Author Topic: Explosives  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Explosives
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 07:03:52 PM »
No idea what that is, been out since '81. Is that an army or marine thing?
If only there was a world wide information network where one could type something like "11C" into a search engine and find an instant answer  ;)

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 04:24:58 AM »
ok, ya have 2 bombs of equal size, and both filled with the equal amout of sheep pellets,...... One is dropped from a p-47 d40, doin say 288 mph, (for you math geeks)....the other is dropped by a f/a 18, doing 702.5 mph ( yeah we all know) which one will scatter pellets with more force over a larger distance? :huh
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 05:39:43 AM »
If only there was a world wide information network where one could type something like "11C" into a search engine and find an instant answer  ;)

Murdr my generation looks peole in the eye and asks them a direct question. :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 05:41:58 AM »
To put this in perspective...

500lb object impacting at 288mph=1,387,320 joules

500lb object impacting at 702.5mph=8,254,378 joules

200lbs of TNT detonating = 418,400,000 joules
That's over 50 times the energy from a 500lb 702mph impact!

ok, ya have 2 bombs of equal size, and both filled with the equal amout of sheep pellets,...... One is dropped from a p-47 d40, doin say 288 mph, (for you math geeks)....the other is dropped by a f/a 18, doing 702.5 mph ( yeah we all know) which one will scatter pellets with more force over a larger distance? :huh

What is the altitude it is being dropped from?  What is the terminal velocity of the bomb?  Dropped from high enough, each could impact at a similar speed and trajectory (eg. the results would be a draw).

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:43:51 AM by Murdr »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 05:42:29 AM »
Murdr my generation looks peole in the eye and asks them a direct question. :salute
In the eye?  I don't even own a webcam  :uhoh

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 05:51:07 AM »
In the eye?  I don't even own a webcam  :uhoh

I guess I aint going to find out then. Which means you weren't in USAF. Which means you are unable to make educated damn guesses, "which turned out to be right", about 500lb air dropped bombs cause you were never around them, or, the aircraft that dropped them.

Are we in concurrence?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 06:15:53 AM »
I see a trend here...Too lazy to click links to information that someone else looked up on the topic and bothered to post.  You would rather type 100 words in protest, than type 3 characters into google and get the info yourself.

Your guess was rather vauge
but I'm not sure if the chemical mix causes a bigger blast but my guess would be yes.
As it's been shown, the quantity of explosive content has reduced as the explosive power has increased.  How that qualifies as "right", I'm not sure.

What I am sure of is the reason AKAK has taken to calling you Dick.

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 10:49:20 AM »
whatsa "joules? heheh I might as well lern something too :) :rock
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »

What I am sure of is the reason AKAK has taken to calling you Dick.

:rofl :aok
See Rule #4

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »
whatsa "joules? heheh I might as well lern something too :) :rock

joule - unit of work or energy in the International System of Units (SI); it is equal to the work done by a force of one newton acting through one metre. Named in honour of the English physicist James Prescott Joule, it equals 107 ergs, or approximately 0.7377 foot-pounds. In electrical terms, the joule equals one watt-second—i.e., the energy released in one second by a current of one ampere through a resistance of one ohm.

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 12:34:29 PM »
Ok, thanks, but that might be a tad deep for ol klink,.....But I got the idea <S> :O

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
Which means you weren't in USAF. Which means you are unable to make educated damn guesses
As indicated by my MOS (that's Military Occupation Specialty code for those unable to use a search engine) I have worked with HE (:rolleyes High Exposive) weapons, and as also indicated previously, I can read and look stuff up too   :uhoh 

I will be sure to pass along to my Naval aviation friends, and IAF friend that they are also unable to make educated guesses about such things since they were not in the USAF  :huh

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 10:23:19 PM »
What were you thinking murdr? Don't you know the flyboys have all the right answers?
What I find funny around here is the Navy guys having trouble landing at Peterson AFB. The runway doesn't move so they have trouble hitting it. :D

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »
As indicated by my MOS (that's Military Occupation Specialty code for those unable to use a search engine) I have worked with HE (:rolleyes High Exposive) weapons, and as also indicated previously, I can read and look stuff up too   :uhoh 

I will be sure to pass along to my Naval aviation friends, and IAF friend that they are also unable to make educated guesses about such things since they were not in the USAF  :huh

M,
 Your preaching to the choir,they cant hear they're too busy singing!     :o

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2008, 07:11:06 AM »
3  m.o.s.'s -in 4 yrs of active service in the united states marine corps. (1833/1316/2142)we didnt think alot of navy or airforce pileits, until there isn't any Marine air around.  :lol :uhoh uncle was f-4 phantom pilot(usaf), 2 other brothers (blood) served in the crotch" (thats marine corps) for those that served in the sissy services.Apache helo's justcame out back then for the army., they were laughable, compared to our cobras. ect ect ect. Marine pilots "hang it out there". for their ground marines. :rock