Author Topic: The new guy, day 5 AAR 11-12  (Read 2082 times)

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
The new guy, day 5 AAR 11-12
« on: November 12, 2008, 01:36:08 PM »
Morning Report

Once again I was at Tank Town. The day after my first Titanic Tuesday, I'd learned a lot of lessons the night before about Situational Awareness. I died more than any other day during Titanic Tuesday and I was looking for some revenge and hopefully a little more fair fight.

I began the day in my Hurricane IIC as usual and moved north over TT. I saw an F4 and a 109 ahead and moved in to engage. I had altitude, so I used a shallow dive to pick up enough speed to close in on the 109 from above and behind. It performed a bank dive to my right and I was forced out of the attack. I leveled off and chased after the F4. Despite moving at high speed, the F4 managed to continue to pull distance. I broke off at 1000+ to chase a Spitfire which had flown under me during the chase. I sacrificed some altitude for speed and closed on the Spitfire. I fired at >400 over his shoulder and he broke. I was lining him up for a kill when the F4 bounced me. My tail came off and I hit the ground.

My next two sorties had similar results. Consecutive deaths without kills or assists of my own.

As the afternoon progressed, my friendlies slowly disappeared and I found myself as the only Knight flying over TT. I moved north and found a group of rooks and bishops dogfighting. 6 bishes versus 3 or 4 rooks. I dove into the fight and picked off one of the two Bishop Spitfires chasing a Rook F6. The Spitfire probably never saw me, as he made no effort to evade. I took his tail off and got out of there as a P-51 dove on me. I weaved over the ocean and forced an overshoot. I lifted my nose and put shots into the Pony's underside as he passed over and must have gotten lucky as he immedietly blew up. I climbed and performed a standard loop as a 109 tried to zoom me. He passed by behind and below me and tried to pull into a banking turn as I came out of the loop and blew his wing away with a VERY lucky shot from 500.

I was then chased out of the area by a 190 and a zooming Typhoon. On my way home I spotted a P-47 off my port wing at about 1.5 moving parallel. I moved his way and he tried to turn into me for a headon with those 8 machine guns. I Split-S and went into a standard bank turn. I watched as the P-47 volleyed off rockets, probably lightening his wings up but I was already behind him. I fired bursts at <400 and <200 and took off half his wing. He wobbeled and continued to fly, so I fired again and he spun into the ground.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7861/4mkillsja4.png

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: The new guy, day 5 AAR 11-12
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:05:08 PM »
I enjoy reading your stories, but due to an exceptionally quick understanding on how the game works and a learning curve 100 times quicker than the average joe, it makes me wonder if you've really only been playing for only five days or you're somebody else trying to make a new name for them self.

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »
Really, the only difference between this and other air sims I've played is gunnery. Where as I did stunts and such in other games, AH is a combat sim.  :D And all gunnery requires is an understanding of ballistics.

Been flying over TT all day.. come shoot me down. You'll see I'm really not that good.  :D

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 02:12:59 PM »
if it smells like $%#@,.....and it looks like $^%,....and it lays there like *&%$,....it sticks to the bottom of your shoe like $#@^.........it probably is $%#@.......attaboy formation topside 16:30. :D
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
Not meaning this in a questioning way Skytiger, just curious: what other sims did you fly before this one? I do agree that you're catching on perhaps 100x faster than most new players, most of whom come in with a name like 32097834, spend 5 days shooting at targets 4k away, then finally learn about the LA-7 and begin their HO phase (approximately 6 months worth).

I flew tons of combat flight sims before AH, but I was completely clueless for at least a month in this game. And for the record, I don't care whether you're a new guy, a fake new guy, a transexual, or a curtain. You write some damn good AAR's and I enjoy reading them.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »
Not meaning this in a questioning way Skytiger, just curious: what other sims did you fly before this one? I do agree that you're catching on perhaps 100x faster than most new players, most of whom come in with a name like 32097834, spend 5 days shooting at targets 4k away, then finally learn about the LA-7 and begin their HO phase (approximately 6 months worth).

I flew tons of combat flight sims before AH, but I was completely clueless for at least a month in this game. And for the record, I don't care whether you're a new guy, a fake new guy, a transexual, or a curtain. You write some damn good AAR's and I enjoy reading them.

Post of the day, that cracked me up.  :lol :lol :cry :rofl :rofl

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 02:27:05 PM »

I mostly used to play some sort of WWII airshow game on my uncle's computer back in the late 90s. My aunt was sick for about a year with cancer and we were always visiting, so I got several hours to play each night.

I've also played a game called IL2 or something like that, but did non-combat. I downloaded some mods for it that gave some canyons and hoops and stuff to fly through.

Honestly, this is my first sim that I've been firing guns. Other than the Battlefield Series, but that isn't really a sim, it's very unrealistic.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »
don't worry about the haters skytiger,   it is just unusual for someone to come here to the bbs and spend the time to write an in depth AAR about how exhilarating AH is.  They are too accustomed to the whines, I quit tantrum threads, to care.

If you feel the need to share your experiences continue to do so but ignore the love muffines!

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 02:53:40 PM »
See Rule #5
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:58:06 PM by Skuzzy »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 03:01:45 PM »
See Rule #5

You know, I'm getting really tired of people trying to make fun of me or call me a liar. Either come right out and call me a liar or shut the mask up already. Jesus this is getting old. I gotta say, for as much fun as AHII seems to be, the community is turning out to half about 50% amazinhunks in it.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:58:25 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »
See Rule #5
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:58:58 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 03:09:09 PM »
What's with the infatuation with discrediting this guy?  You want to know why the good old days of friendly AAR reports in the forum are gone? Just look above.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline comet61

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »
No worries SkyTiger....not everyone begins as total dolts. Some folks actually catch on quick or just use common sense as far as the game allows us to. I remember my 1st week ever on AHII I was in an Osti and in one battle I had 11 kills. Never could repeat that feat since then. However, I have (and still do) go up in fighters (P47's & N1K's) and donate my deaths for others to rack up scores...unintentionally of course.  :uhoh But I have improved. Slower than others maybe, but getting there. Ignore those that are skeptical of your accomplishments so far, it means nothing and really doesn't affect your gameplay.

I still visit the Training Arena and recently been taking advantage of the Dueling arena as well. The learning curve is great, but some folks can handle that better than others. Just have fun!!

Comet61

666th Barbarians FG

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »
Snipped for nuptiness

Some read help files, learn the basics offline.....and then some DL and click start...I'm guessing your in the later category.

Skytiger keep em coming... AARs make for good reading.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:18:39 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 03:18:21 PM »
Frankly, I'm not much bothered if this is a new guy or not - I find the AAR's to be interesting to read - and they provide a perspective from someone elses point of view.

Keep em going Skytiger, and I look forward to either winging with ya, or fighting against ya (win or lose - and yes, I generally lose  :D)

<S>

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.