Author Topic: You don't NEED a gun simplified.  (Read 4216 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: You don't NEED a gun simplified.
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2008, 09:45:40 PM »
i was being a dork. i think guns are great, i was just looking at MTNMAN's wishing i could do that.

That particular one is a rifle I built from a "kit".  Not a mostly-done kit, but one where I got a picture-plan, and a bunch of parts that could be used to build the rifle I wanted.  I had to file-shape and polish the metal parts, inlet the barrel and all the parts etc.  It took me over 300 hours and I spread that out over about 14 months.  I could do it now in much less time, but I was scared of screwing it up.  I spent a lot of time looking at it in the corner and thinking "Hmm, which part comes next, and exactly how do I get it to fit right?"  It's a copy of a museum piece, an "early" Hawken's full-stock.  The original was a percussion, but I built mine with a flintlock on it.  I needed it to be a flintlock because I wanted it to have fast, reliable ignition, and I don't trust those new-fangled high-tech pre-cussion thingies.  I'd rather stick with the old reliable rock-knocker.  I've been shooting flinters for over 15 years, and in the field I'd never trust a percussion gun like I do a quality flintlock.

In contrast, my British Brown Bess was a more "normal" kit.  I had to sand it, finish it, brown the metal parts, and assemble it.  About 30 hours.  Maybe less.

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2008, 04:20:15 AM »
Theres quite a few blackpoweder shooters at the range I shoot at mtnman :) - many of them hunt with them too.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2008, 04:47:25 AM »
Here's another one I built.  I bought the barrel, and built everything else from scratch.  I have a coal forge, and used that for a lot of the parts.  The barrel is 24" long, weighs 40#.  The carriage weighs another 38#.  It fires a 1" diameter, roughly 1/4# ball.  Not terribly accurate, but I can usually hit a garbage can at 200 yards.  It'll put a hole on a tree you can put your fist in at that range.  Recoil will drive it back over three feet on mowed grass.

I haven't tried hunting with it yet.  I've also found 10 .50 cal balls makes an interesting load.

They don't let me use it at the range, so I'm limited to the back yard (I live in the country).  The first time I shot it in the yard, I literally rattled dishes in my neighbors cabinets 1/4 mile away, and they thought my propane tank had exploded...

I do mention home protection at times as a way to justify purchases...  I have the biggest gun on the block, hehe!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 04:48:56 AM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2008, 08:17:52 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I do mention home protection at times as a way to justify purchases...  I have the biggest gun on the block, hehe!

Hee hee == can see it now.

"Mr Robber, can you move just a little to the right....back a bit....GREAT. Now smile and watch for the flash...."
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »
Hee hee == can see it now.

"Mr Robber, can you move just a little to the right....back a bit....GREAT. Now smile and watch for the flash...."

:rofl
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2008, 10:20:54 AM »
Please please tell me you're not thats stupid?

Ok, you are. Here's a couple of clues, google Miss Teen South Carolina "speech", and then google Chinese revolution. Come back to me with the stunning results.

"Thats stupid"? :rofl Whats ams I's supposeds tos googles everythings thats comes outs of yours mouths?

I donts much care abouts yours wells thoughts outs posts, nots thats you haves any, sos whats dos yous thinks I feels abouts yours silly ones liners ones?

What could Miss Teen Carolina say that "coulds" shock me? Ive been a hunter and shooter since I was 8yo and a Policeman in a blood soaked city, with strict gun control, for almost 25 years?

Yaknow Vulcan, wherever your from. Some people are so far behind in the race they think they are ahead. And the worst part about it is they often think they are so slick and smart. So go ahead baby, tell me all about gun control, crime, and life itsownself. Cause I dont know a thing about it. :P
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2008, 02:23:02 PM »
That particular one is a rifle I built from a "kit".  Not a mostly-done kit, but one where I got a picture-plan, and a bunch of parts that could be used to build the rifle I wanted.  I had to file-shape and polish the metal parts, inlet the barrel and all the parts etc.  It took me over 300 hours and I spread that out over about 14 months.  I could do it now in much less time, but I was scared of screwing it up.  I spent a lot of time looking at it in the corner and thinking "Hmm, which part comes next, and exactly how do I get it to fit right?"  It's a copy of a museum piece, an "early" Hawken's full-stock.  The original was a percussion, but I built mine with a flintlock on it.  I needed it to be a flintlock because I wanted it to have fast, reliable ignition, and I don't trust those new-fangled high-tech pre-cussion thingies.  I'd rather stick with the old reliable rock-knocker.  I've been shooting flinters for over 15 years, and in the field I'd never trust a percussion gun like I do a quality flintlock.

In contrast, my British Brown Bess was a more "normal" kit.  I had to sand it, finish it, brown the metal parts, and assemble it.  About 30 hours.  Maybe less.

An art form! Have to settle for hazel bows and diving knives over here.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2008, 02:26:28 PM »
I donts much care abouts yours wells thoughts outs posts, nots thats you haves any, sos whats dos yous thinks I feels abouts yours silly ones liners ones?

cue theme from deliverance....

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2008, 08:27:01 PM »
cue theme from deliverance....

There he goes again. MR. Spock with a brain anuerism.

Blackpowder is just way to much fun. Get into it and you night never shoot a rifle again. It appeals to me the way bowhunting does. One shot, one kill. But even spinning metal with it is a hoot. I used to shoot with some guys right out of the 1700s flint and all. They wanted me to join up but just no time. Shooting is even more fun when you go back 200 to 300 years.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
There he goes again. MR. Spock with a brain anuerism.

I'm not the one that sounds like I just stepped off a Jerry Springer Hillbilly special.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2008, 02:27:55 AM »
See Rule #6

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2008, 04:56:16 AM »

An art form! Have to settle for hazel bows...

Quite the art form there too!

I've got a small garbage can in my garage full of chert and obsidian for knapping my own points.  I'm not as skilled as the average Neanderthal, but it sure is fun!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 04:57:57 AM by mtnman »
MtnMan

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2008, 07:59:30 AM »
Incorrect. The thing with comparing crime rates is quite often the worse the true crime rate the lower the reported crimes, and in countries with low crime rates there is a higher rate of reporting for more minor offences.

After a great a few great Criminal Justice courses I have to concur about this.  There sometimes exists very large discrepancies between reported crime rates and actual crime rates.  The differences in statistics can also simply occur in how the crimes that are reported are handled or categorized.

Interesting subject to disscuss none-the-less.

::edit:: typo
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:08:49 AM by bongaroo »
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2008, 08:42:41 AM »
Incorrect. The thing with comparing crime rates is quite often the worse the true crime rate the lower the reported crimes, and in countries with low crime rates there is a higher rate of reporting for more minor offences.

He finally bends his brow and he comes up with this. Have you lost your mind? They teach you this in school?

You think if somebody is shot, killed, raped, robbed,burgled, theft, they aren't going to report it in high crime areas? People can pick up their cell phones and make reports on the phone now days. My hands go numb from all the reports I write.

If theres any magic show going on its down at a Police stats office where they can go <poof> and turn water into wine.

I'm not the one that sounds like I just stepped off a Jerry Springer Hillbilly special.

Please please tell me you're not thats stupid?

Look again sweetie.
offences
:lol

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2008, 09:21:53 AM »

He finally bends his brow and he comes up with this. Have you lost your mind? They teach you this in school?

You think if somebody is shot, killed, raped, robbed,burgled, theft, they aren't going to report it in high crime areas? People can pick up their cell phones and make reports on the phone now days. My hands go numb from all the reports I write.

If theres any magic show going on its down at a Police stats office where they can go <poof> and turn water into wine.

Look again sweetie. ?  :lol

Wow.  Your the pinnacle of civil debate, aren't you?

If our crime reporting is so infalliable than why would we employ two different statistical methods?  The UCR and the NCVS?

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/html/web/appendices/07-append04.html

Rich46yo, your arguments smack of elitism.

Vulcan, you aren't helping with this crap either.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace