Author Topic: Tips for GV's  (Read 1431 times)

Offline apcampbell

• Copper Member
      • http://
Tips for GV's
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:33:45 PM »
Starting to get into the GV side of the game, however, I'm afraid all I'm doing is padding someone else's scores. So, what are some good tactics to use, and what are some tips on using the gunsight. (And more importantly how to properly use the range marks)
"Navy061"
http://www.slybirds.com
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. -Douglas Adams

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
Re: Tips for GV's
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:03:52 PM »
Personally, alot of GVing revolves around patience. Find a good shooting position and stick with it, higher ground is better, high ground with trees or buildings is even better. The ultimate is finding great cover from high ground that gives you at least a 90-degree field of fire from the enemy spawn point.

Work on leading and ranging moving targets. Find someone who'll act as a running target for you in the TA.

In the MA, you'll get the majority of your kills while you're stationary and your opponent is moving.

As for the range marks, it just takes getting used to. I always zoom in to max level once I have a visual on the target. I typically spend most of my time in the MG or outside turret mode (position 3), zoomed in, to give me a wider field of vision. Once I have a target, I make a mental note of the target position versus my main gun position then target from there.

Fire with the transmission in neutral, it helps reduce the gun-laying (targeting) time.

It'll also help to have your nose facing the target. It makes you a smaller target, the armor on the front of the tank is thicker.

I'm no expert, but I consider myself to be a slightly above average GVer. Everything I've mentioned was told to me by others here an in-game.

J
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:51:06 PM »

i've become a full time GV this stint in AH. GVing is another game with-in the game. and i'm still developing tactics

i guess it depends what do you want to do in GVs. mindless 'furballing' on tank islands, base captures, defending bases...
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 06:20:08 AM »
Starting to get into the GV side of the game, however, I'm afraid all I'm doing is padding someone else's scores. So, what are some good tactics to use, and what are some tips on using the gunsight. (And more importantly how to properly use the range marks)

First....the "Z" key is your friend!!!   Lots of new GV'ers don't even realize you can zoom in the gunsight.  Once "zoomed" you can use the "up arrow" key to get a little extra zoom.

Two...distance is your friend!   Going nose to nose with any tank in this game will probably get you killed very quickly.   Of course there is all sorts of fun to be had doing kamakazi runs into enemy spawn points.   Get to the practice areana and drive WAY off base then shoot at objects on the base...get good at shooting at 2500+ yards.   Then work on going beyond the sight range....use your mouse as a marker down in the nether regions of your scope where the hashes don't dare go.   There is a trick with the scope that will increase your sight range....but first get used to the actual sight itself.   Personally I like shooting at targets 5000K off just for fun ;-)     Get up on that mountain and let the AP rain down.

Three...learn thy tank.   Tiggers are not what they used to be in this game.  Tiggers are practically useless since the M4's 17 pound gun was introduced.  Now it seems the T34-85 is seeing a lot of favor because it can withstand a lot of M4 fire.  (and the rate of fire has improved).  The Tigger is a good "stand off" weapon.   Point if forward and shoot long range...but if you are taking hits...get it the heck outta there.   The T34 is 10mph faster than the M4, Panzy or Tigger...it also has sloped armour that makes it harder to kill.  It's gun lacks punch though....get close...shoot  and move when in the T34.    The M8 is a fun little buggy....capable of taking out panzys (which are now the cannon fodder of the game), knocking out the turret on Osti's and Wirbles at stand off range (killing them has gotten tougher...an average of 5 rounds in the side armour to kill).    M4's can be killed with M8...focus on the side and rear armour.   M8 vs Tigger or T34+ ...forget it!!  RUN if you are in an M8 go look for softer targets....speed is the M8's best defense....but it cant climb at all.

Fourth...Sound...shut that @#!!@#$@^&@#$!@#$% Engine OFF!   I LOL whenever I drive up to an enemy tank that is shelling our base...with his engine running.   He can't hear me drive up behind him!   Sometimes I just park behind them...and then tell them on Chan 200 to look behind them ;-)       Then when their turret is almost turned around.....kill them. ;-P     Engine runs while moving.....off at all other times.   You can "hear em" long before you ever "see em".

Happy Gv'ing

Softail   (613Psyco)

Offline BarryBD

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 07:16:04 AM »
Nice and good tips :aok

But where do you hit an enemy GV best?  I mean tracks?  Turret?  chassis?

Last night I was pounding an wirble with a T34  (normal one) hit him 6 or 7 times... no kill, not even damage inflicted...

I was using AP.

BTW I guess that HE is for blowing up buildings, won't do much damage to a GV, AP for GV killing, and HVAP is worth nothing (as someone told me in game)... Correct?

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 07:27:45 AM »
Stick with tankers who are better than you.  If you do it for a bit, tactics will improve.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 08:42:23 AM »
BTW I guess that HE is for blowing up buildings, won't do much damage to a GV, AP for GV killing, and HVAP is worth nothing (as someone told me in game)... Correct?

The way I hear it, HE can track a tank and even blow it up if hit enough times.  AP for chassis shots to kill tank. HVAP for turret shots to take out the tank's turret.  Your results may vary with what you're in, what you're shooting at and how far away you are from your target.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 12:45:18 PM »
Historically, the 85mm BR-365P Hyper-Velocity round was lethal...technically it could penetrate 138mm of armor at 500m at 60 degrees.

One of the most memorable T-34/85 encounters happened in early August of 1944, when a single T-34/85 killed three King Tigers using HVAP ammo. Two were catastrophic losses, the third was recovered and is the KT on display at the Kublinka Armor Museum in Russia. The popular myth was that the son the King Tiger's designer, Ferdinand Porsche (yup, that Porsche), was killed in the battle.

J
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »
TIPS:
When your not moving, turn your engine off so that way you can hear the direction and how close an enemy gv is from you also, they cant hear you ( I always kep mine off when not moving or when trying to be stealthy.)

Tank Position: I always try to have the front of my tank facing the enemy tank to help improve chances of surviving a hit. I also try to keep my turret facing strait so I always know where it is. (NOTE: some times it is quicker to turn the whole tank using rudder then swinging the turret all the way around, also a combo of swinging your turret and at the same time using rudder in the same direction while in your gunsight to turn around quickly works well. I do that alot in tigrs because of its slow turning turret and it works great.)

Where to hit em?: Hitting an enemy tank in the rear is usually the best spot, however at close range(800-) a good solid hit to the front almost always gets a kill or disables there turret. (tigrs are the exception as there is a rather good chance of them absorbing the hit.)

Ranging: practice practice practice. Also make full use of the z (zoom) key and [ and ] key as those allow you to zoom in further. (I played a whole year till I found out about [ ] keys lol.) I personally have my gunsight zoomed into the bottom of the red line under the "32". I zoom out to take longer shots and will occasionally zoom in closer then 32 to identify if it is a tank or a building I see off in the distance.

Always know which way your turret is facing.

Also I like to position myself up ontop of hills to have a higher vantage point and be able to have a view on the surroundings better.

If you are exchanging shots with another tank and you feel he will hit you on the next shot then, start up your engine if its not already on and after firing your round move a few feet in any direction and get off another shot as chances are his shot will miss.

I hope this helps and good luck. :rock (edit: I may of repeated some tips others said.)
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 12:09:21 AM »
[ and ] are your friends.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
One more thing to add here:

If your ranging someone way out there after using the "Z" and brackets move your head position down.  You can do this with the arrow keys.  This allows you to zoom in and still see the hash marks. 
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »
i should be getting back on the game here in a month or two look for me and i will be glad to gv with you and show you the ropes
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 06:34:22 AM »
Nice and good tips :aok

But where do you hit an enemy GV best?  I mean tracks?  Turret?  chassis?

Last night I was pounding an wirble with a T34  (normal one) hit him 6 or 7 times... no kill, not even damage inflicted...

I was using AP.

Ahhh...great question....if only there was some consistancy in the GV game!   I have hit M4 tanks point-blank in the front armour with AP....and watched as they stopped....turned thier barrel at me and blew me away (all the while I chant....he should be dead...he should be dead).   Richochets off the hood of an M3 from a Tigger.   And of course the few or players I have to hit 2 or 3 times just to knock out a turret.  Dunno why its only a few...killed the other 5 guys next to them just fine....ha ha ha.

So be prepared for surprises ;-)

Generally I always aim for the turret of tank when I am in a tank myself.    My rule, disable then kill.   Let that T85 roll off smokin....cause there is probably more game nearby that are shutdown lookin for you!   And a smokin turret can't kill you....well....most of the time.    Side and rear shots are usually one shot kills.   Front armour is tricky...if close...just plug em.  If more than 2K ...aim for turret.

Oh...one other tip....the mouse is your friend for long range.     Use the mouse as a pointer!  For long range....guess distance.   Put mouse on target....FIRE!    if the shot is off...you can use the mouse adjust left, right, up or down.  For starters....put the mouse where the shell hit....then move the barrel so the mouse is now on the target....FIRE 2.   Again....put mouse where round hit.....move barrel so mouse is on target....FIRE 3.

You will realize that there is some "fudging" that needs to be done to get on target with less rounds (in most cases you need to put the mouse further off the shot)...but you will learn this.   Using the mouse is KEY when killing at 5K+ distances....where a few PIXELS can be the difference between turret and a miss ;-)   That mouse has a very sharp pointy end ;-)

As I said before.....if you see me in the MA (knights side) send me a message....I would be more than happy to share some "Sniper Tactics" with ya!

Or anyone for that matter.    I love me a good standoff long range tank war ;-)   bushwackin and ambushing is fun too ;-).   

Softail....  aka 613PSYCO

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 09:56:08 AM »
Fire with the transmission in neutral, it helps reduce the gun-laying (targeting) time.

makes a big difference :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
One thing I've just started doing is playing with less engine sound. Under options-sounds you can control the level of each sound. Turn down your engine and track sounds so while your driving you can hardly hear them. This makes picking out other engine noise while on the move much easier.

Gamey, I know.
The journey is the destination.