Author Topic: My best buddy had a stroke  (Read 298 times)

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
My best buddy had a stroke
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:32:08 PM »
My best bud 'Bone" had a stroke last week. He's a shepherd cross and 13 years old. Thought we were going to lose him.

They had him on anti-inflamatory's for a few days, and they seem to have helped. He couldn't walk without falling down, and I spent alot of time helping him around the backyard when he needed to go. He's still a bit wobbly and reacts differently than he did before (turns the wrong way when you call his name, things like that). But he is feeling alot better.

The vet says he needs to gain some weight back in his rear end and gave us a digestive paste for him, which he hates, but what do you do?

I feel so bad for him, but you know....he looks at me and it seems like he is saying "hey boss, it's okay. I don't mind being a bit wobbly."

He's not in any pain, so I'm going to give him all the help he needs, he sure earned it over the last 13 years. I hope we get another year out of him. This one is gonna hurt :cry

RTR
The Damned

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: My best buddy had a stroke
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 09:09:41 PM »
I hope you have time together and it's good for the both of you. It's just darn hard to lose a pet you have loved for a long time.  :(
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »
Sorry to hear RTR, but it sounds like he has a best pal. Thats the toughest part about having a dog going through something- their instinct to play like everything is fine. Sometimes when my dog is sick and trying to hide it, I'll lay down on the floor and let him come lay against me to "take care of me."

Here's my best buddy - he's 6

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:08:46 PM by BTW »

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
      • Strike Manufacturing Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:35:03 PM »
Good luck with 'Bone' there RTR :salute

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
You can be one but NOT both...

Fully Fledged Practising Atheist Bishop

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 10:43:04 PM »
Some may say 'It's just an animal', but those someones are pure wrong.  Pets are great companions and company, and losing one is very tough.
Lost our dog 'Smokey' a couple years back.  She was 15-years old, a Collie/Sheepdog mix and was tough one to lose.  Had her since a pup.  I only wish i could say she went peacefully, too much pain was in involved.

Hopefully you get as much time with Bone as possible. :salute
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:53:46 PM »
Thanks guys.

We have had him since he was a pup. The kids grew up with him. He always looked after them (and us too). He has been a great companion and friend. It's hard to see him like this, but as long as he isn't in pain and happy I will take care of him.

It's true. They are not just pets. They are very important members of the family.

thanks,

RTR
The Damned

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 07:57:28 AM »
Hello RTR,

I’m sorry to hear about Bone‘s stroke and I wanted to wish both you and him all the best.

Our family’s dog called Mitzi had a stroke a few years ago, combined with old age she needed a helping hand here and there. Mitzi lived for another year until she had to be put to sleep because of mounting aliments.

As I'm typing I can’t help but be reminded of all the happy times we had together. :) She lived a life of luxury and was pampered every day.

Regards, Kazaa.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."