Author Topic: Scoring System  (Read 5699 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Scoring System
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2008, 03:29:47 AM »
"determination" (or "unemployment") is already rewarded by weighting the rank by 20%, so a player who flies twice as long with the same stats as another player will be rewarded by higher rank (which I think is what you're after). nothing broke, nothing to fix.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2008, 03:46:47 AM »
"determination" (or "unemployment") is already rewarded by weighting the rank by 20%, so a player who flies twice as long with the same stats as another player will be rewarded by higher rank (which I think is what you're after). nothing broke, nothing to fix.

20% isn't enough.  It allows for blatant exploitation of the ranking system.  <SIGHHHHHH> No one understands.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:54:36 AM by grizz441 »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2008, 04:11:16 AM »
well the 20% loading achieves what you want - reward for "determination" (or time in flight).

If the only change you're suggesting is to raise it to 50%, how does this prevent score manipulation?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2008, 04:21:33 AM »
well the 20% loading achieves what you want - reward for "determination" (or time in flight).

If the only change you're suggesting is to raise it to 50%, how does this prevent score manipulation?

please read at the very least my first post before chiming in, I thoroughly explained it.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2008, 04:36:58 AM »
read it before posting, read it again to make sure. the only change I see to rank scoring is increasing the loading of points. If I missed something, please enlighten me.

If not, my question still stands - how does just increasing the loading prevent score manipulation?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline WarTooth

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2008, 07:58:37 AM »
>> Then get rid of it all together.  Of course scoring doesn't mean anything to the community, everyone knows how flawed it is.

If it cannot accurately match flying skills and be nearly impossible to manipulate...gut it baby.  Gut all scoring NOW!  This will force pilots to fly against...pilots (and not score perception techniques).

Get rid of scoring all together!  :aok

WT

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2008, 08:03:21 AM »
Being an engineer and having a math oriented mind, I can't help but scratch my head about this inefficient and illogical scoring system that is used in the game.  Every player has their 2 cents about the system but I think we can all agree that the system is fundamentally flawed and to rank high you need to perform a laundry list of tasks each month and milk the scoring system to maximize your rank.  I can't sit on my hands any longer without trying to get this system changed.  I have thought of the most efficient, most simplistic solution to the scoring woes that HTC would be foolish not to implement as soon as possible. 

Let me focus on Fighter scoring for the sake of this discussion.  The facts I will outline can be applied to all the categories but for simplifying the discussion I will focus on Fighter scoring.  As it is set up now, 5 categories dictate a fighter's score.  Hit Percentage, Kills/Death, Kills/Sortie, Kills/Time, and Points.  Each category has a weight of 20% of importance to overall Fighter Rank.  In the current system, a player can fly 5 Fighter sorties that he chooses (Probably very easy fights where it will be very easy to gets a mass number of kills and land) and milk his stats and easily get a top 15 Fighter rank that will stand for the entire camp.  He will be able to capitalize on Kills/Death, Hit Percentage, Kills/Sortie, and Kills/Time while sacrificing Points for the campaign (That's milking 80% of the total weight).  Let me use an analogy now:  In baseball, the batting title goes to the player with the best batting average over the course of a season.  It is obviously a great achievement to win the batting title.  In a season a player will probably have 500+ at bats and the more at bats he accumulates, the harder it is to maintain his average and his 'true hitting skills' will be displayed as his number of at bats increases.  Is it fair for a player who only has 75 at bats in a season but hits .400 to win the batting title? Of course not!  You have to qualify with a certain number of at bats to win the award.  This same concept can be applied to the Fighter scoring system.  It sounds like a headache, but it is really simple to do.  Here's how:  All HTC has to do is weight Points to be worth 40-50% of the total fighter rank.  This will have a two prong effect:  One, it will discourage stat milking because if you fly 5 missions all campaign to dominate the other 4 statistical categories(K/D,K/Sortie,K/Time,Hit%) You will only be taking advantage of 50-60% of the total ranking weight.  Flying more missions to accumulate more points will be the only significant way to improve rank.  In doing so, a fighter's true stats will be exposed as the number of flights increase.  The more points he accumulates, the lower his K/D,K/sortie,K/time, and hit percentage will be, exposing his true skills.  The fighter rank of a pilot will be exponentially more accurate and fair using this system.  The implementation of this system will be simple by changing a couple lines of code in the scoring function of the game.

This system can be applied to the remaining categories of attack, vehicle, and bomber and will dramatically improve the scoring aspect of the game.  A fair system will encourage competition and smart flight and will ultimately make the game better.  Any new idea needs support of the community and if you support this change you need to reply and voice your opinion.  It will take many voices in support of this idea to get it implemented.  So show your support for a fair scoring system that you can be proud to be a part of.  <Salute>

Grizz -=Most Wanted=-

typical engineer.......trying to fix something that ain't broken. and they wonder why those of us that spend our time fixing their screw ups don't like em, or respect their degrees :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2008, 08:05:09 AM »

Another thing Snailman...shouldn't rank be a combination of DEDICATION and Skill?

rank is irrelevent.........fun is rellevent
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2008, 08:23:04 AM »
typical engineer.......trying to fix something that ain't broken. and they wonder why those of us that spend our time fixing their screw ups don't like em, or respect their degrees :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't be a jerk.  I've seen you show you're good side now and then. ;)  There's no reason for ad hominem attacks.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2008, 08:34:12 AM »
Don't be a jerk.  I've seen you show you're good side now and then. ;)  There's no reason for ad hominem attacks.

in all honesty......i have more good side than bad side. i absolutley hate engineers though. if you spent 23 or so year workign 8-12 hours a day fixing their screw ups, wouldn't you? they also seem to think that they know everything...most of em anyway.......and refuse to listen, or think anything different from what they were taught can or will work......

had he simply started off talking about the scoring system, and not mentioned being an engineer, i'd have been a little nicer :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2008, 09:03:12 AM »
Hehe, I can understand your reaction a little better now that you point that out. :D

Engineers can't be half as bad as marketing departments. :uhoh
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2008, 09:08:38 AM »
I disagree with the proposed solution as I stated above, however, I do believe there are areas of the scoring system that should be addressed:

1.  Kill hit % in attack and vehicle mode should be determined only by hits against aircraft or GV's, not by hitting buildings/objects.  Buildings and objects are inatimate and cannot be killed.  The hit % should count for any weapon used.

2.  Damage hit % in attack and GV's should be determined when using any type of weapon against buildings or objects.  The restriction to rockets and torpedos is just silly.

3.  There should be no seperate catagory/rank statistic for field captures in Goons or GV's.  Lower the perks gained for captures and increase the points to the equivalent of 1 or 2 damaged buildings for each troop that gets into the maproom, then simply add that total to damage points and factor into damage per sortie, death, etc.

4.  Kills in bombers should become a rankable stat and be tracked by points, K/D, K/S, K/H, etc.  This will reward those who fly into danger rather than those who milk run.  This should, however, ONLY include air kills, not GV kills, to reflect the actual role of the bomber in WWII.

5.  Kills and deaths should be awarded in ship guns and manned acks with all stats blended into the GV category.

6.  Finally, get rid of the attack field capture stat line.

These small changes would make the scoring system simpler and more striagtforward IMO.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2008, 09:10:57 AM »
For the life of me I can't figure out why people complain about SHawk. He is really good at killing stuff in the MA. He flies like he has some damned sense. There seems to be some kind of expectation that once a pilot reaches a certain experience level, he should fly alone on the deck in P-40B or something into vastly superior numbers. Same goes for Steve.

The one problematic and shameful thing people do to game the game IMO, vulching a second account or the like, is something your change in the system does not fix.

Dude, fly like a total fool? People who are open to the notion of flying like a total fool sometimes have more fun.

No offense to SHawk because I know he is a great pilot and under my scoring system I know he'd be a top ranker as well.  But, he is a master at gaming the system.  Any system that can be 'gamed' is no system at all.  Weighting points at 50% will eliminate this 'gaming' to a very high degree.

I feel like I am Galileo trying to explain to the masses that the earth isn't flat or something.  If no one cares though <shrug> we can just keep our horse crap scoring system and keep seeing the same names on the front page for the end of time and complaining about how score means nothing as an excuse to fly like a total fool.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 09:15:29 AM by BnZ »

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2008, 10:46:34 AM »
I disagree with the proposed solution as I stated above, however, I do believe there are areas of the scoring system that should be addressed:

1.  Kill hit % in attack and vehicle mode should be determined only by hits against aircraft or GV's, not by hitting buildings/objects.  Buildings and objects are inatimate and cannot be killed.  The hit % should count for any weapon used.  Agreed

2.  Damage hit % in attack and GV's should be determined when using any type of weapon against enemy buildings or objects.  The restriction to rockets and torpedos is just silly.  Agreed and scored as to the actual amount of damage a player does over the tour as opposed to a few nuka stuka runs.  It's not to much insulting to a dedicated bomber player just disheartening to be out prioritised.

3.  There should be no seperate catagory/rank statistic for field captures in Goons or GV's.  Lower the perks gained for captures and increase the points to the equivalent of 1 or 2 damaged buildings for each troop that gets into the maproom, then simply add that total to damage points and factor into damage per sortie, death, etc.  Disagreed.  WB Fighter Ops used a similar idea.  Folk would de-ack and game a few points with troops even though the capture was impossible.  Keep it as is would be my suggestion

4.  Kills in bombers should become a rankable stat and be tracked by points, K/D, K/S, K/H, etc.  This will reward those who fly into danger rather than those who milk run.  This should, however, ONLY include air kills, not GV kills, to reflect the actual role of the bomber in WWII.  Disagreed / Agree.  WB had this and the ack star was a pain in the arse.  Ack staring is riding your bombers into a furball for the sole perpose of gaining a few kills / points.  GV kills should be taken out as fighters are now.  GV kills would best be scored only in attack / GV mode.

5.  Kills and deaths should be awarded in ship guns and manned acks with all stats blended into the GV category.  Disagreed.  Top ranker's would again hold CV's over PT spawn points for a few PT kills / points

6.  Finally, get rid of the attack field capture stat line. Agreed

These small changes would make the scoring system simpler and more striagtforward IMO.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:55:18 AM by LYNX »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2008, 11:31:48 AM »
Lusche understands the system VERY well. ;)

In the end no matter how you're scored, score will never mean anything to the majority of the community. Don't worry about it and just have fun.

you can't prove fun. the numbers prove fun doesn't exist.  :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"