Author Topic: Found some very very, VERY cool information on my grandpa.  (Read 1162 times)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Found some very very, VERY cool information on my grandpa.
« on: September 26, 2008, 06:27:28 PM »
I never actually knew my Grandpa, as he died before I was born. But I know he was in WW2 from start to finish. Starting at North Africa, going to Anzio, then Southern France, and I think Germany.

Well, if you read up on your facts about Anzio, you probably know about where the Germans attacked and how (which I'm not too sure of myself)

But here's some things I do know of, (and one of these you'll find interesting)

My grandpa:

Rollie 'Buddy' Snell- Company G, 180th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Battalion.

My grandpa was on the front lines when the Germans attacked him. (apparently, from what I know, they held the road that I think like 3 German Divisions went down through) One of his good friends had actually gotten the Medal of Honor who went by the name of Jack Treadwell.

But that isn't the completely cool things about it. His company (refer to the top) Company G of the 180th Infantry Regiment had gotten a Presidential Citation. (which is a huge deal, especailly to a company, of only about 250-300 men when usually, a division can bragg on it if they are lucky enough to get one). My grandpa got 1 of his 2 silver stars in Anzio.

I cant seem to find too much information on him, anyone know where to look? :salute
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Re: Found some very very, VERY cool information on my grandpa.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 06:28:07 PM »
well if you would hold still long enough...

good place to start

http://www.archives.gov/research/arc/topics/ww2.html

(btw, my last name is Treadwell, so I'm interested in looking up Jack and see how or if he could be related to our family.) My grandfather was in Europe, tank mechanic in the 3rd Army.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 06:30:16 PM by Airscrew »

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »
Cool 1plus, always interesting to find out stuff on family from that era...

My Moms Dad, Clarence Denver Lamp, Flew the entire war, and I mean the whole friggin thing.

Denver flew B24's, B25s, and A26s... The earlier two he flew over Sicily/Italy, and I even think North Africa - But not too sure.

When Germany was defeated, he was shipped to the South Pacific, and stayed there until the 2 Big ones were dropped. He flew the A26 there, and did some crazy night missions into Japan, as my dad has a still shot from his A26's gun cam laying around the Hanger...

He later ended up Dying when I was around 5, from a rare Lung cancer... My family thinks it's from the nukes dropped on Japan, but the Doctors wouldn't say conclusively... I believe he was on Okinawa when they hit.

:salute to all the Veterans of every military actions.
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:43:59 PM »
My grandpa also served in the war, although he never saw combat, he ran an orphanage for the children who's parents died and such. He never saw action, but his brother did, flying f4u's in the pacific. He was shot down though, and died, but I still love to hear the stories about my old grandpas brother sailing through the skies on bent wings. My grandpa is currently in the hospital, It seems his heart has a bad valve, and is currently on oxygen. He's eighty two years old, and I hope that whatever happens will always be remembered by the people who love him.

:salute to all who served our country

80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Mr Blue

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:17:08 PM »
A BIG  :salute to all of you guys grandpas. really..
its cool to read stories like this. Ive from Brazil so i dont have a cool grandpa story, beside the fact that my grandpa was the gollie for the team Pele played for..
but a BIG  :salute to all of your grandpas
and crazierthanu  hope your grandpa gets better :pray
Just for fun

Offline Private Burns

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:21:09 PM »
my uncles dad landed on d-day 6th wave. he was supposed to jump in but broke his finger in training so he was assigned to beach landing. My neighbor was also a seabee and he was at d-day and his ship was sunk. Thts my familys/neighbors war storys.

Offline wojo71

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »
   Here is my grandpa's story,  my gramps was captain in the 364th bomber squadren 305th bomb  Group (H) His group commander was Curtis Lemay . He flew 29 missions over Europe from 1943 to 1944. the last 15 missions he flew as wing lead. He came home with the DFC and the Air medal with 3 oak leaf clusters.  He said two of his toughest missions were Brunswick and Oberofaffenhofen. On the Brunswick raid "over 67 Forts were lost" he had 4 crewman wounded on different missions and it used to be a running joke that the bombardier always got hurt. He told that on one raid the german fighters up in swarms stight though the flight ,firing so hard that it looked as the whole wing was on fire. After firing this burst they flipped on there backs and dove out of range.  He went on to say it was an awful sensation to sit and watch and do nothing but fly your plane and stay in formation.

R.I.P. Lt Col Hamel Goodin    1915-1982    <S>

LTARwojo        
Proud father of a U.S. Marine....Proud grandson of Lt Col Hamel Goodin (ret)   B-17 pilot. 305th BG /364th SQD

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »
My Grandpa was at anzio too..
He was in command of a flack Battery
he never talked about it, but i found a poem he wrote called "anzio bloody anzio"
I think he lost a few good mates there.
<<S>> To the heros of old
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 08:20:21 AM »
A BIG  :salute to all of you guys grandpas. really..
its cool to read stories like this. Ive from Brazil so i dont have a cool grandpa story, beside the fact that my grandpa was the gollie for the team Pele played for..
but a BIG  :salute to all of your grandpas
and crazierthanu  hope your grandpa gets better :pray

I hope so too.....................
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Whitey33

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 09:06:44 AM »
My grandpa was fighting against russians. He was mg section commander. He awarded couple medals from bravery (i have those nowadays) and was wounded several times. If i remember correctly, other bravery medal was earned by killing enemies with an axe and saving his section when russians make surprise attack to their bunker. He was also in secret patrols behind enemy lines. Too bad he died when i was 8 yrs old, but i have carried his memory in my heart whole my life.

In Finland almost everybodys grandpa has been in war because here is compulsory service for over 80% of males.

Medals or not, i think every man who has been in combat is a hero.
www.ilmavoimat.fi/index_en.php  Finnish Air Force

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 09:13:24 AM »
i been trying to find info on my mom's dad, he was in WWII, she said he used to talk about germany and normandy. she is unsure of what he did in the service however my aunt has all his records and shes pulled away from the family due to her drug problems and no one talks to her. i have contacted the american legion and they was unable to give me much info on him. i'm still looking though. hopefully i will find something on him :(
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 09:49:39 AM »
My Grandfather was a machine gunner for the British in WW1.He spent 5 years in the trenches and survived the war with only a dented helmet from a bullet.My father was training as a Beaufighter pilot when then war ended. :salute
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »
My Grandpa was at anzio too..
He was in command of a flack Battery
he never talked about it, but i found a poem he wrote called "anzio bloody anzio"
I think he lost a few good mates there.
<<S>> To the heros of old

Well, I've been looking up on it more, and from what I know, I think he was one of like 17 that were unhurt. And there were like 300 guys. I'm still not too sure though.

I've been trying to dig up his old letters, but I'm not too sure about what I could find.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline nipper

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 01:43:52 PM »
My dad was too young for WW2 and my Grandfather to old but my Great Uncle (Grandfathers elder brother) was an engineer in WW1. Dug tunnels under the German lines at Ypres and others. Broke his leg In a cave in, recovered and was transfered spending the rest of the war mounted, towing guns.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 01:47:21 PM »
My grandfather (Peter Mack) flew in the airforce ( ill say the squad later cause i cant think of it now. But he flew over 100 b26 and b25 missions during ww2 and the korean war. He was a gunner and shot down a 190 and 109. He was also on a mission to bomb aldolf hitler. The plane was called "package for Adolf" lol. He past away last month but he was a true hero! and so are all your granfathers, uncles, and brothers <<<<S>>> :salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion