Author Topic: beginner fighter  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
Re: beginner fighter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 02:38:29 PM »
Spit IX.  You can E fight and turn fight in it.  It's best to learn all aspects of aerial combat so you don't get burnt out as fast.

Also, pay more attention to what the Trainer suggest instead of listening to what the rest of us dweebs say.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 02:41:50 PM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline nonaste

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 03:23:34 PM »
1) turn off the stall limiter  in   preferences  ---->  flight

2)  save head positions  using your arrow keys and hitting   f10

3)  hit  shift + f1 for full vis view

Lots of really informative answers.  Thanks.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
I believe the SpitVIII would be a superior choice to either the XVI or IX.

It has much the same climb rate and acceleration as the XVI, but is more stable in the turn and as a gun platform. You won't get ENYed out of flying it very often either.

It also has the longest range of any Spit, giving you up to 32 minutes of flight time at Military power in the main arena.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 04:44:17 PM »
Spit IX.  You can E fight and turn fight in it.  It's best to learn all aspects of aerial combat so you don't get burnt out as fast.

Also, pay more attention to what the Trainer suggest instead of listening to what the rest of us dweebs say.

Best advice posted in this thread, especially about listening and seeking the advice/assistance of a trainer.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Genericly I always suggest the N1K2 with Spit varients 8,9, or 16 as a close second.  They are all versitile for the fighter tactics they can be used for, and have forgiving flight characteristics.  Sometimes a new player asks with a particular fighting style, country, or model in mind which may have me guide them to other planes.  But the planes I mentioned are good for getting combat "seat time" in AH and allowing the best chance at finding some sucess and progress while getting a feel for the flight model.

Offline nonaste

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 07:28:49 PM »
Genericly I always suggest the N1K2 with Spit varients 8,9, or 16 as a close second.  They are all versitile for the fighter tactics they can be used for, and have forgiving flight characteristics.  Sometimes a new player asks with a particular fighting style, country, or model in mind which may have me guide them to other planes.  But the planes I mentioned are good for getting combat "seat time" in AH and allowing the best chance at finding some sucess and progress while getting a feel for the flight model.
Great.  Thanks.

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »
the 38 i found was the easyist to fly in the begining and was good because there is no convergince issues
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 12:00:10 AM »
Spit 16 would be the easy mode plane but I think if you learn to BnZ alil in a Typh it will help you out alil in the long run. It isnt the fastest bnz plane but it has a good climb rate which makes you become aware of the E of the other planes around you. I think flying made me more situationally aware
 :salute

You're the first person I've ever heard say a Typhoon would be a good starter plane. Honestly, it's not a great plane at anything other than the 4 X Hizookas.

1) Mediocre Range
2) Mediocre Climb
3) Decent Acceleration
4) Horrendous Rollrate
5) Mediocre Turnrate
6) Good Nose-low Deflection View
7) Good Control in Dives
8 )Bad Control Slow/Departs easily
9) Relatively Short Clip
10 Low Endurance

The problem for the Typhoon is its niche is occupied by several  better planes like the La7, PonyD, Fw190D and 109K. So, between the low ammo and gas you've got to kill the right planes at the time to avoid ending up bingo and no way to rtb. I definitely would not recommend a Typhoon to a new players. It's a medium to a medium-advanced plane.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 01:23:01 AM »
I would advise starting with a combo of the A6Ms, N1K, and KI-84.  Study what these airframes are best at, here on the BBS (and even better Soda's Eval site).  Then practice at using them for their strengths.

I would be inclined to tell you to learn the KI-84 more then the N1K, but that's just my preference.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline nonaste

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 05:43:26 AM »
Disregard.

That doesn't make any sense, I know but I couldn't just delete the post.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 05:58:07 AM by nonaste »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 05:44:20 AM »
Re: Niki vs. Spit.

I would suggest the Spit 9 or 8 as a "starter" ride over the Niki.  (and i'm a die hard niki flyer)

I can do things in a Spit 9/8 that I can't in the Niki. 
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 06:47:45 AM »
Easily, Spit 8,9 or 16. You can make mistakes in them and get away with it that you won't in any other fighter. Great for learning all aspects of ACM.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 07:26:48 AM »
I would suggest the Spit 9 or 8 as a "starter" ride over the Niki.  (and i'm a die hard niki flyer)
But then you don't have to spend time breaking them of the spit habit of "avoid stalling nose up in the verticle like the plauge" when they want to learn to fly other planes. N1K also has multi-stage flaps, and 20 more seconds of firing time.  I suggest either, but the N1K transitions to other airframes better.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 01:35:46 PM »
But then you don't have to spend time breaking them of the spit habit of "avoid stalling nose up in the verticle like the plauge" when they want to learn to fly other planes. N1K also has multi-stage flaps, and 20 more seconds of firing time.  I suggest either, but the N1K transitions to other airframes better.
strongly agree. spits may be better in the turn, but you seem to get dependent on them. after 2 yrs of flying, if i do a couple sorties in a la or spit 16 to break cap or what ever, i seem to get dependant on them. as murdr said, the nikki has a better airframe, more fire time, more cannon to get used to shooting targets and pulling lead, and most of all, it dives better, go faster and pull out easier  :D
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »
I think the answer comes down to whether the rookie "learns" in an easy mode plane or learns in a medium easy mode plane.

I never recommend a zeek, spit16, la7 or even the niki to new players. I think it is best in the long run to work a little harder in the beggining flying a mediocre plane and seek the help of the many excellant trainers. This way you will develop core acm skills that will eventually lead you to more fun and a better kill ratio. Starting off in a spit16 will do nothing to teach you how to out maneuver a better plane in an inferior one.

I also recommend a new player PICK A RIDE...any ride really (besides the aformentioned ones) and stick with that plane for atleast one tour. If you bounce from plane to plane it is much harder to understand the angles/energy of acm. You will always be confused. If you stick with one plane in the beggining it will be much easier to read all the clues....to judge energy and angles.

At the advanced level of flying it becomes crystal clear that what wins a fight is not so much the plane but how you enter the fight to start with and how you fly against the enemy.

Reverse engineering this theory you get back to the simple basics.....judging the energy of yours and the  enemy plane and understanding the actual angles of closure and turn. This basic fundamental skill is the root of all engagements.

Learning in a "easy" plane will not teach you this. Just learining what a stall turn, wingover, yo-yo, immel, etc is not enough.

The only way to really become proficient is to study the energy and angles....to consider how I must maneuver in relation to the other plane. A spit16 will do you no good against an inferior plane if you cant understand energy and angles.

The key is to pick one plane and learn that first. Then fly others AFTER you have become good ant your first plane. And again be sure to contact a trainer. This is the most important thing. A trainer will reduce your learning curve by months and make your playing experience much more fun.

Agent360