Author Topic: American tank  (Read 5012 times)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Re: American tank
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »
. . . and no one will bother with the T-34/76, hence this thread! ;)
Really?

October Late War tour:

T-34/76 has 4298 Kills of All models

All models have 7273 Kills of T-34/76
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »
News to me!  I almost never see them.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »
Half the reason we always die to one shot in tanks is because half the drivers are in super-cheap M4s.

I am utterly amazed when players whine about how the Firefly can kill their panzer or Tiger in 1 shot.  It was able to do it in real life, why should it be any different in game?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 10:14:25 PM »
I am utterly amazed when players whine about how the Firefly can kill their panzer or Tiger in 1 shot.  It was able to do it in real life, why should it be any different in game?

ack-ack

You missed the point, entirely.  Though I bet you could find it if you weren't more focused on accusing others of whining just for the sake of one-upmanship. :D

Hint: it has to do with economics.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline P1Tiger

• Copper Member
      • VMF-214 'Black Sheep'
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 08:55:27 PM »
I'm fine with the Tiger remaining expensive because it does outclass everything except the M4........

then why could the t-34 crash into a tiger to disable it without firing off its 76mm and back up and take off?
if you ask me the Russian t-34 should be up their with the tiger and m4
VMF-214'Black Sheep' here since tour 93.

http://www.VMFBlackSheep214.webs.com

"It was war. We were defending our country. We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight."
— Captain Wilfrid Reid 'Wop' May, RFC

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »
then why could the t-34 crash into a tiger to disable it without firing off its 76mm and back up and take off?
if you ask me the Russian t-34 should be up their with the tiger and m4

Tigers were armoured the heaviest in the front, you could shoot at the front of it all day and not to much
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
Tigers were armoured the heaviest in the front, you could shoot at the front of it all day and not to much

Ehhh... depends on the gun your using and the angle your hitting that front armor at.  Their armor is thick in the front but is designed at the worst possible angle for incoming shells.  One major flaw to the Tiger's armor over other tanks of that era was that it was very box-shape (which at the start of the war would of been fine, but with huge advances throughout the war on both sides in higher-velocity and better armor piercing guns/ammunition, you did not want to stop those shells with nothing but the pure thickness/mass of your armor like the tiger was designed to do, rather take that thick armor and angle it so most of an incoming shell's energy was deflected instead of absorbed).  One common strategy was having your enemy at a 1 or 11 o'clock position, this resulted in the thick front armor deflecting the shells instead of trying to "eat" the shell with the pure mass of the front armor.  But again due to the very box-like shape, this exposed the large and broad sides of the tiger to the enemy (though at a very steep angle, but still made it so a flanking tank didn't have to flank you as much to get a clean 90-degree shot to your side/rear.)

Look at the difference in the hulls of a Tiger and a King Tiger and you'll see they made changes in these flaws.  The front armor is sloped/angled/not-as-flat-as-a-brick-wall.  Also, imagine yourself facing a king tiger from it's 1 or 11 o'clock, you'll notice the slanted/angled armor on the sides in the rear so that it's weaker sides are a much lower profile than on a tiger and pretty much just gives you the thick front armor (or turret) to hit at a bad angle.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »
Ehhh... depends on the gun your using and the angle your hitting that front armor at.  Their armor is thick in the front but is designed at the worst possible angle for incoming shells.  One major flaw to the Tiger's armor over other tanks of that era was that it was very box-shape (which at the start of the war would of been fine, but with huge advances throughout the war on both sides in higher-velocity and better armor piercing guns/ammunition, you did not want to stop those shells with nothing but the pure thickness/mass of your armor like the tiger was designed to do, rather take that thick armor and angle it so most of an incoming shell's energy was deflected instead of absorbed).  One common strategy was having your enemy at a 1 or 11 o'clock position, this resulted in the thick front armor deflecting the shells instead of trying to "eat" the shell with the pure mass of the front armor.  But again due to the very box-like shape, this exposed the large and broad sides of the tiger to the enemy (though at a very steep angle, but still made it so a flanking tank didn't have to flank you as much to get a clean 90-degree shot to your side/rear.)

Look at the difference in the hulls of a Tiger and a King Tiger and you'll see they made changes in these flaws.  The front armor is sloped/angled/not-as-flat-as-a-brick-wall.  Also, imagine yourself facing a king tiger from it's 1 or 11 o'clock, you'll notice the slanted/angled armor on the sides in the rear so that it's weaker sides are a much lower profile than on a tiger and pretty much just gives you the thick front armor (or turret) to hit at a bad angle.
It true look at the Panther that why the back of the King Tiger or the Panther had slope in then  out.
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 02:57:07 PM »
well im just speaking out of what ive learned from the military and history channel, ruskies had to adopt some new tactics because those suckers were so tough and only a shot to their 6 would penetrate and destroy it fast, not to say it cant be done from the front, however it was just really difficult.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »
can we please add the cromwell while were at it? please..?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwell_tank

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »
can we please add the cromwell while were at it? please..?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwell_tank

(Image removed from quote.)
I would love to see the Cromwell be added. :pray :pray

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 05:36:41 PM »
Any American tanks or Sherman variants are welcomed by me.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 10:21:11 AM »

Offline glock89

• Gold Member

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 12:59:58 PM »

ack-ack

It shouldn't but it does eem to be able to take a little more than it should. I have had rounds from a Tiger bounce right off a firefly. That should not happen.