Author Topic: Marine engineering  (Read 314 times)

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Re: Marine engineering
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 10:19:02 PM »
the guy that said 'If it looks right, it is right'... and proved it.

[/url]

shame it doesn't apply to english.

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 10:23:34 PM »
Bah... have known a number of 'marine engineers' over the years.. everything they designed looked and sailed like a tennis shoe. ;) Lotta fun tho.. not a bad way to earn a living.

If your serious, eyeball this man's career... the guy that said 'If it looks right, it is right'... and proved it.

Dude, instead look at John Alden's life, that guy was more of a genius than herrshoff, and I would know, im named after a racing yacht he designed.
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 10:26:50 PM »
no, just thinkin of diffrent things i can do, im going 2 jr college in 6 months, im startin 2 think wat i want 2 major in

-BigBOBCH

If you continue to insist on intentionally butchering the language, you will find it difficult to get into a respectable school or find anyone willing to take you seriously enough to attempt to teach you anything or provide assistance.

On the other hand, as we tell our pilot training students who aren't serious about their training, Burger King is hiring...

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 10:43:13 PM »
Dude, instead look at John Alden's life, that guy was more of a genius than herrshoff, and I would know, im named after a racing yacht he designed.

LOL.. Alden designed motor sailors and schooners. A brit, brit trained copying brit designs and brit methodology. Cap'n Nat was a freakin genius.. designed and drew his stunning creations with a piece of coal on the boatshed floor..... he was a master shipwright and craftsman... and he designed and built more Americas Cup winners than any other designer in history.

Alden ain't even in the same league.

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 10:53:11 PM »
I am a professional sailor, i have lots of expeirince, ive been out on herreshofs and ive been out on aldens, and frankly, the aldens sail sooooo much better, smoother, handle better, and are just great boats over all, they are really solid in the water, alden was a genius, so was herreshof, but franlkly i like aldens better.

But overall, i would just like to go sailing, and on anything, but if i was on a herreshof or a alden i would be honnored

ps you are right, alden mostly did schooners, but he was the master of schooners
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 11:01:43 PM »
Not intending to be disrespectful, but I've got more hours on deck under sail for shiny gold cups than you've been alive...   I can appreciate your preferences, which has nothing to do with the immutable facts: the body of work and the accomplishments of the two are simply not comparable.

<S!>
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 11:13:17 PM »
Woo hoo! Sailor pursefight!  :rock

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 11:15:40 PM »
Savage! you brute! Oh! ..beat me wif yer spinnaker pole!

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 11:19:51 PM »
Not intending to be disrespectful, but I've got more hours on deck under sail for shiny gold cups than you've been alive...   I can appreciate your preferences, which has nothing to do with the immutable facts: the body of work and the accomplishments of the two are simply not comparable.

<S!>

Ah, im more of a tallship sailor, have speant a grand total of 16 months living onboard as crew on various tallships or old sailing vessels. Not to mention the 5 summers of teaching small boat sailing to the youth of southern california. And that doesnt include all my recrational sailing and racing. And your right they are not comparible, herreshof designed sloops, alden schooners, both was a master of the trade, i would love to sail on a vessel designed by either.

<S!>

Callsign---Curlew