Author Topic: New style task group  (Read 745 times)

Offline SKYGUNS

• Nickel Member
New style task group
« on: September 30, 2008, 12:21:43 AM »
add a new extra TG to each port but instead of a CV replace it with a heavy battle ship,
14-16 inch guns and although has lack of aircraft (unless you want catapulted scout aircraft) it could prove useful for bombardments or protecting a nearby CV or whatever you have in mind...

its basically a task group at selected ports but instead of a carrier its a heavy battle ship or cruiser.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:26:06 AM by SKYGUNS »

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
Re: New style task group
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »
There would have to be an efficient way to kill it. WW2-era fast battleships carried huge amounts of AA... four 5in turrets on a carrier, imagine a ship like an Iowa class with ten 5" turrets, nineteen quad 40mm, and 28 20mm singles. This is based on the 1944 USS Iowa configuration. Even if half of those were AI guns, it would be impossible to get close enough to kill the ship except for high-alt bombers.

16/50cal. guns have an effective range in excess of 30 miles, which I believe is completely outside the dar circle. Targeting and sighting in the game would have to be improved dramatically to account for firing from those types of ranges.

Shore batteries would have to be improved to counter the BB. It takes several 8" gun hits from a cruiser to bring one down, probably only a couple from 16" guns. But that makes it even easier for a shore battery to kill a CV.

I dunno...I think it'd be neat, but I don't think it'd balance the existing naval units very well.

Personally, I think the DDs should be manned and allowed to move in close to shore to counter the shore batteries, the same way they did in the Pacific during the island-hopping campaigns.

J
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »
There would have to be an efficient way to kill it. WW2-era fast battleships carried huge amounts of AA... four 5in turrets on a carrier, imagine a ship like an Iowa class with ten 5" turrets, nineteen quad 40mm, and 28 20mm singles. This is based on the 1944 USS Iowa configuration. Even if half of those were AI guns, it would be impossible to get close enough to kill the ship except for high-alt bombers...
Maybe that would counter the Lanc-Stukas?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:54:15 PM »
There would have to be an efficient way to kill it. WW2-era fast battleships carried huge amounts of AA... four 5in turrets on a carrier, imagine a ship like an Iowa class with ten 5" turrets, nineteen quad 40mm, and 28 20mm singles. This is based on the 1944 USS Iowa configuration. Even if half of those were AI guns, it would be impossible to get close enough to kill the ship except for high-alt bombers.

J

Mission up.  Have it be either a HIGH flight of bombers or a swarm of hvy fighters.  This bit of having just 2-3 hvy fighters take out a CV, cruiser, or battleship is quite far from "realisitc".  It should take a whole swarm to planes and that should be purely to squeak through the ack and drop some ords. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:21:30 PM »
When you look back at the air attacks on Yamato and Musashi, using literally hundreds of aircraft, it makes sense...but...can any one side muster enough aircraft to pull off something like that in the game, especially if they're dealing with fighters at the same time? We have to balance gameplay with historical relevance (notice I didn't say accuracy).

When you consider the number of dive bombers (Hornet, Enterprise, and Yorktown, VB-3,6, and 8) that attacked the Japanese fleet at Midway, you're only looking at 36 aircraft to sink three of the four carriers. Realistically, a couple of heavy fighters could wreak havoc on a CV, although I think CV losses are just as much a result of poor handling by the players as they are effective attacks by aircraft. CVs also have no form of damage control or repair, so once a CV is soft that's it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but there's other factors to consider when adding a unit with that much firepower to the game.

J
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:52:46 PM »
Even if half of those were AI guns, it would be impossible to get close enough to kill the ship except for high-alt bombers.
I don't have a problem with that.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 07:42:49 AM »
I'd like the existing carrier groups to be more of a challenge to sink. Too easy unless it has a defense cap over it.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 08:11:58 AM »
I would like the cruiser to be controlled independent of the Carrier within a set range.  make a mini assault group.   If it gets taken out No LVTS  after 15 minutes it respawns back with the CV.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:52:55 AM »
Im getting tired of these lifeless mush heads dropping all these CVs with their Lancs at 2k. I say bring on the Battlewagons.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »
Gotta admit...a long-range battleship duel would be cool...

J
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 11:14:51 AM »
The only reason you see a handful of aircraft take out carriers in this game is because none of them mind dying in the process.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 12:05:58 PM »
I think that can be attibuted to just about everything (sadly), Ho-ing, dive-bombing with Lancs, rushing headlong into a horde without waiting for support...

I wish there was some way to inflict a death penalty of sorts, to make survival more important. Doubt it'll never happen, but it would probably add some realism to the game in terms of suicide players.

J
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »
I think that can be attibuted to just about everything (sadly), Ho-ing, dive-bombing with Lancs, rushing headlong into a horde without waiting for support...

I wish there was some way to inflict a death penalty of sorts, to make survival more important. Doubt it'll never happen, but it would probably add some realism to the game in terms of suicide players.

J

Just write the game code to not allow dropping ords, from heavy bombers, unless they are flying flat and horizontal. That and bringing on Fast Iowas. Oh maybe not all the CV groups but maybe if 1/2 of a teams CVs had them it would add a new diminsion to the game and maybe allow these CVs to last around longer. As it is you have airheads who specialize in bomb and bail Lanc-stukas. Its just gotten altogether silly.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 02:10:47 PM »

Would this fix the problem?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.