Author Topic: what shots do you go for?  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Re: what shots do you go for?
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2008, 01:43:47 AM »
  And do 50's allow you the opportunity to place your shots from d400?

Ya, as long as it's not a dead six shot.. hard to see the canopy from dead six. My convergence is at 350.  I fire when the icon goes to 400. I think it's still greater than 400 when it switches... 599? Anyway, you can see from screenies I've posted in other threads that I often hit the canopy. 
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2008, 02:02:28 AM »
  I fire when the icon goes to 400. I think it's still greater than 400 when it switches... 599?

It's 499.

0 - 99 ~ d0
100 - 299 ~ d200
300 - 499 ~ d400
500 - 699 ~ d600
700 - 899 ~ d800

and so on
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2008, 02:06:38 AM »
It's 499.

0 - 99 ~ d0
100 - 299 ~ d200
300 - 499 ~ d400
500 - 699 ~ d600
700 - 899 ~ d800

and so on

ty

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2008, 08:28:49 AM »
Wow, I never realized the Allied crates give you that luxury, no wonder every man and his dog flies em. Interesting to hear from Steve (pony Driver) and Ack(38 driver) the same theme, I thought there might have been some difference between nose mounted and wing mounted guns. So the key to 50's is the Convergence I'm assuming? Unlike the tater were you only need a round or two, you boys will need a lot of shells hitting the right spot at the right time then I'm assuming? From my perspective it's confirmed that I can't afford to let an Allied driver get more than half a second guns on me, Just have to keep their nose pointed up and off a small angle.
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2008, 09:09:25 AM »
Pretty much any angled shot except dead six and "you're dead" 12
 :salute
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2008, 10:58:36 AM »
Wow, I never realized the Allied crates give you that luxury, no wonder every man and his dog flies em. Interesting to hear from Steve (pony Driver) and Ack(38 driver) the same theme, I thought there might have been some difference between nose mounted and wing mounted guns. So the key to 50's is the Convergence I'm assuming? Unlike the tater were you only need a round or two, you boys will need a lot of shells hitting the right spot at the right time then I'm assuming? From my perspective it's confirmed that I can't afford to let an Allied driver get more than half a second guns on me, Just have to keep their nose pointed up and off a small angle.

Well, AKAK doesn't have to concern himself with convergence issues in his 38. Unless chasing though(or buffs), I speculate he doesn't fire often beyond 600.  You can certainly hit beyond  this range but the lethality drops off noticeably.
 6.50's at convergence requires very little time to score a fatal hit, even on buffs(but a smidge longer). What often happens is, even if I miss the canopy, I set them on fire.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »
Varies from plane to plane for me, but for spits (I mention spits because it's the #1 flown plane) I always go for the wing roots.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2008, 11:03:01 AM »
when i see 400 I aim big. I like to spray some shots to get them to turn then open with all guns when i see the top profile of the plane.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2008, 11:09:10 AM »
I find deflection shots easier than a 6 shot, simply because they're so much more predictable. The guy is in a turn and you know where he's going. A shot from behind is unpredictable, especially so in AH where players don't feel the effects of G forces, stick stirring is the norm.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2008, 11:48:07 AM »
I always aim for the cigar-shaped part of a fighter, i seem to hit a con's pilot fairly frequently.  By aiming at that if my aim is a little off there's a chance i'll hit the wings, and if i open fire too late there's a good chance of taking off the V or H stabiliser.  I generally like to open fire at 200yrds, but if it's a deflection shot i'm happy to open fire at 400.  If the con is flying straight and level i'm happy to take a shot at 600, maybe even 800 yards.  If a con is level but performing lots of little jinks or mashing the stick around (i.e when dead 6 on a spit16 or a 190) i'll usually close to 200 yards unless i feel like wasting a lot of ammo or if i don't have the luxury of time to close the gap.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »
Well, AKAK doesn't have to concern himself with convergence issues in his 38. Unless chasing though(or buffs), I speculate he doesn't fire often beyond 600. 

Yep, I rarely take shots 600yds or beyond unless I know I have a high probability shot on the target.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Borsuk

• Zinc Member
      • 5th SFG SOAR Squad Website
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2008, 12:35:03 PM »
I usually aim for the wing root.
What I hit is a different kettle of fish unfortunately.  :(
Borsuk
No job too small, no fee too large
"Anything I promise when drunk is sacred. Anthing I promise when sober may be reneged on" Harry Carey Jr.
5th SFG S.O.A.R.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »
i aim for the red planes, and if i see rounds hit anywhere on it, i'm happy
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2008, 05:07:37 PM »
I find deflection shots easier than a 6 shot, simply because they're so much more predictable. The guy is in a turn and you know where he's going. A shot from behind is unpredictable, especially so in AH where players don't feel the effects of G forces, stick stirring is the norm.

With deflection shots you have a larger target to fire at as opposed to a dead 6 shot, that's why it seems easier to hit with those shots.  It's recommended that if you make a dead 6 attack to come at a slight angle to the target, this way you have more of an area to fire at.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2008, 05:11:30 PM »
With deflection shots you have a larger target to fire at as opposed to a dead 6 shot, that's why it seems easier to hit with those shots.  It's recommended that if you make a dead 6 attack to come at a slight angle to the target, this way you have more of an area to fire at.

Also, if you think about it, a great many deflection/crossing shots happen from pretty close range (such as in a scissor fight).  On the other side of the coin, a lot of people have a tendancy to fire from a range farther then what is ideal when they get onto the six of an opponent. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder