Author Topic: The FW-190 series is the most poorly flown plane in the game  (Read 8506 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: The FW-190 series is the most poorly flown plane in the game
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 09:44:32 AM »
N1K, Spit, 51 all have horrible pilots generally. 190 is hard to fly but I've actually run into several good 190 drivers. BTW the P38 might lose the "toughest to fly" award- with the update the F6F with the non-existent 6 view is making a great bid  :cry

Nop, 190s are easy to fly.  Fly fast and straight and look for bombers.  Dive away when fighters around.  It was designed for that  ;)
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »
The question is really then, why on earth would you pick to fly a plane that cannot go defensive when low and slow?

Fixed. :aok

You've just inspired me to fly the 190 today.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 10:40:25 AM »

lol, and do what with it? 

I ll be in the TA practicing flying fast and picking people off of the runways  :rofl

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »

Soo more picking then?
See Rule #4

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 11:10:44 AM »
I've noticed in the last couple of months "picking" somehow has become a dirty word. If you "pick" someone, you're no better than pond scum.
I've never known the 190 to be a dogfighter, at least not against your basic turn fighter planes. Picking I'm sure in real life is the preferred mode of attack in any combat situation... hit & run!, turn and fight if you have to. Why would you expect someone to choose to fly a 190 as a furball plane, even in a cartoon war, that's just dumb. If people are looked down upon for using the planes in this game as they were used in the real world, then we may as well take them all out of the game and rename the game Spitfires High.   :rolleyes:   :salute
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 11:36:44 AM »
I've noticed in the last couple of months "picking" somehow has become a dirty word. If you "pick" someone, you're no better than pond scum.
I've never known the 190 to be a dogfighter, at least not against your basic turn fighter planes. Picking I'm sure in real life is the preferred mode of attack in any combat situation... hit & run!, turn and fight if you have to. Why would you expect someone to choose to fly a 190 as a furball plane, even in a cartoon war, that's just dumb. If people are looked down upon for using the planes in this game as they were used in the real world, then we may as well take them all out of the game and rename the game Spitfires High.   :rolleyes:   :salute

Very true!  The question remains though.  Why pay $15 a month to vulch and pick.  Off line is kind of free now days

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »
Imo, the worst flown plane in the game is the N1k.  The P-51 gets second place honors.  That's not to say that the 190 isn't near the top of the list, though.

Ok, as for the 190, notice that what you describe here is the exact same thing that you complain about later:

Don't confuse jinking with that stick stirring, bury the stick and snap roll a dozen times thing that folks do.  I do not fly that way.  I have never stick stirred in this game and if you see my plane spinning out of control it's because I departed it  :rock

I'm calling BS on some of the posts here.  I can't believe, just can't believe, that Dedalos is coming on here and advocating BnZ, even in the 190.  Dude, I've seen you dogfight that plane.  I've seen it, and not just you but other folks.  Just because the plane doesn't turn doesn't mean it can't fight.

I've seen some poor Pony flying, yes, but I have so rarely seen a 190A8 that stuck around to fight that I stick by my initial statement.  The A8 is the porkiest plane in the set. 

I think I may just start flying the 190 exclusively instead of the 109.  See if it makes me porky.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 11:49:02 AM »
Besides the p-51, i love flying 190s.  Yea, that are tough birds to handle but to fly them take time in them.  Know plenty of people who fly them and do things with them that i can't do.  
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »
Toonces where ya been man you've been doing a lot of typing and not a lot of flying, my .f toonces3 comes up blank every time.

I've got like 9 hours this month...we're just missing each other online.  It's hard for me to get any flying in until I put the kids to bed, so I'm not on too much before 8pm west coast time.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 12:12:26 PM »
"Pick" is just a pejorative word for clearing a friendly's 6.  If you don't pick, I don't want you flying anywhere near me.  Moreover, in a multi-aircraft engagement, which kills are not picks?  Everyone's looking at one or two bandits, while being pursued by others, all at the same time.  Therefore, if in a multi-aircraft engagement every kill is a "pick," then the word "pick" is meaningless in that kind of situation.  Heck, I get accused of picking when I am the only knight in icon range attacking bish or rooks. :lol

Lastly, frowning on picking is simply counter to wingman tactics, which is where ACM really gets interesting.  What should be frowned on is guys dumping their altitude to be the 3rd or 4th guy on a bandit.  That is a waste of resources and, again, I don't want any pilot who does that around me.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »

Hello Alky,

I agree with you here.  I would never fly the 190's like I fly some other types of planes.  As far as picking...all of us do it, only some of us admit it.  After a year and half in Aces High, I have picked and been picked by new pilots to some of the quote unquote better pilots.  Fly the planes you like, the way you like to fly them.  If someone tells you the way you fly doesn't measure up to their cartoon ROE, then they can just lump it.   :aok

<Salute>
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
I'm calling BS on some of the posts here.  I can't believe, just can't believe, that Dedalos is coming on here and advocating BnZ, even in the 190.  Dude, I've seen you dogfight that plane.  I've seen it, and not just you but other folks.  Just because the plane doesn't turn doesn't mean it can't fight.

Heh.  I remember Dedalos swearing his way through the AvA one evening in an A8.  Fact is, the A8 is a pig, the A5 is a piglet (with or without lipstick).  Their guns are so good that their snapshot capability makes them seem more fearsome than they are.  Against a competent pilot flying almost anything else, though, the FWs are toast.  The people who do well in them (see JG11 and former JG54 members, for example) use them historically; that is, they fly in pairs (or more), they try to initiate combat from an altitude advantage, and they disengage when their planes slow down to 250 or less.  Really superior pilots, like Dedalos and Batfink and some others, can get you in FWs, but usually that's because of your own overconfidence.

- oldman

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
Just checking some of my stats in the 190:

Tour 97-
190A8:  8 kills, 1 death; lot of bomber kills though.  Might have been a couple of lucky buff hunts...

Tour 92-
190A5:  17 kills, 5 deaths; a bunch of B-24 kills, but a sampler platter of fighters as well.

Tour 91-
190A5:  12 kills, 1 death; almost all fighter kills.

Tour 90-
190A5:  20 kills, 6 deaths
190D9:  8 kills, 4 deaths (ooof).  Think I had a few augers here, I remember augering a handful of D9's one tour.

Tour 89-
190D9:  22 kills, 11 deaths.
190A5:  3 kills, 1 death.

Tour 88-
190D9:  5 kills, 0 deaths.

I think I'm going to go ahead and give the 190 a try for a while.  See how it handles in the MA.  I think it can be effective.  I don't think it needs to be relegated to intercepting buffs, porking fields, and suicide vulching.  I don't have a single kill in the f-model.  Maybe I'll start there.  

I'll let y'all know how it goes.  If you see me up there in my 190, be sure to say hello. :aok

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 12:44:53 PM »
Very true!  The question remains though.  Why pay $15 a month to vulch and pick.  Off line is kind of free now days

Because the average guys would rather not listen to people who'd like to coerce them into paying $15 a month to become easy kills, by engaging in fights they are not comfortable or confident with.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »
I don't have a single kill in the f-model.  Maybe I'll start there.  

I recommend the 500kg bomb and 12 rocket package for ground attack.  To employ the rockets effectively against tanks it's helpful to get very close before you fire, e.g. 800 or even 600 yards out.  One direct hit will kill a tiger.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!