Author Topic: About Convergence adjustment, and 1 more plug for .shift  (Read 132 times)

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
About Convergence adjustment, and 1 more plug for .shift
« on: April 16, 2000, 11:09:00 AM »
HT when I adjust convergence, that means all my guns converge where I set them, and that point is the center of my gunsite??

Would you, could you (Dr. Seuss plagurism) perhaps give us a way to edit the gunsite, check the gunsite view, and adjust convergence at the same time.

I.E.

I go to set convergence, and I select a set of guns, then I toggle for the cockpit view, and still see the lines showing where the guns converge, I then make tick marks on the gunsite showing where they converge.  I then go back and select the next set of guns, and repeat, until I know where my seperate guns converge, and and judge them against the gunsite.

I.E. Sort of Bore sighting the guns, which was done quite often in RL.  

Also, have you read my call to be able to shift ammo in a bomber from one functional gun to another functional gun?  Any hope that this idea will float?

------------------
"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
  lkbrown1@tir.com  
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2000, 12:21:00 PM »
Anyone read this? Anyone Like this idea?  Anyone at HTC Read this and like this Idea?

------------------

lkbrown1@tir.com      
Hals und beinbruch!

[This message has been edited by Downtown (edited 04-18-2000).]

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2000, 11:33:00 PM »
Downtown,

As I understand it the rounds fired will always have a point of aim straight through the center of the gunsight, whatever the convergence setting is, (at 1G).

For example, if you set the inner guns to converge at 200yards and the outers to converge at 400yards then both firing at the same time will appear to place rounds in the centre of the sight at the respective point of convergence, (at 200 or 400 yards).  

The trajectory of the rounds in order to meet those convergence setting will then be steeper the closer the convergence point is, (so it may appear that rounds are travelling over the top of the gunsight center at close ranges).

In planes with nose mounted guns it is possible to have two points at which the rounds pass through the point of aim, (ie at 200yards on the upwards flight of the round and 350 on the downwards path).  The difference is usually minor and can be mistaken for the natural dispersion of the rounds in flight.

If I haven't explained this clearly then let me know here and I'll draw up a couple of diagrams to illustrate.  A picture being worth a thousand words =)

raxx

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2000, 01:37:00 PM »
 I dont know that any of this matters. Ive slowed film way down to where i could watch every tracer. To my suprise i was drawing a perfect circle around the plane, and never a ping. I stopped aiming at them. I try to aim to the edge of the circle formed by the tracers now.

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2000, 04:06:00 PM »
Well, I don't fire unless my target is inside my convergence ranges, and they are within about 25 yards, so say I set them to 275, 300, and 325.  I start shooting at 325 and stop at 275.  I have one set of guns hitting the center of my circle the hole time.

I put that circle on planes in an HO and they kill me, and fly on as if unhit.

If I am shooting at a turning plane, again in convergence a short lead that has them again inside of comvergence seems way ahead.

Shooting at planes from dead six appears to be high.

Almost always my tracers appear high or low.

I thought I would do much better with the gravity correction in 1.02, but alas I don't think I am.

I find it hard to believe its rubber bullets cause kill shooter test works, I see sprites, RW and Typing replies are usually immediate.

I am pretty good about hitting ground targets.

I think the fixed bore site test I am asking for would help me.

I am really worrying cause I can fly next to someone from my squad in the same plane, the are faster.

I fly the same plane against an enemy and they easily outmanuver me, even when I start with altitued and speed advantages.

I know who some of the real pilots are, and it seems like I survive longer against them, but ultimately get killed.

It also seems that the plane I fly is more fragile than if someone else is flying the same type.

I am becomming very frustrated.

------------------

lkbrown1@tir.com      
Hals und beinbruch!

[This message has been edited by Downtown (edited 04-19-2000).]

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2000, 06:12:00 AM »
Downtown,

I'll try to answer each point you have raised above.  It may sound like I'm telling you stuff you already know.  If that's the case skip to the next point.  

Overall though it sounds like you are getting frustrated from being killed more than you kill other people.  You'll just have to trust me that it's a part of the learning curve.  It is frustrating but sooner or later you'll work out the "why" and turn it into a "won't happen again".  My current "why" is "Why does Jekyll kill me all the time".  The answer is I blow my energy advantage and he turns the tables on me.  The solution is that I have to fly smarter now.

I put that circle on planes in an HO and they kill me, and fly on as if unhit. The best solution is to fly so you don't get in a head-on situation.  If you can't avoid a Head on then start firing at 1.2k and aim a little over the top of their plane.  As they get closer, (say 700-600 yards), drop the center of your sight on to the center of their plane.  The ballistic path of the bullets at 1.2k means you have to aim over the top of the target aircrat to "lob" the cannon shells onto the target.  Like the panzer lobs HE Rounds to a target.
If I am shooting at a turning plane, again in convergence a short lead that has them again inside of comvergence seems way ahead.
You just have to get used to the ballistics of each plane and it's weapons.  I'd suggest picking one plane and fly only that plane for a month.  You will get used to the planes characteristics faster than if you fly a different plane each night.  I did this with a P38 and can now hit a high deflection nearly head on pass out to 800 yards now.
Shooting at planes from dead six appears to be high.
Fire closer in, (say 150 yards), but leave your convergence settings at 275-325.  The convergence is where the most rounds will hit and cause maximum damage but also means you have a smaller strike zone.  Bullets hit harder at 150 yards than 300 yards so they can be more spread out.  This is oversimplifying however keep firing inside convergence settings.  You will still get hits and cause damage.
Almost always my tracers appear high or low.  They look like that because of the the flight path of the round and the natural dispersion of the rounds due to the machineguns shaking the plane. The rounds still converge at the range you set.
I thought I would do much better with the gravity correction in 1.02, but alas I don't think I am.  Just something to get used to, (I'm consistently between 10 and 13% accuracy since beta tour 2).  It's not the gravity.

I find it hard to believe its rubber bullets cause kill shooter test works, I see sprites, RW and Typing replies are usually immediate. You are right it isn't rubber bullets.  

I am pretty good about hitting ground targets.  You pull less G forces firing at slow moving ground targets.  Firing at planes that are banking and  climbing can put up to 3 times as many G forces on your plane, (positive or negative G's).

I think the fixed bore site test I am asking for would help me.  It might but I don't think HTC will rewrite the code just to reset the sights.

I am really worrying cause I can fly next to someone from my squad in the same plane, the are faster. Everyone at one time or another flies faster or turns better in the same plane.  For example they may use more rudder to turn tighter, (but they bleed energy faster than you).  That's just a difference between pilots and how they trim their planes.

I fly the same plane against an enemy and they easily outmanuver me, even when I start with altitued and speed advantages.  Same here with me against Jekyll.  I think it's because he practices more than me as well.

I know who some of the real pilots are, and it seems like I survive longer against them, but ultimately get killed.  Look at the score pages and see who the top  pilots are in kills per death and then look at their kills per time.  The pilots who survive the most take the longest to get a kill because they won't try to press a bad situation.  Just wait for the other guy to make a mistake.  You seems to survive better because they are waiting for you to make a mistake.  As you get better they will make the mistake and you will kill them!

It also seems that the plane I fly is more fragile than if someone else is flying the same type.  Yep, it always seems that way for me too.  It's because I'm not a great fighter pilot, (I prefer to fly bombers).
I am becomming very frustrated.  I'd suggest asking a trainer for help.  They can strengthen your good points and help correct the weaker ones.

Spotcha in the Air

raxx

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2000, 09:24:00 PM »
Downtown;

Sometime go to the TA and get in on a "Free for All".  Basically you take off and then you are fair game, so is everone else.  

Typically the dogfighting is off in a canyon or vally adjacent to a base.  You get alot of shooting, learn defection quicker and find  what works and what does not.  The action is non-stop and very good practice.

Good Luck!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew