Author Topic: American tank  (Read 5018 times)

Offline **CLONE155**

• Zinc Member
American tank
« on: November 09, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »
I don't know if many of you knows this, but we don't have a serious american tank. The closest thing we have is the M8.

Now for those of you saying "wow this guy is stupid, we have the sherman" well the sherman that we have is called the M4A4. This is the M4 that had a british 17 pounder for a main gun. This was not used much by americans, this was mainly used by Britain, France, and China.

Now i did some reserch and found that the M4A3 was the perefered tank of the americans.

Here is the picture:

http://www.military-collections.com/Planes%20of%20Fame%20photos/ShermanTank.jpg

And this is the sherman that we have:

http://www.liberationchildren.org/lib/lib4/images/Harderwijk.jpg

I may just be splitting hairs, but this tank I feel would be a good match against the Panzers. And it wouldn't be perked  :aok

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
Re: American tank
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:10:28 PM »
Love over do in HTC love to see it added along with the Panther.  :aok
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:23:45 PM »
Right on, definitely one of the biggest holes in the GV set right now.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:31:09 PM »
Bingo!  Short barrelled M4.  There were a lot of M4 variants, and since so many had the same hull, turret armor, and performance, it would be easy to add the variants that only differed with main gun.  Then we could have the short barrelled version, the howitzer version, and the big gunned version that had a 76mm (correct me if my recollection is off)  Heck, we could even add the Sherman Calliope as discussed recently in another thread.
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline P1Tiger

• Copper Member
      • VMF-214 'Black Sheep'
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 11:20:46 PM »
Bingo!  Short barrelled M4.  There were a lot of M4 variants, and since so many had the same hull, turret armor, and performance, it would be easy to add the variants that only differed with main gun.  Then we could have the short barrelled version, the howitzer version, and the big gunned version that had a 76mm (correct me if my recollection is off)  Heck, we could even add the Sherman Calliope as discussed recently in another thread.

as posted by me, that would help out A LOT but im for the new tank
VMF-214'Black Sheep' here since tour 93.

http://www.VMFBlackSheep214.webs.com

"It was war. We were defending our country. We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight."
— Captain Wilfrid Reid 'Wop' May, RFC

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:57:11 AM »
US M4 Sub-Types
M4- Continental radial engine; welded hull; 75-mm and 105-mm versions only. Users: US, Britain, Poland, France (one vehicle). Some very late M4s had composite cast/welded hulls (cast hull front identical to M4A1 (76) W.).
M4(105) - Upgraded with 105 mm M4 howitzer.
M4(105) HVSS - M4(105) w/ HVSS.
M4A1 - Continental radial engine; one-piece cast hull; 75-mm and 76-mm versions built. Users: US, Britain, South Africa, France (small numbers), China
M4A1E4/M4A1(76)W - Upgraded with 76 mm M1 gun.
M4A1E8/M4A1(76)W HVSS - Upgraded with widetrack Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS), fitted with the 76 mm M1 gun.
M4A1E9 - Unknown configuration, possibly an upgrade of existing M4A1s with 76 mm guns.
M4A2 - Diesel-powered; welded hull; 75-mm and 76-mm guns. Users: USSR (M4C), USMC, France, Britain, Poland. No US Army combat use.
M4A2E8/M4A2(76)W HVSS - Upgraded with widetrack Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS), fitted with the 76mm M1 gun.
M4A3 - Ford GAA V-8 engine; welded hull; 75-mm, 76-mm, and 105-mm guns. Users: US, France (small numbers). The M4A3 was the preferred US Army vehicle.
M4A3(75) - M4A3 w/ 75mm M3 gun.
M4A3(105) - M4A3 w/ 105mm M4 howitzer.
M4A3E2 Assault Tank - postwar nickname "Jumbo"/"Cobra King" - extra armour (including 4" on front), vertical sided turret, but about 3-4 mph slower. Built with 75 mm gun but frequently re-armed by the using units with 76-mm guns. Grousers fitted to the tracks. Users: US, France (one vehicle)
M4A3E4/M4A3(76)W - M4A3 w/ 76mm M1 gun.
M4A3E8/M4A3(76)W HVSS (Easy Eight) - Upgraded with widetrack Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS), fitted with the 76mm M1 gun. The new suspension allowed for more armor to be added.
M4A3E9/M4A3(105) HVSS - Upgraded with widetrack Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS), fitted with the 105mm M4 howitzer.
M4A4 - Chrysler A57 engine; welded, lengthened hull; 75-mm gun only as-built. Many re-armed with British 17-pounder guns ("Firefly"). Users: Britain, France, China
M4A5 - No US vehicle was built with this designation; the number was meant to signify Canadian production.
M4A6 - Diesel engine; composite cast/welded hull lengthened similarly to the M4A4; 75-mm gun only. Only a few dozen of this variant were built and none were used in combat.

[edit] US Non-"M4" Sherman-based Vehicles
Variants without the M4 designation but built on the M4 medium chassis (While some began on the M3 chassis, some subvariants were switched to the M4 chassis during production. These are the models listed here):

105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M7B1 - self-propelled 105 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage (HMC) based on the M4A3 Sherman chassis.
155mm Gun Motor Carriage M12 - self-propelled 155 mm Gun Motor Carriage (GMC).
Cargo Carrier M30 - Cargo Carrier (an M12 with crew and ammunition space in lieu of the gun).
155mm Gun Motor Carriage M40 - self-propelled 155 mm GMC (Either M1A1 or M2 gun) based on the M4A3 (HVSS) chassis.
8in Howitzer Motor Carriage M43 - self-propelled 8 inch HMC (standardized post-WWII).
3in Gun Motor Carriage M10 - tank destroyer based on the M4A2 Sherman chassis.
3in Gun Motor Carriage M10A1 - Same as the M10, but based on the M4A3 Sherman chassis.
90mm Gun Motor Carriage M36 - tank destroyer based on M10A1 hull (M4A3 chassis); standard model.
90mm Gun Motor Carriage M36B1 - tank destroyer based on M4A3 Sherman hull and chassis; expedient model.
90mm Gun Motor Carriage M36B2 - tank destroyer based on M10 hull (M4A2 chassis, diesel); expedient model.

good old wikipedia
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »
Two words...  Duplex Drive!  :aok

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »
I don't know if many of you knows this, but we don't have a serious american tank. The closest thing we have is the M8.

Now for those of you saying "wow this guy is stupid, we have the sherman" well the sherman that we have is called the M4A4. This is the M4 that had a british 17 pounder for a main gun. This was not used much by americans, this was mainly used by Britain, France, and China.

Now i did some reserch and found that the M4A3 was the perefered tank of the americans.

Here is the picture:

http://www.military-collections.com/Planes%20of%20Fame%20photos/ShermanTank.jpg

And this is the sherman that we have:

http://www.liberationchildren.org/lib/lib4/images/Harderwijk.jpg

I may just be splitting hairs, but this tank I feel would be a good match against the Panzers. And it wouldn't be perked  :aok

More tanks that can survive the one shot kill is what we need, not another tank that can get killed by one shot form everything except a M8.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »

More tanks that can survive the one shot kill is what we need, not another tank that can get killed by one shot form everything except a M8.

Half the reason we always die to one shot in tanks is because half the drivers are in super-cheap M4s.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 01:55:35 PM »
Yeah...PERSONALLY...add the regular sherman and gum down it's gun a bit, perk up the Firefly by 2-3 perks and we should be all set.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 01:55:50 PM »
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 03:39:05 PM »
Yeah...PERSONALLY...add the regular sherman and gum down it's gun a bit, perk up the Firefly by 2-3 perks and we should be all set.

Sherman should cost more than 2-3 extra perks.  As things are now it's far and away the best tank in the game for its price.  It stomps on the panzer and is the equal of the Tiger because of its ability to kill it with one shell.  Double its price and you might start to approach something reasonable.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 03:43:11 PM »
Sherman should cost more than 2-3 extra perks.  As things are now it's far and away the best tank in the game for its price.  It stomps on the panzer and is the equal of the Tiger because of its ability to kill it with one shell.  Double its price and you might start to approach something reasonable.
Well, I know. Basically anything higher than it is right now would be amazing...the avg perk price maybe in the 20s range. Drop the Tiger a little...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 03:46:32 PM »
I'm fine with the Tiger remaining expensive because it does outclass everything except the M4.  Perk rides are supposed to be the exception, not the rule the way they are now in AH gv fights.  The trouble is that we only have 2 unperked tanks, and no one will bother with the T-34/76, hence this thread! ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline **CLONE155**

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 03:58:22 PM »
The trouble is that we only have 2 unperked tanks, and no one will bother with the T-34/76, hence this thread! ;)

Good point!