Author Topic: HOUSE REPUBLICANS PUT UP HISTORIC FIGHT!  (Read 2424 times)

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Re: HOUSE REPUBLICANS PUT UP HISTORIC FIGHT!
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »
Well, I'm sure you'll note that Pelosi couldn't resist getting one last shot in at Evil Boosh before the vote. Pissed off enough Republicans that it failed, at least that's what the talking heads are saying right now. WTG Pelosi eh?

I wasn't for it as written. Because this version failed doesn't mean there will be no bailout. What it means is that there's going to be a better version that protects the taxpayer to a larger degree and allows Richie Rich and his pals to take a double dose of the pain themselves. God forbid they have to sell the yatch! How will they get out to their private islands in the Med?

Now that the attempt to railroad this through on the backs of the Average Joe has failed, perhaps they'll settle down and write a fair bailout bill that doesn't punish the taxpayer for Richie Rich's screwup.

2/3rds of the rep's and 40% of the dems voted no. Thats a solid chunk of votes against this thing. Looks like they need to come up with a much better plan and I dont see that being done over night.They rushed it to get out and drum up election votes to stay in office.They dont pass this soon,they wont have an office to run for :)
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »
Do you understand that no one can borrow money right now? It's not just bad banks.. it's everyone.

I recently secured several million to grow one of my family business's services.

OH NOES THE SKY IZ FALLINGZ&^%!@#   :huh  :lol

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
As a positive note, the bond market is up!  Looks like people see the need to SAVE now lol
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »
I'd rather the bad fail, we go into a depression, and the voters crucify all the idiots in congress and put in people that are fiscally responsible.  Sure would be a lot easier than giving out a trillion dollars to protect people with the yachts.

As for the people... oh well, if you are in debt and paying more than you can afford on a home, you will be in a world of crap.  But, you can blame no one but yourself for being a stupid imbecile and putting yourself into that situation.

If you would rather see the banks of this country fail vs let this deal go through, it just shows how clueless you really are. No offense but if you really believe that, you really have no clue what it means.

A guy on TV said something just a min ago the describes this who thing. When you have a burning house, you don't stand around wondering who or what set it on fire. You put the fire out and ask questions later.
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »
If the banks fail won't the govt (and by extension YOU guys) be forced to pink up for the $100,000 insurance provided by the federal govt on deposits?  

That's what these O clubers don't seem to understand. They are paying for it one way or another, they just want to blame someone rather than fix the problem.
"strafing"

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 02:54:16 PM »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »
I recently secured several million to grow one of my family business's services.

Try to do the same today..
"strafing"

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2008, 02:57:43 PM »
If you would rather see the banks of this country fail vs let this deal go through, it just shows how clueless you really are. No offense but if you really believe that, you really have no clue what it means.

A guy on TV said something just a min ago the describes this who thing. When you have a burning house, you don't stand around wondering who or what set it on fire. You put the fire out and ask questions later.

You're a hypocrite.  You blamed the Bush administration for this from day one.

If the economy collapses, so be it.  It will start again.  

I can get by if it does.  I will eat, still be able to pay my mortgage, and still heat my home.  Times will be tight, but I will get by.

You limp wristed liberals that seem to think that my money needs to be spent without forethought can stick it where the sun does not shine.  Screw you fools for failing to watch your spending habits and buying things you could not afford.  This goes for government spending as well.  

I am (and my fellow tax payers) are not a bank.  We do not bail out rich investors that made mistakes.  On the contrary, we could LOAN the money, but not give it.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »
Do you understand that no one can borrow money right now? It's not just bad banks.. it's everyone.

I may possibly have as much to lose as anyone here from tight credit. I NEED to refinance my home and make another move or two with regards to my business. However, I am NOT willing to hand the government a check for 700 BILLION DOLLARS with no strings attached. And because of this, I may suffer several setbacks that I'd LOVE to avoid, because it may be difficult, if not impossible, to refinance my home, and get some breathing room and capital for my business needs.

First off, I'd be willing to bet a severe downturn in the economy can be avoided for FAR less, probably about 10% of what they're asking for.

Second, they don't NEED a bail out, they may need low interest loans. Hell, I have financial issues as well, but I have no right to expect anyone to GIVE me money to take care of those issues.

Third, like anything else, the solution is NOT to JUST throw money at the problem. Before we even LOAN them a DIME, before we guarantee another SINGLE loan or mortgage, we need to fix the ROOT PROBLEM.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »
Crockett, no joke... this panic press is just trying to hammer this thing through.  We need some other things in place to stimulate the economy before we the printing press at the fed...  If we agree to the debt, then the dollar value goes deeper into the toilet and oil prices along with everything else, soars.

Thank God enough people in both parties said "Hey, not so fast there, Buck Rogers!"
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2008, 03:01:17 PM »
This bill deserves to DIE!!!!!

When I bought my house I was pre approved for up to $270,000 with no monny down. I bought a house for $98,000 because that's what I KNEW I could afford in the long run. My mortgage company was PISSED because I didn't use half of what they wanted to loan me and they tried for 3 weeks before I closed to pressure me to look for a bigger more expensive home.

If I had done so, I would be out of a house, in a huge financial mess because I wouldn't have been able to afford a more expensive home on a traditional 30 year note like I did the one I bought, and I would be smack in the middle of this mess.

The folks that are screaming this bail out is needed are the ones who have been living beyond their means and are now paying for it. Let them pay for it since it was the homeowners, the banks, and the government that allowed themsleves to get over extended in the first damn place.

LEARN a freaking lesson, and deal with it, because I don't want to keep bailing out people that can't think 10 minutes into the future when they make a major decision.

Anyone who gave those loans, took those loans, or had anything to do with those loans deserves to LOOSE everything, and then people like me who have demonstrated that we can afford what we buy, will come along eventually when you drop the price to where WE want it and buy those homes for ourselves and pay the bill every month and if your really lucky we mght let you rent, IF you can pass the credit check.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2008, 03:02:25 PM »

See how this works...the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

All is good..look at your investments...car bizz selling lots of cars
houses being sold like wildfire. Bankruptcies at an all time high. forclosers
all time high..stock Market at worst loss in its history.
 Business closing left and right. Record breaking credit card debt.

ALL IS GOOD ALL IS GOOD.... :rolleyes:
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »
That's what these O clubers don't seem to understand. They are paying for it one way or another, they just want to blame someone rather than fix the problem.

We're gonna pay for it either way alright....I want us to get paid back!

Take a little time, set-up an RTC, and do it right.  GIVING money away isn't fixing the problem!

What's wrong with loaning these guys the money, or can't they qualify for a loan!

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2008, 03:05:32 PM »
You're a hypocrite.  You blamed the Bush administration for this from day one.

If the economy collapses, so be it.  It will start again.  

I can get by if it does.  I will eat, still be able to pay my mortgage, and still heat my home.  Times will be tight, but I will get by.

You limp wristed liberals that seem to think that my money needs to be spent without forethought can stick it where the sun does not shine.  Screw you fools for failing to watch your spending habits and buying things you could not afford.  This goes for government spending as well.  

I am (and my fellow tax payers) are not a bank.  We do not bail out rich investors that made mistakes.  On the contrary, we could LOAN the money, but not give it.

With all due respect, if this gets as bad as many think, YOU won't be paying your mortgage.  Your payroll will not go through.... credit/loans is where that comes from.  Your personal credit cards... they're loans remember?...won't work.  Try to buy a car.....nope.... house... nope....  money for school for your kids....nope.

If you are carrying ANY debt right now... you must call yourself PART of the problem.  Not just Wall Street investors caused this problem.

I don't think many of you understand the gravity of the situation.

Also, was interested to note.... of those that voted against it..... around 98% are up for re-election.  (on both sides)  

It begins.  Dow's down 725 right now.  Friends in the financial sector have told me they wouldn't be surprised if we lost 1,200 points.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:08:43 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce