Author Topic: Squad Vox Channel Availability  (Read 1452 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Squad Vox Channel Availability
« on: September 12, 2008, 08:47:42 AM »
Hello All,

Thank you ahead of time for any help or insight that you may shoot my way!  Here are my questions:

1) Is there an easier way than manually checking each vox channel to see if they are available for use?

2) I noticed you can select a generic Mission channel in Vox radio 5, is this only active when the mission starts or once you have joined the mission?

3) POTW is experiencing growing pains (3 wings), and it can get crazy with Pigs and friends on the same single Vox channel going after 2-3 different objectives at the same time.  What are some of the things you folks have done or implemented to deal with crowded vox issues?

<Salute>

Way

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Squad Vox Channel Availability
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
3) Use hand signals.   :lol
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 09:13:21 AM »
3) Use hand signals.   :lol

Hello Dot,

In my best monotone voice "thank you".

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 09:19:32 AM »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:26:22 AM »
Just one of the limitations of the game you have to deal with. Your only 'true' squad channel is '4 squad' . Numbered channels are OPEN and nobody has rights to any of them.
Personally I think its kind of funny when you have some squad thinking a numbered channel is theirs and they have the right to dictate who uses it. Give info out on one of those, it's your problem if the info gets into the wrong hands.

I do think it would be nice if you could somehow link squad channels or piggyback them with others to secure communications. That's a topic for the wish list forum.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:29:15 AM »
Sorry waystin, I don't have anything good to offer other than:

1) You probably have to manually check

2) I don't fly in missions, so don't know

3) Have vox channels for each wing if you're attacking different objectives - could be just one number up/down from each other. Or just start practicing combat brevity on vox - "High bogey northeast 3+ miles" instead of "Looks like there might be a con coming from the northeast...I think he might be pretty high but I can't tell what he is because he's too far away."
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:30:08 AM »
Seriously, Way.  Try TeamSpeak or some other similar program.

Out of all you guys someone oughtta be able to pony (pig?) up the $5 or so per month.  

That way you can set up as many channels as you like.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:36:54 AM »
Thank you all for the feedback.  We are in process of setting up some Vox disciplines and brevity speak, but it will take time (it's not easy roping together what is now some 65+ wild Pigs).

<Salute>

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:03:49 PM »
The way my previous Squad did things was when your in combat, its range or text, no hoggin up squad vox to say "watch that Typhoon diving in XYZ" or "how you guys doin on fuel, im gettin low". and wen CO talked, it was shut up and listen, or get chewed a new one on the CO's bad nights  :(
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 08:40:19 AM »
Ventrillo!

There is no way to "lock" the tuned channels, or Password protect them, etc. I have often wished there was.

As squadrons in AH have gotten larger, it gets increasingly difficult to manage communications.
Either you have some canadian burping in your ear, and saying "EH" all the time.

Or you can't directly hear and talk to squad mates. Can't find em, wing up, etc. Because they are technically in another squadron.
The heart of the matter is the 32 person limit per squadron, and thats not going to change.

Ventrillo is ok if your JUST useing ventrillo, if you fly with it every day or 2. Then eventually you learn the keys, and get things sorted out. However our squads big thing is FSO, and half the problem is half of us forget what we were doing with ventrillo in between frames.  I don't know what the answer is. Hopefully someday when the "Lord and Master" the "Great and Powerful" "Lord Hitech" has a minute or 6 he'll take pity on us poor mortals and find us a better solution. (Gets out of his chair, turns toward Texas, kneels, bows 16 times saying the 16 holy words.)

PLEASE oh great and powerfull HiTech we beeseecheth thee.
Truly we are dust under thy feet, but that very dust doth support thee.
Thou art the Alpha and the Omega but we art stucketh in the middle.
HTC hear our plea.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 11:05:11 AM »
Ventrillo!

Either you have some canadian burping in your ear, and saying "EH" all the time.

Hey!

I resemble that remark Sir! :lol

RTR
The Damned

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 11:56:45 AM »
The way my previous Squad did things was when your in combat, its range or text, no hoggin up squad vox to say "watch that Typhoon diving in XYZ" or "how you guys doin on fuel, im gettin low". and wen CO talked, it was shut up and listen, or get chewed a new one on the CO's bad nights  :(
Part of the problem for us is that alot of the old pigs,myself included, like to just chat with them about whatever honestly. We also have pigs who just dont like to be social with other people :devil
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback.  We are in process of setting up some Vox disciplines and brevity speak, but it will take time (it's not easy roping together what is now some 65+ wild Pigs).

<Salute>
Great, another Bop thing, the 32 man/squeaker limit isn't enough, so you would like yo reserve even MORE room for your emerging borg cube....makes the game so much fun to have 50 sectors, and an enTIRE country crammed into ONE of them, whording base after base like a tidal wave. I'm sure THIS is the very sort of thing that HT had in mind when he created this game :aok
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 11:58:57 PM »
we seem to do more fighter sweeps than base takes lately anyway.  And so what? if a bunch of pigs come at you, get a bunch from your country to oppose us.  We LIKE to fight.  An undefended base is BORING! Defend your terrirtory, PLEASE! nothing more fun than 30 planes on each side duking it out in a swirling furball!

S!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »
Great, another Bop thing, the 32 man/squeaker limit isn't enough, so you would like yo reserve even MORE room for your emerging borg cube....makes the game so much fun to have 50 sectors, and an enTIRE country crammed into ONE of them, whording base after base like a tidal wave. I'm sure THIS is the very sort of thing that HT had in mind when he created this game :aok

Hello BJ,

I wanted thank you for providing such helpful information in the "Help and Support" forum.:rolleyes:  If you cannot contribute in a helpful manner on this forum, then put a cork in your pie-hole.:D  Please keep trash talking to 200 or the "General Discussion" forum with the rest of your gradeschool friends. :lol

<Salute>