Author Topic: Thoughts for a different type of "Event"...  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
Re: Thoughts for a different type of "Event"...
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 03:19:14 PM »
OK, well with that we have hit our first snag.

The SEA is only available for use under direct supervision of the CM team.

In other words, a CM must be in the arena at all times.

It sounds like your event would be a 24 hour thing, yes?

If that is the case, then this event might work better in the AvA.

~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »
Actually I was thinking of a 2-3 hour option vs "titanic tuesday" simply as an alternative

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »
That Is a better way to go for the SEA.

USMC/71sqn

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 05:56:52 PM »
I'm curious just how many people have any actual interest in an alternative. Not the structured FSO type (or AVA). My primary thought initially rested on no heavies, no formations and no massive wirble onslaughts. Out of that came the thought that if you have limited availability on certain planes then bombing that airfield is the equivalent of the old "spit factory" run. Add a defined capture target and you dont have the roll the edge of the map to win. Side balancing is the biggest potential problem and I'm not sure how you handle that....but with la-7's, nikki's and spits I think there is a natural draw to each side...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 10:18:15 PM »
Snap,

I will have a few other people come over here and put in their thoughts.

This is going to become a big thread real quick. ;)
USMC/71sqn

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »
If your squad had any historical significance, you have to register that squad for it's actual side, and register the planes that squad flew.

Example with my squad:

40th FS "Fight`n Red Devils"

Flew for the US

Flew:

P-39
P-47D25
P-51D

In return, my squad can only fly those 3 planes.

If your squad doesn't have any historical significance, you can ask to be on a certain side, and hope you are on that side depending on the numbers and what not....
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Newman5

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »
I like this idea, I think it would be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

Give it a few test runs, and see if we all couldn't make something out of it.  I'm in.
"Hello, Newman."

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 10:50:34 PM »
Humble, probably the most flexible and unregulated event we currently have that could test this model would be SNS.

Sunday Night Scramble.  Targeted for the US Sunday Night Prime Time, we put together an alternative to the Main Arena during peak Sunday hours.

Several players are involved in bringing ideas forward, I'm working with them now to bring their ideas to the table.  I think we might be able to try it.

I've always liked the old Air Warrior style of map, where you had Spit factories, and such.  The bomber bases could be moved rearward, to prevent constant porking, the "good" planes could be a specific airfield that could be a primary target.  The players would have to protect the assets they wanted to keep, while progressing the fight. Take out the only field with Niks and you lose the Niks, take out the B17 "factory" or airfield, and you get no B17s until the factory rebuilds.  Perhaps a 3 hour event with a 1 hour downtime, pop the BH and you lose the B17s or whatever heavy bomber is assigned for an hour. 

There is some potential here.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 10:38:49 AM »
This is an idea that has a lot of potential. I like it and will follow along on the idea as it develops. 

Good thinking Snap!
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 02:36:23 PM »
I'm curious how it would play out tactically with experienced pilots on a "level" playing field without the historical restrictions, especially in the 3 sided environment. I'd agree that historical squads would and should be able to fly the appropriate ride when possible but also expect them to switch sides etc as per FSO if this is squad based. I'm actually curious how the various sides would/will match up tactically. How does the tremendous range of the nikki/ki-61/zeke counter the relatively short legs of the spit XVI or the la-7 for example. Does the tremendous speed and defensive firepower of the Ki-67 make up for the limited payload? How important is the air to ground capability of the spit XVI or nikki vs the less capable la-7/5. What would the match up look like between the Luftwaffe and the Japanese or americans and russians just to name a few...

Sunday would work fine, I just thought of tuesday as a way to create an option for those tired of the big LWA.

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 06:29:01 PM »
Anything that encourages a fight and not the usual slpit -S followed by a run to the ack/horde gets my vote, sooner something like this starts the better :aok
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c