Author Topic: McCain Boasts Economy Strong..While Dow and S&P both drop 5%  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: McCain Boasts Economy Strong..While Dow and S&P both drop 5%
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 09:44:51 AM »
hell...until the brokers start jumping off highrise buildings I intend to just keep on going about my daily business.

Unfortunately McCain is right......the financial market needs sensible regulation restored in order to keep the greedy bastards honest.  Greed is the number one killer of a free market economy.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 11:29:43 AM »
hell...until the brokers start jumping off highrise buildings I intend to just keep on going about my daily business.

Unfortunately McCain is right......the financial market needs sensible regulation restored in order to keep the greedy bastards honest.  Greed is the number one killer of a free market economy.

I completely agree... a sensible amount of regulation is in order.  However, I somehow doubt that will become a reality when Mr. McCain relies on Phil Gramm for his economic advice.  He's been advocating complete deregulation for the past decade, and slipped the current deregulation responsible for the current crisis into the budget in the dead of night prior to the vote on the budget the next day.  McCain isn't going to do it himself.... he doesn't understand it, those are his own words.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 11:31:58 AM »
John McCain's exact words were "the economy is in crisis, but the fundamentals are Strong, and I believe in the American worker." His whole point was what that small business were the way out of this. Not bailing out greedy companies that played roulette with our money.

Those were his exact words in his second speech of the day.  You know, after his advisors let him know that the markets were all plunging.  He simply changed it to "american worker" in order to look less out of touch.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »
i laugh when obama says he wont raise taxes on less then 250k  YEA RIGHT.  He raises taxes on 250k or greater
which means most all businesses. your really think they wont raise prices?? lol in the end he is raising taxes
on the working/low income classes.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 11:33:37 AM »
I hope you arent implying we are in a Recession. Because the economy is still climbing. I hope you know that.

By what measuring stick are you using, please?  Any backup to that statement?
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »
McCain isn't going to do it himself.... he doesn't understand it, those are his own words.
Your being unfair, but that's OK.  Professional Economists have a hell of a difficult time trying to understand the economy.  Rarely can you get two of them to agree on anything.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 11:48:41 AM »
Moray, the legislation that set this failure in motion has Clinton's autograph on it. Biden is the clown that turned the credit card companies loose. Chris Dodd, another democrat, has been the ranking member and head of the banking committee. Your 'boyz' hands are far from clean on this... it was their watch too.

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 11:51:09 AM »
It all started with Reagan's deregulation of the SnL's...

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »

I just knew it somehow had to be Reagan's fault.  I just knew it.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 11:57:57 AM »

Nope. Nice try MT. Started with a democrat. Point remains.. this is not a partisan failure. Both sides of the isle have contributed to this... time to get a new set of senators and new congressmen. lets not send a single incumbent back to capitol hill.

Much of the deregulation of banking/credit started with Carter in 1978. The Regan administration continued the trend in 88. Almost every administration has had their hand in deregulation and easing of oversight on the financial community. Money well spent by lobbyists. I think we should pull all the pot heads out of jail and replace them with politicians.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »
I completely agree... a sensible amount of regulation is in order.  However, I somehow doubt that will become a reality when Mr. McCain relies on Phil Gramm for his economic advice.  He's been advocating complete deregulation for the past decade, and slipped the current deregulation responsible for the current crisis into the budget in the dead of night prior to the vote on the budget the next day.  McCain isn't going to do it himself.... he doesn't understand it, those are his own words.

Phil Gramm may have slipped the legislation into the budget, but Congress and the President approved it.

For the record, I am not in favor of tacking things onto the budget or other bills, you want something? Get your own legislation passed.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 12:11:16 PM »

I think now at last we can drink from the bottom glass in the "Trickle Down" Theory
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 12:14:10 PM »
I think now at last we can drink from the bottom glass in the "Trickle Down" Theory

I do expect you'll enjoy the taste.. there's plenty of democratic urine & feces floating in it.

...at home, or abroad.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 12:34:59 PM »
when republicans are in office, thee debt goes up and the rich get richer and the middle income pay for it all.  When democrats are in office, the debt gets paid, the rich are still rich and the middle income folks feel there is a fighting chance. :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
when republicans are in office, thee debt goes up and the rich get richer and the middle income pay for it all.  When democrats are in office, the debt gets paid, the rich are still rich and the middle income folks feel there is a fighting chance. :aok

The last time the federal budget was balanced, Newt was Speaker of the House.

Why is this important?

Because CONGRESS is reponsible for taxing, spending and borrowing.

The National Debt is the responsibility of CONGRESS
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:49:14 PM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!