Author Topic: Reformat Error  (Read 298 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Reformat Error
« on: November 20, 2008, 11:57:24 PM »
Well currently we have an old Dell Dimension 4600 and it has been a pain (obviously), and I plan to put Win XP Pro on it.  However I have a slight problem, every time I attempt to delete XP Home/install XP Pro the Keyboard fails.  I can get the the screen where I have the option to Delete the current XP Home, but every time I hit the 'Down Arrow' or any key for that matter, nothing works.  I have tried a different Keyboard to no avail.  They are both PS/2 Keyboards, in fact the one being used is the Dell issued one.
The keyboard works fine on all other screens, BIOS, start-up and Windows.
Any one have any ideas?  It is rather frustrating, and Google is just pointless for me since I can't think of what to Google. :confused:
Appreciate any help.

:salute
  X
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Re: Reformat Error
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:14:53 AM »
Use a Win98 Boot Disk that has FDISK on it.  Boot with the disk then run FDISK.EXE delete the partitions then crate a new one. Now go into your BIOS and have your DVD/CD be the default first drive. Put in your XP Disk and reboot system.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 06:57:40 AM »
Yep, thats one way.

Another would be to download the disk utility's for the kind of hard drive in there. IE WD, Seagate, all have downloadable Hard drive utility's. Burn it to CD, boot with that, use it to repartition, reformat.

Then your back to boot from XP install disk again.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:16:57 AM »
Thanks for that info Ghosth, I'm sure that will help me resolve the issue of getting rid of this useless second partition.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:39:48 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  Found out though that the Dell didn't like the DVD Drive I had put in there.  I Took out the old CD drive and put in another DVD Drive a while back, had to unplug it and all is well. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"