Author Topic: Larger maps to hold the larger player base....  (Read 340 times)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Larger maps to hold the larger player base....
« on: October 27, 2001, 11:16:00 PM »
The current maps with 300+ players are gonna be crowded!!  In all likelyhood leading to frame rate hits for everyone as well.
1.08 brought 255 possible bases to AH, is there a larger map in production for the MA?

Guys post your thoughts on this!

SKurj

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2001, 01:08:00 AM »
i like the idea...although it might take longer to get resets. this is what has turned me off on the mindinao terrain. right when i was actually begining to like it 1.08 comes out and its basically all we have, with a short 6 hour brake every week for SFMA. it sounds like a good idea though...almost all of us could use a FPS jump. i like furballs as much as the anybody but they are almost un-playeble sometimes when you get in one with 50-60 planes

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2001, 01:30:00 AM »
i hate the quick resets but i hate mindinao more. Revamp the euro map its a good size. More bases and some vbases i think it'll werk.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2001, 02:24:00 AM »
Not larger maps....

But more arenas.  

300+ people all crammed into 1 crowded arena is unnecessary, and not fun.  150 or so people per arena is good fun, and allows for some variety.

J_A_B

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2001, 03:04:00 AM »
no

look at the combat theatre

large maps have done wonders for it   :rolleyes:
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Beach

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2001, 01:11:00 PM »
I agree, we need larger maps.  there are enough people playing AH now that larger maps are warrented, but i think adding more arenas is not, at least not yet.
BeachS
483rd Tactical Fighter/Bomber Group

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
Fester, not larger distances between bases, just larger maps!

larger distances may have hurt the CT, not a larger map

SKurj

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
BTW, thanks for the link Skurj!

J_A_B

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
Mindanao map is pain in the bellybutton since its pretty much all I ever see in the MA.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2001, 07:21:00 PM »
"Mindanao map is pain in the bellybutton since its pretty much all I ever see in the MA."

I know the maps are usually rotated in AH.

But nonetheless, be happy with what you have here.  AH is a wonderful piece of technology, and the map currently in the MA is very nice.

BTW, which is your favorite AH map?  I personally liked the old MA map (the one used after the beta ended) best.

Speaking of maps, I still think it's time for AH to start branching into having more than 1 MA up.  You can't herd everyone into 1 arena forever and keep it practical.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2001, 09:36:00 PM »
larger maps mean less detail per given area than smaller maps.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2001, 10:09:00 PM »
Why Citabria?

1.08 raised the number of bases from 64 to 255, so I am assuming that means the number of objects has increased 4 fold or more as well.

SKurj

Offline Beach

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2001, 01:33:00 AM »
But with the larger map i would like to see each squad getting there own ship for amphibios assults

Offline WarChild

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2001, 11:38:00 AM »
wow.. I do want that map back so bad.. the 1 with A1 in the middle... GREAT map... that was all we had for so  long and i miss it so much

Offline Serapis

• Copper Member
      • http://www.keithreid.com
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
my two cents. Larger maps give more opportunity for unopposed milkrunning. I stopped playing in the MA of that that, ahemm, other sim a year before I left (paying just to play in scenarios) because the BIG PAC concept made it way too easy to be a big dweeb.

The pattern -- each country would settle into a comfortable corner of the map with huge odds and take relatively undefended bases. If the resistance got too tough, they would just move their numbers elsewhere on the big map. I never saw a point in it myself, capturing the field (through numbers and against minimal reisitance) became more important than a good fight to the community, which to me marked the death of the AW I first played in DOS before EA did its bit.

Usually, it was either be a banger or get banged with a lot of time spent flying around looking for a reasonable challenge with reasonably even odds. A handful of people would put up a modest, futile defense of the contested bases, but most would eventually seek the path of least resistance and join the numbers on the country's seperate offensive elsewhere.

Here, of course, there is the reset concept and tougher airfield/town capture and porkage (individual P-51s with one bomb and ccip bombsights can't effectively pork potential reisitance bases three deep from the desired capture field), so larger fields may not matter in the end. Just something to think about.

Charon

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Charon ]