Author Topic: Warping/lag  (Read 375 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Warping/lag
« on: October 17, 2008, 06:55:22 PM »
I know that the 'packet loss' and 'ping' affect warping, but how much so?  I have satellite (i know it's not great for gaming), and I almost never see warping.  However there are times people will say i am all over the place, and other times it's barely noticeable or non-existent.  So does it take a lot of Ping/packet loss to really make warping bad?  Also why would i almost never see the warping even when i am accused of it?
Or am i wrong in remembering that a warping person will see everyone else warping?
Hopefully it's not too hard to answer.

:salute
  X
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Warping/lag
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 06:11:11 AM »
Satellite connections suffer packet latencies that make the game almost unplayable.  Due to the sheer distance the packets must travel, you are assured latencies of up to 3 seconds.  1.5 seconds is probably the minimum.  It is not packet loss that is the issue.  It is latency. 

Think of it like this.  Take a 1 foot long watering hose and pour water into one end.  You see it come out the other end pretty quickly.  Now, take a 100 foot long hose and pour the same amount of water into it.  It will take much longer to get to the other end, even though it is traveling the same speed.  That is latency.

Yes, to everyone in the game you can be warping badly, especially in high speed maneuvers. 
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 10:28:02 AM »
I know that the 'packet loss' and 'ping' affect warping, but how much so?  I have satellite (i know it's not great for gaming), and I almost never see warping.  However there are times people will say i am all over the place, and other times it's barely noticeable or non-existent.  So does it take a lot of Ping/packet loss to really make warping bad?  Also why would i almost never see the warping even when i am accused of it?
Or am i wrong in remembering that a warping person will see everyone else warping?
Hopefully it's not too hard to answer.

:salute
  X

FYI:  "Latency is the delay between requesting data and getting a response, or in the case of one-way communication, between the actual moment of broadcast and the time actually received at the destination. Compared to ground-based communication, all satellite communications experience high latency due to the signal having to travel 35,000 km (22,000 miles) out into space to a satellite in geostationary orbit and back to Earth again.

The signal delay can be as much as 500 milliseconds to 900 milliseconds, which makes this service unusable for applications requiring real-time user input, such as online games or remote surgery. This delay can be very unpleasant with interactive applications, such as VoIP, videoconferencing, or other person to person communication. The functionality of live interactive access to a distant computer can also be subject to the problems caused by high latency. These problems are more than tolerable for just basic email access and web browsing and in most cases are barely noticeable.

There is no simple way to get around this problem. The delay is primarily due to the speed of light being 299,792.458 km/second (186,282.397 miles per second) in a vacuum. Even if all other signaling delays could be eliminated it still takes the electromagnetic wave 233 milliseconds to travel from ground to the satellite and back to the ground, a total of 70,000 km (44,000 miles) to travel from the source to the destination. 140,000 km (88,000 miles) for a round trip (user to ISP, and then back to user).Factoring in normal delays from other network sources gives a typical connection latency of 500–700 ms. This is far worse latency than even most dial-up modem users' experience, at typically only 150–200 ms total latency."

YMMV  :)
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »
Well normally i get between 750-1300ms Ping, and the game normally runs smoothly.  It's rare i get complaints.  However even when i do get complaints I notice no warping, I though it was said the one lagging would see everyone warping?  If i could i would gladly get something with less lag, but out here cable is not available, yet.  I am attempting to find a way to get closer to town and use cable though. :D
On very rare days i see Latency of 1500+, but that's normally only for a minute or two; however the speeds are decent. :aok
Also Skuzzy you mentioned high speed maneuvers will make warping worse.  Is that because my plane is moving back and forth faster than my internet can send the current plane location data?
Thanks for the help though, and hopefully i can get a better internet sometime in the near future.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"