Author Topic: F6F Recall  (Read 4983 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: F6F Recall
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2008, 09:49:19 AM »

"If" my assumption points at what is a mere oversite, then perhaps this could be remodelled in the next patch?

Really hard to say if they are going to be stubborn about this or not. I do know they will be fixing the tail problem which I myself have not noticed a problem with but is definitely there according to many. The view prob should be an easy fix for them but I've seen no word of any change they may make to it. Ya know how artists are  :lol

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2008, 10:04:51 AM »
You can see pretty much the same amount of the horizontal tail in both the narrow and wide angle shots, so I'd say the blindspot is about the same.

ah....yes....good point. :o

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2008, 11:11:51 AM »
It's been broadened for the next patch.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
I read an interview with a luftwaffe pilot who said that they would loosen the shoulder straps so they could literally 'put an eye to the glass' to see behind them in the Me109. I would think that american pilots in planes with bad rear views would do something similar.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2008, 09:52:06 AM »
 Bubble canopy's were introduced for a reason. :aok
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »
I read an interview with a luftwaffe pilot who said that they would loosen the shoulder straps so they could literally 'put an eye to the glass' to see behind them in the Me109. I would think that american pilots in planes with bad rear views would do something similar.

The shifts in head positions in-game, already simulates it.

If we had only strictly restricted movement as if with tightened seat belts, the FoV would be more akin to what we see in IL2 by 1C:Maddox.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »
I think the point some of these gentlemen have been trying to make is that "head" movement is too restrictive in the F6F, while other gentlemen have been arguing that "head" movement is too lax in general. My point was that in real life the pilots did move about in the cockpit.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2008, 12:40:35 AM »
I like it but I just cant see behind me.
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2008, 03:12:44 PM »
I think the point some of these gentlemen have been trying to make is that "head" movement is too restrictive in the F6F, while other gentlemen have been arguing that "head" movement is too lax in general. My point was that in real life the pilots did move about in the cockpit

Under what Gs?

There's a world of difference looking behind when you are sitting in a cockpit at normal 1G level flight, and then trying the same thing while making 4G breaking turns. If anything else, the restrictions could simply be considered a compromise between the two.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for having a totally sophisticated system that might simulate the varying degrees of body/head movement under different G loads. Unfortunately, since AH doesn't have such a thing in place, HT simply drew a line somewhere and made a new standard as opposed to the ol' "mega-wide panoramic Linda Blair view" we used to have. The forward/backwards/sideways movement inside the more recently modelled planes are a lot more restrictive than the old ones, and F6 is certainly not the only plane under this influence.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2008, 04:59:08 PM »
Under what Gs?

There's a world of difference looking behind when you are sitting in a cockpit at normal 1G level flight, and then trying the same thing while making 4G breaking turns. If anything else, the restrictions could simply be considered a compromise between the two.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for having a totally sophisticated system that might simulate the varying degrees of body/head movement under different G loads. Unfortunately, since AH doesn't have such a thing in place, HT simply drew a line somewhere and made a new standard as opposed to the ol' "mega-wide panoramic Linda Blair view" we used to have. The forward/backwards/sideways movement inside the more recently modelled planes are a lot more restrictive than the old ones, and F6 is certainly not the only plane under this influence.

Really? I assume the Me109's are "recently modelled"? They have excellent rear views, can even see the vertical stabilizer. Didn't someone already post that the F6F's views were being fixed in the next patch?

-Gandhi

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2008, 06:12:09 PM »
Under what Gs?

There is no "new standard"... You're imagining it. The problem was simply insufficient head movement, in all directions.

Rear view on the F6F is broadened on the next patch.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »
There is no "new standard"... You're imagining it. The problem was simply insufficient head movement, in all directions.

Rear view on the F6F is broadened on the next patch.

So you deny that there's a general trend of rear views and head positions being much more restricted than it was in AH1?

The odds are, however the rear view may be broadened it's not going to be as broad and wide and clr as the old AH1 stock F6F.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2008, 04:59:37 AM »
I got into a couple of real flaps-out stallhorn-blaring rolling scissor knifefights with Banshee5's Seafire just now, great fun. :D It seems the Hellcat no longer does that low speed roll wobble when you stall it with flaps out, it just drops a wing a little when you hit the limit. I'll have to test it properly offline, but has anyone else noticed an improvement in low speed handling?

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2008, 06:39:51 AM »
Oh Dear God, thats all we need - Greebo not having problems with low speed handling  :D

Enjoy running across Greebo - even tho I lose every single time - and dont last long either  ;)

<S>

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2008, 05:41:43 AM »
Don't worry Wurzel. ;) I've since managed to get the F6F into one of those weird stalls. Either I wasn't trying hard enough before or they raised the threshold a bit.