Author Topic: What's the point in trying to play  (Read 1649 times)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Re: What's the point in trying to play
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 06:25:31 AM »
You retracted the rants already, but I'm curious - this keeps coming up but I've never actualy seen Skuzzy "blame" players for their connection problems.
what he said. :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 06:52:59 AM »
I never recalled blaming anyone for a connection issue.  My stance has always been, it is within the power of every player to make a determination about the quality of the connection using tools such as Ping Plotter.

There is always something wrong somewhere on the Internet at any given minute of the day.  This being a national holiday weekend in the U.S., I would expect more problems with the Internet than during normal times.

No reason to get frustrated.  You can test the data path to the servers yourself.  Now, if the problem is on the return trip to your computer, then I have to run a complimentary trace/Ping Plot back to your computer as these utilities can only show the sending path in a network which runs asynchronous data paths.  You can tell this when the the problem shows to be the last or next to the last hop in the trace.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 07:58:18 AM »
You can rest assured that it isn't AH fault for disco's.Somewhere in the inner workings,there is flaw, in your system.I had similar problem,picked up phone,talked to Skuzzy"a true gentleman",and he suggested playing the game in the Win 98 mode,and bingo,problem solved.Hat's off to Skuzzy,and I hope you find your problem.
IronDog

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »
By the way, if your Ping Plot looks good, there are also services that can cause discos.  Such as Apples iPod/iTunes service for Windows as well as Quicktime.

Norton is a headache under Vista.  The only way to solve that problem is to remove Norton from the computer, then re-install the operating system.

And instant messenger can wreak havoc as well.

Basically, if a program outside of Aces High II, uses an Internet connection, it has the possibility of causing a disco.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 10:09:20 AM »
You retracted the rants already, but I'm curious - this keeps coming up but I've never actualy seen Skuzzy "blame" players for their connection problems.

That was a poor choice of words.  "places blame on the players computer or connection" would have been more appropriate.

By the way, if your Ping Plot looks good, there are also services that can cause discos.  Such as Apples iPod/iTunes service for Windows as well as Quicktime.

Norton is a headache under Vista.  The only way to solve that problem is to remove Norton from the computer, then re-install the operating system.

Basically, if a program outside of Aces High II, uses an Internet connection, it has the possibility of causing a disco.

I don't have any of those.  I'm going to have to look at whatever updaters exist (I know there's one for my HP network printer and for Adobe Acrobat).  I hope I can remember what all there is.  If you recall, this is a relatively new machine and I've kept it pretty slimmed down so there can't be that much stuff.

As far as my connection goes, I've run ping plotter and everything looks fine.  I used to go months on end without a disco.  It's just become an issue over the past month or so.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:32 AM »
I don't have any of those.  I'm going to have to look at whatever updaters exist (I know there's one for my HP network printer and for Adobe Acrobat).  I hope I can remember what all there is.  If you recall, this is a relatively new machine and I've kept it pretty slimmed down so there can't be that much stuff.

As far as my connection goes, I've run ping plotter and everything looks fine.  I used to go months on end without a disco.  It's just become an issue over the past month or so.

Packet loss - statistic collected from major routers across the world. As you can see, last weekend was really bad.

Even if your ping plot is OK, there's a good chance some of your other packets will get dropped. All depends how particular frame gets routed...

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 10:40:30 AM »
Someone lost 2 262s today when first, the map was reset for TT, and then they waited a couple minutes to reset scores which booted everyone again. :rofl
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 10:44:06 AM »
I disco every so often.... I have comcast and it is terrible. I wish Roadrunner would come back, they were much better.

That being said.... it's not really that bad. Things are good and it's great to be alive.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »
I still take issue with the word 'blame'.  I do not, nor ever have, blamed a computer or user for disco problems.  Discos will happen.  At some point everyone will experience it.  There is no point in blaming anything.  If the problem is chronic, then it is a matter of working through it.  If it happens once in a while, then it is pretty safe to attribute it to a network burp.

The problem with a disco is the sheer volume of places and circumstances which can cause it.  All you can do is start with the most likely place and work your way through it.

There will always be some areas of the country worse than others.  Then a storm can change that map quickly.  Yes, the weather in one part of the world, can effect your Internet connection in another part of the world.  Hurricanes in the southern U.S. can effect people in Alaska.  Ice storms in Canada can impact people in South Texas.  It is all about traffic management.  If a link goes down, another has to step up and carry the load.  The switchover can wreak havoc for a bit.  Routes change regularly on the Internet.  ISP's come and go.  The Internet is always in a state of flux.

Then you have all the local software that can wreak havoc with connections, then others on your own network can cause you problems depending on the applications they are running.  It is amazing it works as well as it does.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 02:23:23 PM »
You might as well check the background processes too.  It looks like you have a couple of auto updating processes(Norton, I-Tunes) that want to take over your net connection, and look for updates periodically.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Archive/servicecfg.htm  Will help you trim down those background processes, that may try to sneak your connection out from under you.  Plus AH runs smoother for me without all those wasted CPU cycles.

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 06:10:04 PM »

Number one problem in gaming right there. These apps will querry at will when not used for  period of time, and most of the time it will cause disco's. Also, most folks have a dozen (or two or three dozen) things running in the background....and don't even know it. EndItAll is one of the best apps out there to kill everything thats not windows related. YMMV in Pissta though.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 07:57:24 PM »
I got comcast, and im on a router, still nvr disco = /

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2008, 09:00:30 PM »
Skuzzy is a first class gentlemen...if you want to pick on somebody...talk to my x-wife!
<S> 999000

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2008, 09:41:47 PM »
Packet loss - statistic collected from major routers across the world. As you can see, last weekend was really bad.

(Image removed from quote.)

Even if your ping plot is OK, there's a good chance some of your other packets will get dropped. All depends how particular frame gets routed...
Right when I was ready to type....SkyRock<---owns Bighorn........WRONG again! :cry

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"