was supposed to be a visual aid...

Yep - sorry know that.  Just felt i should let you know about what happened.  The video kinda made me forget what the thread was about - i stumbled across a more graphic one by mistake one day, literally the video of the crash and then the guy filming ran over to try to find survivors  :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sknyliv_(Ukraine)_airshow_disaster info about the accident.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »
Yep - sorry know that.  Just felt i should let you know about what happened.  The video kinda made me forget what the thread was about - i stumbled across a more graphic one by mistake one day, literally the video of the crash and then the guy filming ran over to try to find survivors  :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sknyliv_(Ukraine)_airshow_disaster info about the accident.

Well thanks for letting me know, I wanted a crash that didn't hurt anyone, as it's a loss of human life, which I don't want this thread to be about...

:salute sir.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:40:25 PM »
That's one thing the Russians have going for them, their constant use and experience with ejection seats. 
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 05:47:59 PM »
try looking here for some good videos of flight. All different categorizes and such <S> RED26

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »
Not necessarily ejection seats but the opposite. Our new H-60s in the Navy used to have a flotation device that kept the aircraft afloat for some time longer then normal when the bird crashed landed into water. One small problem tho, the flotation device would inflate over the pilot and co-pilot doors so they could not open. So it only slowed down the time until drowning. Doh!
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »
If the pilot/co-pilot were fairly thin and agile they could possibly make it between the seats on the H-60's and out the side door though, correct?
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
If the pilot/co-pilot were fairly thin and agile they could possibly make it between the seats on the H-60's and out the side door though, correct?

Yes, average person with all their gear on could do it. But one of them probably wont make it. 
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 09:25:34 PM »
I was surprised how tight it is in the H-60 for pilots, one way in and one way out.  Roomy crew area though.  Heard a story in basic where they fit something like 15-20 people in the back.

Hijack over.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:27:05 PM by nirvana »
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 02:44:10 AM »
I know jets don't have them, but my prop plane has a ballistic chute. Pull the handle, a chute is shot out of a compartment behind the cockpit. It is connected, IIRC near the wing roots, the tail, and the engine block.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 02:56:17 AM »
I think that some Helicopters have a system that shoots off the rotor blades so the pilots can eject.

The UH-60 BlackHawk and/or HH-60 JayHawk crew and passenger seats have something like 12" clearance, meaning that you can slam into the  ground pretty hard while your seat AND the landing gear will absorb most of the impact.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:58:40 AM by EskimoJoe »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok