Author Topic: New Vid Card  (Read 2665 times)

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Re: New Vid Card
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 10:03:34 AM »
The limiting factor here is your CPU, any VC above a certain point is a waste. so yes the 9600GSO is more then enough card. Most systems (even single VC gaming rigs) draw well under 350W's at peak. The key is a quality PS that can handle this peak output without strain and provide "clean" power...the unit listed will meet any and all needs you'll have with your current box....if you can fit it in the case it will handle it.

I do not get into "brand wars" based on anyone's particular issues. One persons issue is not anothers. Now certain brands have a well deserved reputation worth paying a bit extra for but as a rule VC's are only manufactured by a handful of companies and most are just private label from the same sources (not all). For example Sapphire makes (or did make) all "ATI" branded cards as well as a bunch of others. nothing at all wrong with that ASUS card.
Asus does make good components, I own several.  The thing with them is that if you do have an RMA they are hard to deal with.  Then tend to blame other componets before taking blame.  eVGA has a no questions asked thing plus their 90 day step up program.

I agree his limiting factor is the CPU, but if he gets a good PSU and decent Video Card, he can maybe use them in a build down the road.  Either way I dont believe an expansion or add-in PSU is the route for him to go IMO.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 11:09:37 AM »
You seem to know the most of whats going on here, especially when it comes to my particular computer, so Ill ask you specifically on this one.

Im looking at the PSU humble listed, as well as the graphics card. You've said the PSU is sufficient, do you think the card is as well for what im looking for? And would you suggest I go with this package?

Again, thank you all very much for all this help. I really am clueless when it comes to these matters :(

I know everything in this thread may be hard to digest because you've got 5 people telling you what to do.  So I understand if you've having a tough time deciding, especially when you may be a little green in the computer parts department.  Whatever you do choose, just keep in mind its going to be a much better improvement over your current computer, guaranteed. 

The one key thing I would do before hitting the buy button is we need to check something that TilDeath alluded to.  That is checking the physical size of your power supply in your computer.  I know your computer is a Micro-Atx size and is smaller than the more common Mid-Size ATX.  Occasionally, you will find that in Micro-ATX cases that power supplies are smaller than the more common standard size ones.  What I'd like you to do is open up the side of your computer and get the Length, Height and Width dimensions of that little gray box power supply.  I'd like to make sure the size of your PSU before you do any upgrading or hitting the buy button.

Standard ATX power supply dimensions will usually be in the range of 3.25" x 6" x 5.5" (H x W x D) while typical Micro ATX power supply dimensions are in the range of 2.5" x 5" x 4" (H x W x D).  We don't want to order the wrong one.

Hypothetically, if you were to order your parts and you had a standard size PSU, here is what I would recommend as a modest budget.  IMO, I wouldn't drop too much money in the video department because it may be a waste because of your PSU.  I believe you have an AMD 4200+ X2 processor.  Now it is a good CPU, but if were were to drop $$$ on a video card, your CPU would not perform up to par with the $$$ videro card = wasted money.  Also, I hear your concenrs about not wanting to blow it all away on just this.  So what I'm recommending is modest and not over the top.

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150320
XFX PVT96OSDFH GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB 192-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
$109.99 - $30 MIR= $79.99
I like XFX over humble's Asus card because XFX offers a lifetime warranty and Asus does not.  Lifetime warranties are always very nice and have come in handy more than once in my experience.

PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$79.99 - $35 MIR = $44.99

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148163
 Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
$24.99
No need for more expensive stuff here, we're not overclocking your computer and this stuff will fit the bill just nicely.  A 2gb upgrade, total 3gb system will be a VERY nice increase in speed.  Especially if you're on Vista.

Total before MIR: $214.97
Total after MIR: $149.97
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 01:14:08 PM »
Serenity, as Fulmar posted it's hard to know what to do with so many people suggesting things.  My advice would be Follow the general lines Fulmar and BaldEagl have.  Not to say anyone else is bad to listen to, but they seem to be the most knowledgeable of the Tech support around here, next to Skuzzy of course. :D

As for replacing the PSU, it's not so hard as it looks.  I replaced my first PSU back in March and have replaced it 3 times since.
Some simple things to do: Of course have the PC Powered off and unplugged from everything before this.
-Open the case and simply look around inside the case and study it for a bit.  Get a good idea what is connected to what.  Where Wires go.
-Attempt to find out where the PSU will slide out, visually.  See where it is blocked, and obviously will not come out.  Figure out if there are multiple ways.
-Take notes if needed for where wires are going, and what is connected to everything.  Just see what type of wire goes where.
-If needed test how to remove some of the wires safely.  Such as the 20/24-pin Motherboard connection has a clip, while 4-pins simply pull out.

Safety:
-Make sure to be grounded if you decide to touch anything.
-Don't pull on the wires to remove a plug that is in too snug, simply wiggle it out slowly and carefully.
-Don't have food/drink anywhere nearby.
-When removing the PSU be sure not to accidentally drop the screwdriver inside the PC.  May sound dumb, but I lost a Motherboard to that.

Of course I am no expert.  Simply ask around if you have a problem in that little box. :aok
Please don't take my path, Trial and Error.  It cost me 2 Motherboards, 3 PSUs and 2 CPUs over the past year or two.

Also, Fulmar quick question:  I have a Micro-ATX form, and use a ATX PSU, should it not fit due to that?  (Assuming the Specs are right it's ATX.)

:salute
"If it isn't working, don't force it"
   X
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »
Tildeath made best suggestions. He can get the hardware under/close to online prices. If you have a problem, I am sure he will help out. BTW the visiontek add on psu installs in box and is same size as a dvd/cd player. It actually mounts in slots inside computer box. I would definitely use Tildeath. He is trustworthy. Most of us are making suggestions from buying online with nice pricing then you have to deal with RMA's if anything is bad.

See Rule #6

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 02:43:39 PM »
Also, Fulmar quick question:  I have a Micro-ATX form, and use a ATX PSU, should it not fit due to that?  (Assuming the Specs are right it's ATX.)
It depends on the computer case.  There are computer that are micro-ATX cases but have a full size PSU (which is more common).  Occasionally, you'll come across a micro-ATX case that needs a Micro-ATX PSU.  As long as it fits in the case, there is no reason for concern.  They work the same way, just have physical size differences.  The two Micro-ATX computers I've own, a 466mhz Dell (now in computer heaven) used a full size PSU.  My other one, an IBM Aptiva 550mhz (serves as my linux firewall box) also uses a full size PSU.

And like I said, it depends on the cases physical dimensions.  More often than not, OEM computer with non-traditional shapes (really skinny or what not) use these smaller PSU's.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 11:24:58 PM »
I know everything in this thread may be hard to digest because you've got 5 people telling you what to do.  So I understand if you've having a tough time deciding, especially when you may be a little green in the computer parts department.  Whatever you do choose, just keep in mind its going to be a much better improvement over your current computer, guaranteed. 

The one key thing I would do before hitting the buy button is we need to check something that TilDeath alluded to.  That is checking the physical size of your power supply in your computer.  I know your computer is a Micro-Atx size and is smaller than the more common Mid-Size ATX.  Occasionally, you will find that in Micro-ATX cases that power supplies are smaller than the more common standard size ones.  What I'd like you to do is open up the side of your computer and get the Length, Height and Width dimensions of that little gray box power supply.  I'd like to make sure the size of your PSU before you do any upgrading or hitting the buy button.

Standard ATX power supply dimensions will usually be in the range of 3.25" x 6" x 5.5" (H x W x D) while typical Micro ATX power supply dimensions are in the range of 2.5" x 5" x 4" (H x W x D).  We don't want to order the wrong one.

Hypothetically, if you were to order your parts and you had a standard size PSU, here is what I would recommend as a modest budget.  IMO, I wouldn't drop too much money in the video department because it may be a waste because of your PSU.  I believe you have an AMD 4200+ X2 processor.  Now it is a good CPU, but if were were to drop $$$ on a video card, your CPU would not perform up to par with the $$$ videro card = wasted money.  Also, I hear your concenrs about not wanting to blow it all away on just this.  So what I'm recommending is modest and not over the top.

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150320
XFX PVT96OSDFH GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB 192-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
$109.99 - $30 MIR= $79.99
I like XFX over humble's Asus card because XFX offers a lifetime warranty and Asus does not.  Lifetime warranties are always very nice and have come in handy more than once in my experience.

PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$79.99 - $35 MIR = $44.99

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148163
 Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
$24.99
No need for more expensive stuff here, we're not overclocking your computer and this stuff will fit the bill just nicely.  A 2gb upgrade, total 3gb system will be a VERY nice increase in speed.  Especially if you're on Vista.

Total before MIR: $214.97
Total after MIR: $149.97

Well, this one sounds great to me. TillDeath, do you supply any of this? If im going to give my money to anyone, id rather it be a fellow AH junkie :)

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 01:18:40 AM »
Rock on Serenity!!

:rock
 :rock :rock
 :rock :rock :rock
See Rule #6

Offline Toof

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »
Just to throw my .02 into the fray. I have a HP a1410n. I believe it would have most (if not all) of the same stock internals that you have at the moment. It came with an onboard Nvidia 6150LE...knew that wasn't going to float so I headed to Best Buy to see what I could kick up. Purchased a GeForce 7900GS and an Antec Tru-Power Trio while I was there. The PSU is 430W, but as long as my memory serves me correctly, it has 36A on the +12V rail. Which is plenty to run even today's higher end cards. The video card has been able to handle just about anything I can throw it's way. Runs Bioshock almost maxed out at a playable framerate, doesn't have much trouble with Fallout 3, has zero problems with AH2. I basically managed to turn my run of the mill HP computer into a "ghetto gaming" rig. Bumped up the RAM from 1gig to 2.5gigs somewhere in there as well. I have a 9800GT on the way along with a 22" widescreen, can't wait to see what this new card will do for my games. And if it struggles, it's time to order (screw Best Buy) a new PSU!

I would imagine the Antec PSU has dropped in price since I bought mine (around $90...at Best Buy, been probably about a year now). It has more plugs than most normal users would ever need. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that my new 9800GT will arrive tomorrow, and if it does, I'll give a prompt update on how the PSU/Card are working out.

edit: TilDeath, with you being in Atlanta (I'm in upstate SC), I may just hit you up at some point. Most likely upgrade I'll need in the near-ish future would be a new PSU. Could also stand to get some paired RAM. Do you own a store in Atlanta?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 03:38:13 PM by Toof »

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2008, 05:40:04 PM »
Toof... 9800GT is an awesome card. Make sure you get updated drivers. I think the drivers for vid card is 178.25 version. I may be wrong... Check Nvidea website.
See Rule #6

Offline Kimber1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2008, 08:33:15 PM »
Heres my new one............if I ever get a chance to get it in ;)

Its a BIG one  :D ...... thats a 81/2x11 sheet of paper its siiting on

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:39:33 PM by Kimber1 »
Doing Battle as Kimber10

Flying with the 65th FS "Fighting noodles"

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 10:14:44 PM »
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00757531&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3340227

Motherboard description      

* Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS A8M2N-LA
    * HP/Compaq name: NodusM3-GL8E

CPU/Processor    

* Socket: AM2
    * Supports AMD Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2, and Sempron processors

Front-side bus (FSB)    

* 2000 MegaTransfers/second

Chipset    

* GeForce 6150 LE chipset

BIOS features    

* Award brand system BIOS
    * Keyboard combination to used to enter BIOS: F1

Form factor    

* Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in

Memory    

* Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
    * Supports PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs
    * non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
    * Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB*

NOTE:    *Actual available memory may be less
Expansion slots    

* Three PCI
    * One PCI Express x16 graphics

Video graphics    

* Integrated

I googled your power supply and I believe you have a 300W power supply.  Your integrated video chipsets are never designed for 'real' gaming, especially the Geforce 6150LE.  Your basically going to need to replace your power supply for any video card that is going to be good for gaming.

The good news is 1) you have a PCI-E 16x slot and 2) you have open RAM slots.  If you really want to upgrade your computer, adding 2 x 1gb DDR2 sticks (total computer will be at 3gb) will really help in performance for the least amount of money.  2 x 1gb DDR2 sticks can run about $20 online.  A new power supply (a good brand, non-bargain crap from the back alleys of China) is going to run at least $50-60.  And a new video card is dependent on your budget as well.  I recommend you read this article and use what is recommended on your budget:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2064-2.html

Well, I lost my $300 budget to a lack-of-work for my parents. No biggie, it just means I have to buy my upgrade myself. I've got a VERY expensive summer coming up and I want to try to keep this new price down to as close to $100 as possible...

Based on this info, I just got back from BestBuy, and they have some 1GB RAM chips for about $20 each and an NVIDIA 8400GT for $74. Can I get away with purchasing and installing these WITHOUT having to buy a new PSU? Is the 8400 even worth $74? (I'm completely computer illeterate, so I have no clue what all the bells and whistles mean).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:21:33 PM by Serenity »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 11:34:04 PM »
You can order an 8500 from newegg for $45 after mail-in rebate.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2009, 12:21:12 AM »
You can order an 8500 from newegg for $45 after mail-in rebate.

Can my PSU handle it?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2009, 01:45:15 AM »
Considering the 8500 is not a very intensive card, I would guess your system can handle it. Way better than integrated, though!!

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2009, 01:58:24 AM »
Considering the 8500 is not a very intensive card, I would guess your system can handle it. Way better than integrated, though!!

Yeah, I was gonna just hold off for two more years and live with my 6150, but with the 4-5 games I own that barely run on it, the AH terrain updates, and the copy of Medal of Honor: Airborne I picked up for $20 (I bought the $20 box set of all the Medal of Honor PC games for their 10th anniversary) I figure I might as well. The more I run over it in my head, the more I'm looking at that $145 pack... I've got $100 to spare right now, and a $48 paycheck coming to me...