Author Topic: Could this idea spur on major tank battles? ...  (Read 178 times)

bfield

Could this idea spur on major tank battles? ...
« on: April 19, 2000, 09:24:00 PM »
When you leave the field in a tank you get a token which allows you to spawn a mini tank depot at up to some maximum distance from the field.

This mini tank depot can then source up 2 tanks.  Now the distance to the nme is shorter for the 2 new players and with their tanks they each get a token such that up to a max distance further, they each can spawn mini depots.  Now you have 7 tanks all much closer to the enemy, and so on with the later players having a much shorter driving distance and the added bonus that they will be traveling with numbers   .

Of course, whoever started closer to the home front gets more points   .

Having the depots show up dynamically on the map is probably the biggest implementation hangup.  But if it were feasible, this idea may have some interesting strategic implications etc.

Thoughts?

-bfield

[This message has been edited by bfield (edited 04-19-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2000, 08:22:00 AM »
Great idea, but I wonder how hard  this would  be to implement into  an online game.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2000, 08:59:00 AM »
bfield,

You are aware that the vehicle depots have multiple spawn points now, aren't you?

If I read your post correctly, we can sort of do that now by selecting the spawn point closest to the enemy field.

Mickey

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2000, 10:33:00 AM »
Just so you know, SUPERFLY told me that troop-carrying APCs are in the works as an alternative to field capture.  That might make the ground war more pertinent  

------------------
leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

bfield

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2000, 01:05:00 PM »

bfield, You are aware that the vehicle depots have multiple spawn points now, aren't you?

Doh! Know I didn't know that Mickey   .  I've only logged on twice since tanks came out.  I'd play more if I could, but RL these precludes leisure activities   .  Both times I spawned at a forward field and drove for an hour to the nme forward field.

Hehe, I guess I should wait until I have more time to play and shore up my ignorance a bit before I start posting on game play issues!

-bfield

Ummm, P.S. How does one spawn at a forward point?

[This message has been edited by bfield (edited 04-20-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2000, 01:13:00 PM »
I guess no one understood the humor in my first post.  

bfield

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2000, 03:28:00 PM »
Ripsnort,
I apparently try very hard not to understand anything on this board,   but even if I try, I still don't get it.  I'm pretty dense as it is though.

-bfield

skippy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2000, 01:20:00 AM »
Hmm  this sounds toooo much like COMMAND & CONQUER . Thats a common tactic in C&C and was eliminated because it was indefensible. You literally had no chance of stopping it. which would prolly happen here .

bfield

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2000, 03:17:00 PM »
Skippy wrote:

Thats a common tactic in C&C and was              eliminated because it was indefensible. You literally had no chance of stopping it. which would prolly happen here

I think the defensibility would depend on the rate at which new tanks could be spawned.  This tank growth rate could be restricted by
  • Limiting the number of tanks per new depot
  • Limiting the minimum distance between depots (i.e. you have to travel a radius of x before you can spawn a new depot).

For example.  If each tank could spawn 1 depot which could spawn 2 tanks; the spawn radius were 4 miles; the nme field distance were 19 miles. Then (assuming no tank casualties) the max tank force reaching the nme field (due to the original tank) would be 1+3+4+8=15.

-bfield

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2000, 02:51:00 AM »
bfield:

All hangars have NESW compass buttons around the H (fly) button. Planes can use this to launch on the runway in that direction or in the hangar, vehicles can use this (on vehicle bases only) to spawn about 10 mls next to the adjacent field in that direction.

Az

II.(K)/JG2

bfield

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2000, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks Azrael, this must be what Mickey was talking about.  That pretty much makes makes my idea irrelevant -- thanks for the tip.

-bfield

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2000, 04:13:00 PM »
In real life, on the front, was there really anything like a "tank base".  Weren't tanks self sufficient (well supplied by trucks with fuel/oil etc.) and went and stayed wherever needed?  Why not allow the player to spawn his tank ANYwhere in friendly territory by just pointing on the map where he wants to start.  The game already keeps track of friendly territory (ie to calculate if you bailed or are captured).  

With the current setup, I am amazed at how many people have the patience to drive a tank for over an hour only to be toasted by an F4U-1C and then turn around and drive for an hour again.

715A

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2000, 01:28:00 PM »
The longest time it takes me to get  to target is 35 min.  The avg. time is 20 min.  By using the spawn points mentioned above from Vehicle depots.  An hour?  Not.