Author Topic: Icons  (Read 287 times)

Offline -cman-

• Zinc Member
      • http://cman.digitalmechanics.cx
Icons
« on: September 29, 1999, 12:28:00 PM »
While I think, in the abstract, having the exact range displayed in the in-flight icon is a good thing from a gunnery standpoint.  I found that having that number winding down at a really extraordinary rate was *very* distracting.

The eye automatically wants to look at movement and high-contrast.  In the words of the Tick, "Oooh, bright, shiny object."  Having those bright, bold numbers scrolling while trying to look at the actual con to judge attitude, etc. and line up the shot is very, very hard.

This is doubly true as the aircraft camo (especially the Spit) do a good job (at least on my ATI/Sony combo) of blending into the ground clutter.

All in all, while a good concept, I just don't think it is going to work to hot in practice.  How about setting the range to round off to the nearest 5 yards?  At least then the numbers wont plow down so fast.

Anyhow, just my $.02.  In all other respects I have no complaints.  Flew 1.5 hours last night.  No discos, no warps.  Mucho fun.

------------------
-cman-
The Dweebs of Death
"Death before dishonor,
often just moments
before."

-recc-

Icons
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 1999, 04:13:00 PM »
Motion seconded. Maybe the eye gets used to it later, but even then it's perhaps a bit too good to be able to tell the distance in individual yards.

Offline Surfer

• Zinc Member
Icons
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 1999, 05:52:00 PM »
cman...

... great observation.

I agree on all points.

-Surfer
"If you're not having fun...you're doing something wrong"

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Icons
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 1999, 05:58:00 PM »
The numbers that wind down, Errr?

Yards?

Feet?

Meters?

I set my convergence 250 Ft.

So is that where my target is when the numbers read two fift.  Or are they at 250 Yards?

6K? 6000Ft.  6000 Yards,  6000 Meters?

Just asking.

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG

Offline Kats

• Zinc Member
      • http://jg27.org
Icons
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 1999, 06:29:00 PM »
Ageed here as well. 759 yards or 758 yards means nothing to me. 7.5 7.4 7.3 is more than enough.

Offline Windle

• Copper Member
Icons
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 1999, 11:54:00 PM »
I second the motion.

------------------
Lt. Jg. Windle
VF-17 'The Jolly Rogers' 8X

Skychrgr@aol.com  

chisel

Icons
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 1999, 12:38:00 AM »
agree!

icons should be thinner, lose the bold type

Bolter

Icons
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 1999, 12:23:00 PM »
Agreed all, pls downsize the icons.  They overpower the cons, clutter the screen.

An excellent beta, HTC!

<S>

Bolter