Author Topic: Your thoughts on the Typhoon?  (Read 3960 times)

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
Your thoughts on the Typhoon?
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:24:10 PM »
Hey everyone, just wondering what your thoughts are on the Typhoon. I seem to be getting a good bit of success in it lately. Though it does have its low points. Very poor roll rate, and a very vulnerable radiator. It does retain speed pretty well. The 20mm Hispano's are deadly. Anyway's, I just want to know what everyones thoughts are on this aircraft. I have learned that if flown right, she will treat you very well. And any pointers will be helpfull. Thank You and have a great weekend.

LuvMonky

71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Your thoughts on the Typhoon?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:26:50 PM »
Climb to 20k. Look for target, point plane at target, put blindfolds on, hold down trigger then pray.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »
Great attack plane
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:51:05 PM »
The Typhoon is a sniper's plane. The fabulous nose-low deflection view combined with the great 4 X 20mm gun package is incredible in the hands of someone with good > tremendous aim. It has a relatively short clip so if you're not a good shot there's much better performing planes in the hanger to fly than the Typhoon.

From a flying perspective it really only has three assets:

A) Good top speed at low to medium altitude where most fights occur.
B) Good acceleration allowing you to dump E for a guns solution then re-gain it relatively quickly.
C) A Very good high speed turn rate combined with only mild control compressability easily moderated with manual elevator trim bolstered by very robust structural integrity in a dive.

Those three things mean you can force yourself upon a bandit at high speed, pull agressively with strong rudder authority and/or throttle chop for deflection shots even if the bandit sees you and breaks hard. Then you can stay with almost any plane for at least 90 degrees so long as he is going at least moderately above his best corner speed. In short, a marksman's wet dream.

The Typhoon has several glaring deficiencies. The most pronounced is its absolutely horrid rollrate, almost the very worst in the game, making it an extremely terrible plane to scissor with. It also has a poor climb rate, sustained turn rate and very unforgiving low speed stability and departure characteristics.

So, it's a plane you want to keep fast and try all kinds of high angle deflection shots with, but not get slow with unless you are dumping E to force an overshoot for a snap shot opportunity which the Typhoon is good at. Under almost no circumstances do you want to get into anything like a vertical or horizontal scissors with the Typhoon. I like to use it as a yo-yo plane in order to come down vertically or obliquely for high deflection shots, I don't like to get horizontal with it in most situations, but instead keep it "three dimensional".
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 12:36:38 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 05:03:59 AM »
and she is very pretty all decked out in her invasion stripes :)

:D

Zazen as always has given a wonderful rundown on her. I like convergence at 350 to 400, hizookas are lethal with enough hits at slightly longer ranges.

Also for a cool read on the real deal Typhoon and Tempest aces by Osprey books is cool as hell...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 05:07:33 AM by BillyD »
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 05:15:58 AM »
I love the Typhoon, looks deadly just sitting there on the ground.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 07:35:26 AM »
As always, great, informative post Zaz!  Don't forget to put me on that "pre-order" list for the book,  :D
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 08:50:52 AM »
The Typhoon is a sniper's plane. The fabulous nose-low deflection view combined with the great 4 X 20mm gun package is incredible in the hands of someone with good > tremendous aim. It has a relatively short clip so if you're not a good shot there's much better performing planes in the hanger to fly than the Typhoon.

From a flying perspective it really only has three assets:

A) Good top speed at low to medium altitude where most fights occur.
B) Good acceleration allowing you to dump E for a guns solution then re-gain it relatively quickly.
C) A Very good high speed turn rate combined with only mild control compressability easily moderated with manual elevator trim bolstered by very robust structural integrity in a dive.

Those three things mean you can force yourself upon a bandit at high speed, pull agressively with strong rudder authority and/or throttle chop for deflection shots even if the bandit sees you and breaks hard. Then you can stay with almost any plane for at least 90 degrees so long as he is going at least moderately above his best corner speed. In short, a marksman's wet dream.

The Typhoon has several glaring deficiencies. The most pronounced is its absolutely horrid rollrate, almost the very worst in the game, making it an extremely terrible plane to scissor with. It also has a poor climb rate, sustained turn rate and very unforgiving low speed stability and departure characteristics.

So, it's a plane you want to keep fast and try all kinds of high angle deflection shots with, but not get slow with unless you are dumping E to force an overshoot for a snap shot opportunity which the Typhoon is good at. Under almost no circumstances do you want to get into anything like a vertical or horizontal scissors with the Typhoon. I like to use it as a yo-yo plane in order to come down vertically or obliquely for high deflection shots, I don't like to get horizontal with it in most situations, but instead keep it "three dimensional".

Thanks for all the responses guys. Very informative. Yeah, i have my convergence set out to 350 and that seems to work perfectly for me. Again, Thanks guys.  :salute
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 08:53:07 AM »
i luv my typh. started flying it in dec 2005, kermit took me under his wing and showed me how to fly it and i been flyin it ever since. i hear people complain that it has a sucky rollrate and that its a brick. however IF you take the time to fly it, learn what it can or cant do, you can learn to push the plane to the limit and get it to perform better than alot of others that fly it. most people use it for ground attack, pork ords or simply to just BnZ. myself on the other hand love to furball in it, i'm not scared to get it low and slow on the deck and i'll fight anything in it. keep flyin the typh, its a great plane!
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »
agreed betty :). I started flying it as a fighter last tour and its a fun ac to fly when you get used to it, and thats the key, it is a little quirky so you have to take time to get used to its feel. keep it fast where it turns pretty good, use yoyos etc like zazen said and take those snapshots :aok

tip: you can negate some of its deficiencies by forcing the fight to right hand turns, swings performance in your favour a bit ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:06:21 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »
Anyway's, I just want to know what everyones thoughts are on this aircraft.

It burns as well as a George. :t
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 10:18:48 AM »
Range is pretty limited.  100% internal is only 27min.  So it pays well to manage your throttle and RPM's to get more air time.

My only "Beef" is dead stick it fallls out of the sky like a brick.  It does not glide at all.  The only other plane that glides this poorly is the zeke.  Otherwise it's fun to fly.

Helm ...out
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 01:02:16 PM by Helm »
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 10:19:03 AM »
4 20-'s, tons of rounds, all ya need is 1 ping
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline scot12b

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »
Climb to 20k. Look for target, point plane at target, put blindfolds on, hold down trigger then pray.
RumbleB  said it for me :salute

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 10:48:52 AM »
4 20-'s, tons of rounds, all ya need is 1 ping
Not really.  I recall hitting an La-7 with ten rounds and getting nothing for it.  They were not focused and came one at a time over an extended maneuver fight in which I eventually stalled out and had a Plane vs Ground contest resulting in a proxy kill for the La-7.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-