Author Topic: what shots do you go for?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
Re: what shots do you go for?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2008, 05:18:40 PM »
I tend to aim for the cockpit more than anything, the best shot realy is under the belly, because you are always going to eithet blow them up or set them on fire. Since I fly the G6 alot, I try and take the historical side of things (Erich Hartmann) and don't fire untill D200 or less, and it realy just makes the plane do some funny things. :)
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »
Steve, what's your averge rounds per kill w/ the 50 cals?

Don't know about Steve but I, on average use less than 100 rounds per kill.  I average around 7 kills per sortie and I find myself usually landing from lack of fuel rather than lack of bullets.  An average sortie will see me returning to base with around half of my ammo load (I take the full 2000 round load out).  Last week I had a 12 kill sortie and I had over 1000 .50 caliber rounds and 150 cannon rounds (forgot to switch from DTs to cannon) remaining. 

On the other hand, there have been some flights were I've only gotten one or two kills and have just a few hundred rounds remaining but on average, I usually end up with quite a few rounds left over. 

At least to me, it shows that when I hit an area like the wing root or tail section (the two places I aim for) and hit with a burst at close range (I tend to fire at 400yds or closer) I tend to kill the target with that burst.  However, if I fire at longer ranges (600yrds+) I tend to waste more bullets than anything else and it usually takes more ammo for me to down the target.  I also don't have to worry my pretty little head about convergence issues, so all of my bursts hit for maximum impact.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:45:45 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2008, 07:57:01 PM »
Same with my D9, I usually get to about 10, w/ 200-250 cannons left but only enough fuel for RTB.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2008, 10:30:27 AM »
Don't know about Steve but I, on average use less than 100 rounds per kill.  I average around 7 kills per sortie and I find myself usually landing from lack of fuel rather than lack of bullets.  An average sortie will see me returning to base with around half of my ammo load (I take the full 2000 round load out).  Last week I had a 12 kill sortie and I had over 1000 .50 caliber rounds and 150 cannon rounds (forgot to switch from DTs to cannon) remaining. 

On the other hand, there have been some flights were I've only gotten one or two kills and have just a few hundred rounds remaining but on average, I usually end up with quite a few rounds left over. 

At least to me, it shows that when I hit an area like the wing root or tail section (the two places I aim for) and hit with a burst at close range (I tend to fire at 400yds or closer) I tend to kill the target with that burst.  However, if I fire at longer ranges (600yrds+) I tend to waste more bullets than anything else and it usually takes more ammo for me to down the target.  I also don't have to worry my pretty little head about convergence issues, so all of my bursts hit for maximum impact.

ack-ack
As a matter of Interest here, I find it  very Interesting in the different shooting styles of most allied crates compared to Axis ones, Do you fire from around d400 purely due to the nose mounted weapons? Or would you fire from the same distance in a wing mounted Aircraft?
As I fly the K4 almost exclusively, I don't have the luxury of d400 unless it's in a climb or a con straight and level and so I have to close the gap and it's almost always in a cross shot or very rarely a shot on thier six.  And do 50's allow you the opportunity to place your shots from d400?
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »
As a matter of Interest here, I find it  very Interesting in the different shooting styles of most allied crates compared to Axis ones, Do you fire from around d400 purely due to the nose mounted weapons? Or would you fire from the same distance in a wing mounted Aircraft?
As I fly the K4 almost exclusively, I don't have the luxury of d400 unless it's in a climb or a con straight and level and so I have to close the gap and it's almost always in a cross shot or very rarely a shot on thier six.  And do 50's allow you the opportunity to place your shots from d400?

Yes they do. In the 38 you can "place" them even further out.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2008, 12:20:52 PM »
I aim right for the left front gear.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2008, 12:39:52 PM »
Same with my D9, I usually get to about 10, w/ 200-250 cannons left but only enough fuel for RTB.

7 kills per sortie, 10 kills per sortie.  You guys  are far too uber for me.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2008, 12:46:37 PM »
I am ultra-uber. I get 5 deaths to the kill. My awards include the Honorary Ewe and the Lambs Wool Loincloth.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:48:13 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2008, 12:50:14 PM »
If you watch most my film, I'm always out of fuel by 10 kills=/ but still got 200-250 cannon rounds left. I think A LOT of it have to do w/ resisting to firing early. I know I've miss a few kill by not firing at 400 yards but I also surely know waiting that one extra second then open it up is a lot more secure.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2008, 12:54:36 PM »
If you watch most my film, I'm always out of fuel by 10 kills=/ but still got 200-250 cannon rounds left. I think A LOT of it have to do w/ resisting to firing early. I know I've miss a few kill by not firing at 400 yards but I also surely know waiting that one extra second then open it up is a lot more secure.

Hey, like I said... at 10 kills per sortie, you are way out of my league.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »
Shh Steve=p you 51 flyer you! go FW ! go LW !! They r more fun! It's like a flying coffin! I dunno I stop flyin for score though so I never care if I land anymore. I try too sometime but I found myself enjoying TT in my ubah new found Yak-9T. Though I do run to piss em noob 3-4 spits 16 that dive on my 190 from 15k! It just fun to run around in circle watching em firing from 800 yards out =p
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:58:46 PM by Yenny »
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2008, 11:40:22 PM »
And do 50's allow you the opportunity to place your shots from d400?

Well, to be honest the P-38 allows me to place shots at 400yrds but yes, the guns on the P-38 are quite capable of letting you put rounds into the bogie at that range in a hard maneuvering fight.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2008, 12:01:57 AM »
BUFFs: wing roots with cannons; wing tips with mgs

Fighters: tail when dead 6, wing roots all others except HOs, canopy for HOers

Fight Like a Girl

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2008, 12:04:11 AM »
See Rule #6

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2008, 01:04:57 AM »
if it a spittie : wing

if it a jap plane: any part make it burst to flames

american : tail, they fall off so easily

german : if it 262 any part,   109: wing   190:tail

italian: white flag

russian: they have small planes so any part can do a lot of damage

The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1