Author Topic: The Head-On  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
Re: The Head-On
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2008, 01:05:44 PM »
I Ho'ed the cr@p out of a guy last night,he was in a 51 about 15 k at speed i was in a jug about 5 k not yet up to speed, he kept turning into me and i gladly turned nose on him and blew my 50's off till he went boom.To be fair the guy sucked i later tried to fight him one on one co alt and he ran 25 miles so he could run me through his ack 4 times,till i got bored and went home.And as bad as i want to shout out his name to the world i wont.

Say it!!! Say it!!!! ;)

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2008, 02:15:26 PM »
There are some planes (190's, 110's) where it's the best chance they have.  Only an idiot would try to HO a 110.

For turn fighters, it seems pretty dumb to HO when if you want to KILL them without giving them a chance of them killing you, a HO is the worst choice of moves.

Example: I'm in a Jug and get a 1 v 1 with another Jug.  The guy attempts to HO me 9 successive times.  I kill him and he salutes me.  No salute for the HOtard.

I don't think it's so much the angst about the HO is that it seems on Aces High the last couple of years...it's "The HO is all they know".  It takes no skills whatsoever to HO, no ACM, no tactics...just HO.  I see 95% of the folks I come up against try it as their move of choice.

Those who say that the HO is a valid tactic ARE correct, it's just that R/L fighter tactics (including Manfred von Richthofen) avoided the HO at all costs after it nearly got him killed.  Others weren't so lucky.

Our screen goes red and we end up in the tower ready to fly again.

Others have said it ad nauseum before--the HO is easy to avoid.  You can even do a slight maneuver that gets YOU out of the line of fire while you get to HO THEM.  We practice it in squad training.

Live by the HO die by the HO.  The odds & probabilities on surviving a HO (if that's all you know) are 50-50.

Anyone who complains about being HO'ed because they got killed by it is a putz.

ROX

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »
The HO sucks. Yesterday I got HO'd by a Yak while in a IL2. The funny thing was it was just me and the Yak up and this guy couldn't figure out how to beat an IL2 while flying such a fine fighter without HO'ing and ramming.

Then later I sort of HOd another spit. The thing is I'm old and dont see the screen so well. I really thought I was simply gaining on his 6 when I was actually merging and by instinct pulled the trigger when he was on top of me. I almost felt bad afterwards cause I prefer fights to play out.

One thing I dont expect is for someone to not take a deflection shot. Deflection shots are perfectly sound and the guy who gets in that position and takes it deserves the win. This "everythings an HO unless its a perfect 6 shot" thing is silly.

But every now and again, maybe once or twice a month, you meet a 1 on 1 with a guy who's tuned on you like you are to him. Instinctively you both pass on HOs and even deflections and let the thing play out to the perfect end........

Now THAT is Aces High at its best. Its very rare and meant to be savored. And a <S> is ALWAYS exchanged win or lose.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2008, 02:33:54 PM »
There are some planes (190's, 110's) where it's the best chance they have.  Only an idiot would try to HO a 110.

Looks like the game is full of them  :rofl

Not the best chance a 110 has thoguh
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2008, 03:13:51 PM »
The HO sucks. Yesterday I got HO'd by a Yak while in a IL2. The funny thing was it was just me and the Yak up and this guy couldn't figure out how to beat an IL2 while flying such a fine fighter without HO'ing and ramming.

Then later I sort of HOd another spit. The thing is I'm old and dont see the screen so well. I really thought I was simply gaining on his 6 when I was actually merging and by instinct pulled the trigger when he was on top of me. I almost felt bad afterwards cause I prefer fights to play out.

One thing I dont expect is for someone to not take a deflection shot. Deflection shots are perfectly sound and the guy who gets in that position and takes it deserves the win. This "everythings an HO unless its a perfect 6 shot" thing is silly.

But every now and again, maybe once or twice a month, you meet a 1 on 1 with a guy who's tuned on you like you are to him. Instinctively you both pass on HOs and even deflections and let the thing play out to the perfect end........

Now THAT is Aces High at its best. Its very rare and meant to be savored. And a <S> is ALWAYS exchanged win or lose.

LOL being "old" and with poor eyesight due to age, I can relate to this post many times I have mistaken a guy coming at me for going the "other" way :D
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2008, 03:42:59 PM »

Really?  You should have seen the Zeke I lit up from his six while mini-furballing in a 110 last night then.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2008, 06:34:23 PM »
Wow, 7 pages already on the HO, Wonder if this thread can break 10 by Friday? :)
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2008, 07:38:05 PM »
Wow, 7 pages already on the HO, Wonder if this thread can break 10 by Friday? :)

Friday?  By tomorrow AM  :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2008, 10:24:23 AM »
I don't care how many threads are started about HO's, the fact remains that a large percentage of the player base doesn't visit the forums.  So as the thread may all be in agreement that HO = bad, the random Joe to find in the MA is thinking "OMG I actually have a shot on a plane" and thus a HO has occurred.

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when an enemy flies by me in the MA and nobody is pulling the trigger.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2008, 11:18:23 AM »
I don't care how many threads are started about HO's, the fact remains that a large percentage of the player base doesn't visit the forums.  So as the thread may all be in agreement that HO = bad, the random Joe to find in the MA is thinking "OMG I actually have a shot on a plane" and thus a HO has occurred.

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when an enemy flies by me in the MA and nobody is pulling the trigger.

yaknow? that's a really good point. seriously it is.

the thing i've noticed lately if/when i do take damage from a ho, it's really not anymore. i usually try to dodge em..unless i'm 99% sure they're gonna fire. i tend to try n go under em, with a little rudder kicked in. they still land hits on me, and if/when i say anything sarcastic like " hotard", they come bck with the "it wasn't a ho" argument....and since in my attempt to dodge it, i took awsay my own guns solution, i guess they're right.

hotards :rolleyes: :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »

why HO some 1 when it takes you 15 minutes to fly to the enemy base. it just seems stupid to me to waist a sortie like that. you will almost die every time commiting to a HO on HO merge. goin out to the side of them and immuling over them. while they are flyin strait tryin to HO you. you are already on top of them waiting to get a real kill.

just some words of advise  :)

So true...

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer