Author Topic: Nuke the post counter.  (Read 431 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Nuke the post counter.
« on: November 20, 2008, 07:03:36 PM »
I can make a pretty long list on why it's a bad thing for users on the forums to have a post counter.  So lets skip right to the point:

Is there any good to having a post counter for users on the forums?

I'll start with the only reason I can think of, which is false more often than not.  The post counter makes it obvious, to a new member, of other members who have been around and posting on the forums for a while ("experienced").

Like I said, this proves false more often than not.  Those who have been around on these or other forums know what I speak of.  People who have high post counts but aren't by any means wiser than half the people on here.  IE: Trolls who would rather have another laugh today at somoene else's expence.  People who played and were familiar with the game four years ago but still post on the forums every day.  People who prefer to post in quantity rather than quality.  As I said in my first sentence, the cons greatly outnumber the pros... if there are any pros at all to this question.

In closing for my wish of removing the post counters on the forums, if nothing else, it will encourage members to value greater the quality one posts with, rather than the quantity.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Nuke the post counter.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:59:44 PM »
Some of us with high counts don't troll and try to be constructive.  I'd say most of those in the category you place high post count posters are mostly O'Club focused.

Am I wiser?  I don't think so.

I do think I know more about the game and about WWII history than most posters here.  Obviously guys like Widewing and Guppy know far, far more than I do, but I do know quite a bit and I try to be helpful with it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:02:54 AM »
LOL @ Copper Member  :rofl

;)

All kidding aside, I don't care. I don't think it would hurt in any way to remove that post count from the threads.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 03:11:52 AM »
im new to the forums not new to the game, and if the post count is what you're concerned about then you should be "nuked" from the forums, post when you have something constructive or funny to say. If you spam and say stupid things and you're concerned about getting more posts than you're just a waste of a member, and you've missed the whole idea of what this forum is about.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:09:08 AM »

;)

All kidding aside, I don't care. I don't think it would hurt in any way to remove that post count from the threads.

lol.  I could of sworn I registered back in like '99 or '00, but when I came back this year I could'nt find it.  I was lucky enough to remember my ingame account info though.

So very much in this game has changed though since the last time I was active.  Tanks, more bombers galore, improved models all around, this fuzzy stuff on the ground (how long ago did they upgrade the terrain with trees and farm houses?).  Love the P-39 and P-40 additions, I remember a time it used to be just the P-51B, P-51D and P-38L.  Its nice to have a pistol now when you bail out too.  Oh and when were towns added next to the airfield to capture?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »
Updated terrain occurred about 1 1/2 years ago.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 03:03:37 PM »

;)

That made my day. :D
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 03:04:26 AM »
im new to the forums not new to the game, and if the post count is what you're concerned about then you should be "nuked" from the forums, post when you have something constructive or funny to say. If you spam and say stupid things and you're concerned about getting more posts than you're just a waste of a member, and you've missed the whole idea of what this forum is about.

Look at guys like Glock89. I kind of agree with this. It does get rather annoying to have your post flooded with kids who only care about upping their post count. People get so distracted bashing them, whatever the important idea that started it all was gets forgotten amid the squeaker-hunting.

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 12:34:40 AM »
I can make a pretty long list on why it's a bad thing for users on the forums to have a post counter.  So lets skip right to the point:

Is there any good to having a post counter for users on the forums?

I'll start with the only reason I can think of, which is false more often than not.  The post counter makes it obvious, to a new member, of other members who have been around and posting on the forums for a while ("experienced").

Like I said, this proves false more often than not.  Those who have been around on these or other forums know what I speak of.  People who have high post counts but aren't by any means wiser than half the people on here.  IE: Trolls who would rather have another laugh today at somoene else's expence.  People who played and were familiar with the game four years ago but still post on the forums every day.  People who prefer to post in quantity rather than quality.  As I said in my first sentence, the cons greatly outnumber the pros... if there are any pros at all to this question.

In closing for my wish of removing the post counters on the forums, if nothing else, it will encourage members to value greater the quality one posts with, rather than the quantity.
not listening to you, you have only posted 145 posts :p

(how bout dis happens to just one person, im thinking of someone that trolls everything, his name starts with g ends with 9, dis should be direced toward him.
The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1