Author Topic: Blu Ray - is it worth it?  (Read 556 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Re: Blu Ray - is it worth it?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 09:38:40 PM »
After the usual merry-go-round of research we chose a Sony PlayStation 3 as the best value Blu-Ray player for our Sony 1080i 42-inch TV. 

Everything looks better on the PS3 including older DVDs.  Vivid games on the PS3 are a welcome bonus although many are pricey (e.g., $60 for latest best sellers).  Very satisfied with the PS3 and Blu-Ray in general. 

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 03:41:44 AM »
After the usual merry-go-round of research we chose a Sony PlayStation 3 as the best value Blu-Ray player for our Sony 1080i 42-inch TV. 

Everything looks better on the PS3 including older DVDs.  Vivid games on the PS3 are a welcome bonus although many are pricey (e.g., $60 for latest best sellers).  Very satisfied with the PS3 and Blu-Ray in general. 

Seconded.

Samsung 46" LCD full HD 1080p with Blu Ray player = almost sex.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 07:21:14 AM »
Thirded

Sony Bravia 55" LCD HD 1080p with PS3...even the 720p games look awesom-o

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 10:09:53 PM »
Almost forgot to add that I've come to prefer the PS3 wireless controller over a standard remote controller for playing DVDs too.  Buttons are easier to find and manipulate intuitively and in the dark. 

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 12:34:01 AM »
The difference between an upconverted DVD and a HD signal is much greater than the difference between 720P and 1080P.  That being said if you have a good processor 480P can look pretty good.  Whether you will see much of a difference is going to be determined by the source material, whatever processor is doing the scaling to the native resolution of the monitor and the distance you're sitting from the screen.  At 10' you'll notice more of a difference on a 50" TV than a 32" set for example.

If I were to get a new TV these days I would probably just spring for a set with a native 1080P resolution, however if I had a 720p set (which I do) I wouldn't rule out getting a Blu-Ray player. 

Then of course there's the fun of HDMI and don't get me started on that. :)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 12:37:24 AM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 01:11:55 AM »

There ya go,AHII in "Blue Ray" with triple screen.  :aok
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing