Author Topic: David Letterman speaks the truth..  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Re: David Letterman speaks the truth..
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2008, 11:02:07 AM »
It's very simple.  Whatever amazing plan either senator has is probably well-known to leading members on those committees.  Obama can talk to all the former SEC chairmen and treasury secretaries he wants to formulate his plan, but in all likelihood members of Congress have already done this.

You don't need to be in Washington to offer input or discuss a plan to resolve the issue unless they are serving in their official capacity as senators.  Their presence there will likely polarize parties.  I mean, think about it... if Obama suggests something brilliant but controversial, will Republican lawmakers be more or less inclined to support it?  How about if McCain offers the same?  Will Democrats be more or less inclined to support it?

We can make calls for bipartisanship all we want, but at the end of the day, this is a presidential election season.  Everything is political, and I hope that truly worthy ideas aren't lost in the mix because of it.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2008, 11:03:08 AM »
Do McCain, Biden, or Obama sit on any of the relevant committees or subcommittees at this point?  I ask that sincerely, because if they do not, they really have no official input into the process at this point in time as Senators.  If they do, then they should probably seek to provide that input now, when it counts.  If not, I can't imagine what they could do to help right now, and their presence could possibly hurt and polarize the process either way.

-- Todd/Leviathn

good point -- i seriously don't know - but i do believe their input to the sitting members of the committees is influential, and that there will be no senator or Congressman agreeing to anything if both of them don't at least say they support it... they worry about finger pointing later.. not what the actual outcome is...it is politics
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Twister2

• Copper Member
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2008, 11:24:20 AM »
Once again you state. "Had to shut down the campaign". As if it is fact as opposed to choosing to suspend his campaign for a short while. Obama was invited to do the same and he refused. So McCain sticks to his guns. To me it speaks of his character to possibly let Obama gain some headway while McCain deals with the job he has right now.

THE INSTIGATORS
Death to smileys.
Brad(twister2)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »
"strafing"

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2008, 11:55:23 AM »
Now McCain camp is trying to postpone the VP debates as well.

Nov. 5 or later would be good.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2008, 12:02:51 PM »
Someone actually listens to a comedian's opinion on politics?

OMG, LOL!  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2008, 12:14:52 PM »

It's common in here Rip, have you not seen all the quotes of Rush and O'Reilly?  :lol

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2008, 12:33:43 PM »
It's common in here Rip, have you not seen all the quotes of Rush and O'Reilly?  :lol

shamus
I agree with you on that one!  :aok Rush and O'Reilly were never penciled in as comedians, but they certainly are!

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2008, 12:37:49 PM »

Some one actully listens to Hollywoods opinion of politics??? :rofl

Oh crap the liberals do...sorry
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2008, 12:48:40 PM »
Not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but Dave made a good point, why not make the Friday debate about the economy and what each plans to do about it.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »

Some one actully listens to Hollywoods opinion of politics??? :rofl

Oh crap the liberals do...sorry

http://www.france24.com/en/20080905-jon-voight-john-mccain-midnight-cowboy-republican-convention

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/news/celebrity/la-et-cause4-2008sep04,0,5807624.story

Don't worry it is a common problem in America... right wingers are only human too

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
Isn't Biden a sitting US Senator as well? He better have have his butt parked in his seat doing his job right along side McCain and Obama. This is important stuff going on (700 BILLION worth of taxpayers money looking to be handed out) and they OWE it to the people that put them there to do their damn jobs, Presidential Campaign be damned.

Nothing stops the Democratic process.  Nothing.

When the Iran Hostage mess was going on, a sitting U.S. president did not stop the debates from happening.  When the U.S.S. Cole lay with her side gashed, thos debates still went on.  But, I guess money is more important to you guys than those lives.... so lets just suspend the campaigns now.

You're idiots if you think the debate should be cancelled.  It is a tenant of democracy.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »
nah, I was talking about why McCain would "shut down" his campaign, it doesn't seem he would have to.  Just wondering what the angle is?

Also, when one suspends his campaign...

He doesn't put out talking points the day of it, telling his people how to spin it.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2008, 01:32:19 PM »
Nothing stops the Democratic process.  Nothing.

When the Iran Hostage mess was going on, a sitting U.S. president did not stop the debates from happening.  When the U.S.S. Cole lay with her side gashed, thos debates still went on.  But, I guess money is more important to you guys than those lives.... so lets just suspend the campaigns now.

You're idiots if you think the debate should be cancelled.  It is a tenant of democracy.

ding ding and we have a winner.
"strafing"

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »
ding ding and we have a winner.

Again another  Liberal point of view...here we are in the probably the biggest financal crisis
that could ruin this country and the libs think we should have a debate... stupidity at it finest.

Do you liberals understand that we as a country could go under at any time?? do you
understand what in the he@@ is at stake here??...geez you guys are f en dumb arses.

I got an Idea, lets have all the goverment take a week off and  have a dancing with the goverment contest!!
Instead of figuring out a way to save the country lets Dance!!!!

See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!