Author Topic: Where'd they hide the fleet?  (Read 261 times)

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Where'd they hide the fleet?
« on: February 25, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
Something really needs to be done about hidden fleets after a port is captured.  IMFO this is a verra serious gameplay issue.

There are some in this game who think it's tops to hide a task group, then taunt those in the country who own that TGs port when they start looking for it.  They'll even go so far as to give the impression they'll let you have it and then make you waste well over an hour of your time flying to the boat just to thumb thier noses at you and say "Screw you!"  Guess they get some kind of pre-pubescent power trip or something, getting thier jollies by ruining the fun of others.  I can't speak for anyone else, but my available time for flying is reduced as the boys grow (they're now 5mo).

When a port is captured why not show the icon of the fleet that belongs to that port to both the country who has possesion of the fleet and the country who has possesion of the port?  This would do away with the ability of those to hide the fleet and make people waste thier time hunting for the ships.  At least those with time to spare could go exactly where they needed to.
Another idea along these lines is to show the icon to the country that 'rightfully' owns the port when they recapture it, to prevent the kindegardners from hiding the task group in the farthest corner of the map.

Maybe have the fleets autopilot to within a 100mile radius of the port.  Whoever has control can do whatever they want with the fleet with the exception of sailing her more than 100miles from her home port if his country dinnae own the port.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
Why give the country that captures the port another fleet at all?

If I take your port and sink your CV, you simply have lost a TF and a port facility.

I hold the port but do not get an additional fleet.

As long as I hold the port, you don't get your TF back. In fact, AFTER you take it back you have to wait a period of time for it to regenerate.

Say an additional 15 to 30 minutes, something that would sting a bit in any case.

Or enough time to allow the country that took the port to remount another attempt.

Just a thought. Not sure we need 3-4 fleets running around in anyone country. Seems that it's rare that even two are being used offensively.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2001, 07:47:00 PM »
Flying off the map and "let's hide the fleet" are a couple of gaming the game issues that I dislike and that will not go away.

Fleets are mostly a waste of time as far as I am concerned anyway, no one flies off them till they are 5 miles from a base, then it is a c hog swarm and desperate calls for a goon that has to fly 50+ miles.

AH fleets are the lazymans way to a furball.

If there is no interest in fighting off them till we can takeoff shooting, why even have them?

CV fleets in WWII seldom saw an ememy fleet and for sure were not sailed up to an airfield before units flew off them.

Removing a fleet from danger is right, hiding it so no one can attack it for a couple days bites bigtime.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2001, 09:12:00 PM »
If there is no interest in fighting off them till we can takeoff shooting, why even have them?

I love manning the guns, a lot of the time when I log on if a fleet isn't in range of a base I leave.

TheWobble

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2001, 10:04:00 PM »

Flying off the map and "let's hide the fleet" are a couple of gaming the game issues that I dislike and that will not go away.

I would call having to keep the fleet on the map "gamey"  you think that just because its not on the map ya shouldent be able to go there?  

And as far as not showing up on "radar" when off the map being "gamey", umm in case you havent noticed the AH "radar" is the most "gamey" thing there is.

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2001, 10:43:00 PM »
TW, in case who has not noticed?

Are you just being you smart-assed self  here?

My thoughts on radar are around here somewhere, go find them.

As far as your statement regarding keeping the fleet on the map....nevermind, you would not understand.

You are amusing tho, keep it up.

Well Jihad, you need  a battleship game don'tcha?

------------------

TheWobble

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2001, 11:01:00 AM »

Are you just being you smart-assed self here?

No I just made a valid point, for which you have no counter, so you revert to a personal attack, WTG!.

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2001, 04:22:00 PM »
Thanks TW.

------------------

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2001, 05:24:00 PM »
Sounds to me like a buncha sour grapes.  We were without fleets for a few days in Bishland last week thanks to some individuals who decided to "hide" our fleets.  When the tables turned however, it was funny to hear those same folks whine over not being able to find the fleet we took from them.

I guess the moral to the story is that everybody has done it, so what can you do to stop it?  Probably nothing....people will keep doing anything they can regardless of whether or not it is "gaming the game."

Oh...and by the way Sunchaser....you really need to come over to Bishland sometime and fly with the Dickweeds.  I know how much you like large bomber formations....had a blast flying with these guys last week.  Hopefully get to do it again Tuesday night.  

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2001, 09:16:00 AM »
Separate the fleets, CV's didn't come in to shore so the CA could pound targets, they used separate Task groups for that, Delete the CA from the CV group, give it a CL armed with 5" (San Diego class, 12 5" guns) create a TG with 2 CA's and 3-4 DD's (not able to spawn PT's) and let the shore bombardment types have a field day.

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
We just need a new map with a BIG fargin lake in the middle and shallow waters 1 sector from the nearest land...

That way all the navy dweeb can chog and flak each other to death over the seas.

Add a troop ship and landing craft (if troop ship is killed no landing craft avaliable) so fleets can take coastal fields, add coastal defense guns and it will be all right.

Heck, the fleets may as well replace furball island in the middle! Think about it, all the chog dweebs spraying each other to death and then running to fleet ack!!! Oh, that would be poetic justice!    

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
"We just need a new map with a BIG fargin lake in the middle and shallow waters 1 sector from the nearest land..."

So you heard HT online that day too eh?

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2001, 08:41:00 AM »

Originally posted by sling322:
Sounds to me like a buncha sour grapes.  We were without fleets for a few days in Bishland last week thanks to some individuals who decided to "hide" our fleets.  When the tables turned however, it was funny to hear those same folks whine over not being able to find the fleet we took from them.

I guess the moral to the story is that everybody has done it, so what can you do to stop it?  Probably nothing....people will keep doing anything they can regardless of whether or not it is "gaming the game."

Oh...and by the way Sunchaser....you really need to come over to Bishland sometime and fly with the Dickweeds.  I know how much you like large bomber formations....had a blast flying with these guys last week.  Hopefully get to do it again Tuesday night.    

The Dweebalt Heavy bomber group?

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2001, 09:06:00 AM »
EDITED .. wrong thread

[This message has been edited by Duckwing6 (edited 02-28-2001).]

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2001, 11:56:00 AM »

Originally posted by Pongo:

The Dweebalt Heavy bomber group?

Geez for a bunch of guys that successfully intercepted a high alt bomb run and succeeded in shooting all of the bombers down, you rooks sure are a buncha crybabies.