Author Topic: Skid break manuever  (Read 1126 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: Skid break manuever
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 08:04:28 PM »
thats whats usually referred to as a "rudder slap", he's using the rudder as an air brake. Basically he's cross controlling the plane to slow it down. totally different animal then what is described in the Utube clip.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 04:59:13 AM »
yenny blukitty is a master at reversals especially the rudder slap, the manouver you posted on youtube can be done in ah quite easily, i managed to do it quite frequently back when i was flying the 51d, its a great trick but takes some time to learn and some good timming.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:02:54 AM by evenhaim »
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 05:05:37 AM »
Ahhh so thats where mane went, why the sex/name change?

Maybe he felt it was time to get in touch with his feminine side *shrug*

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 05:42:38 AM »
Airbraking only with the rudder works with tail heavy planes prone to misbehavior, like the hogs, mossie, 152.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NOI9E6IG
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 05:48:59 AM »
It almost looks like the "flat plate" move that dTango showed in another thread. Except instead of going right to left, he goes up then down before he unloads the wings. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 06:07:44 AM »
you pull stick back, then what? i couldnt understand the guy in Dogfights  :mad:
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 07:12:31 AM »
Watch it in external views with trails on, this is just a good rolling scissors with some excellent rudder work. He's  cross controlling at one point which gives you the "skid" but its more just moving the lift vector and slowing the plane down a bit then anything else. Very little if any flight path departure here and certainly nothing like either the utube clip or WW's pony move...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 07:15:27 AM »
you pull stick back, then what? i couldnt understand the guy in Dogfights  :mad:

I am no expert in ACM by any stretch of the imagination.  I too could not figure out what the guy was saying and had to go back and watch it several times.  But this is what I gathered from viewing step-by-step.  He had already rolled the plane 90 degrees.  From there, yanked back on the stick, then forced full rudder toward the downside wing.  I could not exactly determine what he meant by easing off on the pressure.  I assume he meant on the stick.  I guess (and this is a guess) roll 90 degrees, back off throttle, yank back on stick, ease foward on stick to release pressure, and then hard rudder to the ground side.  Of course, all this in a snap of a second.

Those of you with the ACM knowhow--- is that a correct step-by-step?  I would certainly like to learn the move, but no need in practicing something that is not right.  I assume the key is to figure out exactly when and how much throttle to cut.  From the pilot's statement, it would seem the stick and rudder movements are to the extreme.  The key then has to be (in my mind) the throttle management to make this work.

Anyone out there that can detail it for us?
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 08:19:39 AM »
Maybe he felt it was time to get in touch with his feminine side *shrug*

ack-ack

Honestly I have no idea where the idea blukitty is manetmp comes from.  I've flown with blukitty, winged up, and talked with her plenty of times.  She's a class act even when I fly against her.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »
That's basically an abreviated snap-roll.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 05:36:31 AM »
I am no expert in ACM by any stretch of the imagination.  I too could not figure out what the guy was saying and had to go back and watch it several times.  But this is what I gathered from viewing step-by-step.  He had already rolled the plane 90 degrees.  From there, yanked back on the stick, then forced full rudder toward the downside wing.  I could not exactly determine what he meant by easing off on the pressure.  I assume he meant on the stick.  I guess (and this is a guess) roll 90 degrees, back off throttle, yank back on stick, ease foward on stick to release pressure, and then hard rudder to the ground side.  Of course, all this in a snap of a second.

Those of you with the ACM knowhow--- is that a correct step-by-step?  I would certainly like to learn the move, but no need in practicing something that is not right.  I assume the key is to figure out exactly when and how much throttle to cut.  From the pilot's statement, it would seem the stick and rudder movements are to the extreme.  The key then has to be (in my mind) the throttle management to make this work.

Anyone out there that can detail it for us?

yes, would be nice as this is the first time I see a reversal like that. I'd also like to know about which planes can pull it succesfully...

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 06:22:10 AM »
RAM, Dtango has something similar documented in a thread.. I can't recall the title, but it's with the P51D and should be in the aircraft forum.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 07:09:23 AM »
thanks, moot, will do a search to see if I find it

[edit] found it, amazing read, and pretty good clips too. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,222522.0.html
When I arrive home this evening I'll try to practice it in a Pony and then see if it can be reproduced in 109s/190s. it seems to require a lot of practice, very good timing, and a pretty big altitude cushion to recover controled fight after doing it...but as a last-ditch desperate move to force an overshoot and win some time, this one seems the most amazing I've ever witnessed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:01:02 AM by RAM »