Author Topic: Whale Wars  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
Re: Whale Wars
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »
I was going to post something to that effect Moray but your opinion pretty much sums it up.

Both sides should be ashamed in their own ways....

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2009, 11:02:53 AM »
 I have said all along, this show will end with deaths.  

After posting my last thread I have been reading up on some other threads posted on animal planet.  Moray I understand your a Marian Biologist (i think you said in another post) and understand completely what you are saying.

You are also right about people dying

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:22:27 AM by Jebus »

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »
    Ishikawa, H. and Shigemune, H. 2008. Comparative Experiment of Whaling Grenades in the Japanese Whale Research Program under Special Permit (JARPA and JARPN). Jpn. J. Zoo Wildl. Med. 13(1): 21-28.

Konishi, K., Tamura, T., Zenitani, R., Bando, T., Kato, H. and Wallテクe, L. 2008. Decline in energy storage in the Antarctic minke whale (Balaenoptera bonaerensis) in the Southern Ocean. Polar Biol: 31: 1509-1520.

Yunoki, K., Ishikawa, H., Fukui, Y. and Ohnishi, M. 2008. Chemical Properties of Epidermal Lipids, Especially Sphingolipids, of the Antarctic Minke Whale. Lipids (2008) 43: 151-159.

You be the judge.  950 whales were culled in 2008.  This was the amount of science garnered from that entire season (taken DIRECTLY FROM THE JARPA site, http://www.icrwhale.org/JARPA91paper.htm, one of which was a study of "whaling grenade effectiveness".

While the Sea Sheppard's are idiots, it's obvious that the Japs are playing the loophole.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2009, 12:22:40 PM »
I agree the Japanese are hiding behind "research".

Why don't the Japanese just leave the IWC and start another organisation that isn't overrun with an anti whaling tone.  Who enforces the IWC anyways?  :rolleyes:

I doubt they want to exterminate the species.  How would that benefit them?

BTW, anyone tried whale? I'm getting hungry.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2009, 12:32:13 PM »
Ok, im not an eco nut at all, but i think its wrong what there doing..... have you seen what they do? They chase the whales for miles, and shoot them with a 6 foot harpoon, then they drag them along side of boat, if the whale isnt dead yet, they start shooting it with rifles...I am against animal abuse to.... but im just saying, leave the dang whales alone

-BigBOBCH

Have you seen what goes on in a chicken processing plant? Butchering animals isn't a pretty business. Lobsters and crabs are boiled alive, yeah that's humane...

I eat beef and pork, and both come from mammals. I also hunt Deer once in a while; also a mammal. Why should I be against the Japanese hunting these sea-cows?

Didn't the scandinavians sink these idiots a few years back? Too bad they survived.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »
I eat beef and pork, and both come from mammals. I also hunt Deer once in a while; also a mammal. Why should I be against the Japanese hunting these sea-cows?

Last time I checked none of those were on the protected/endangered species list.

Most whales are....

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »
Last time I checked none of those were on the protected/endangered species list.

Most whales are....

The ones being hunted?
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2009, 12:56:42 PM »
Most whales are....

Just did a quick check (you know, what you should have done before posting that): There currently are 41 species of whale. Only 11 of them are on the endangered list. So no, most whales are not endangered species. Get your facts straight.

-Gandhi

Offline John Curnutte

• Nickel Member
      • Precisionsquad.org
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2009, 01:24:37 PM »
 Both sides of this are ugly really , but I'm in thought if I was captain of a ship working the sea and these clowns came close I would defend myself and my crew with any and all means possible . That group of eco pirates should do us all a favor and go down with their ship , or as previously stated go attack the Russians and see what they get .
To hide behind rules , laws , and eco brand of ideas . All are wrong IMO however if no law is broken by the Japenese then they should be allowed to work without hassle.
                        Nutte :salute   
Don't be afraid to put it out there , if it gets cut off it'll grow back
On your mark , Get set , go away !

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »
forget it  :(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:39:33 PM by fudgums »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2009, 01:44:03 PM »
I wonder if the LA Times comment thread is still open...  At least one troller on each side was posting, but it's died down a bit lately.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/06/whale-war-saga-between-japanese-hunters-and-sea-shepherd-to-escalate-.html
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2009, 01:52:43 PM »
It angers me that the Japs are hiding behind science, while not actually doing any real science.
I think they have a major contribution to Gastronomy science. Though some may argue that this should be classified as art - in that case, they kill whales for art. Now that sounds a lot more sophisticated and stylish...

The only real question is whether they are over-hunting a specific kind into extinction. As long as the answer is no, fire at will.

Ok, im not an eco nut at all, but i think its wrong what there doing..... have you seen what they do? They chase the whales for miles, and shoot them with a 6 foot harpoon, then they drag them along side of boat, if the whale isnt dead yet, they start shooting it with rifles...I am against animal abuse to.... but im just saying, leave the dang whales alone
Hunting is the most humane method of killing an animal for its meat. I believe that the animal should live as its kind lives in the wild, till you come and kill it. I have a much bigger moral issue with the way some geese and cows are raised for butchering. Animal are hunted in nature, by humans or others - that's the way of nature and in a way, an essential part of it (see: evolution).

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2009, 02:21:47 PM »
The only real question is whether they are over-hunting a specific kind into extinction. As long as the answer is no, fire at will.
Hunting is the most humane method of killing an animal for its meat. I believe that the animal should live as its kind lives in the wild, till you come and kill it. I have a much bigger moral issue with the way some geese and cows are raised for butchering. Animal are hunted in nature, by humans or others - that's the way of nature and in a way, an essential part of it (see: evolution).

+1 QFT

-Gandhi

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
I agree the Japanese are hiding behind "research".

Why don't the Japanese just leave the IWC and start another organisation that isn't overrun with an anti whaling tone.  Who enforces the IWC anyways?  :rolleyes:

I doubt they want to exterminate the species.  How would that benefit them?

BTW, anyone tried whale? I'm getting hungry.

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl

Would be pretty funny for the japanese to take a surplus WW2 destroyer (if there is any left afloat) and temporarily rename it to the "stingray."  Heck, even use a small light carrier and have some Kates or Val's as they buzz the hippies. Equip some dummy torps on the kates and lets videotape the hilarity

Imagine everyone on the hippie boat to cry "Crikey! Its a stingray!"  :uhoh :cry

:D

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:08:14 PM by Meatwad »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Phantomz

• Copper Member
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »
I have to say go Japs sink the retards already.  I dont nesicarily agree with the japs and their "Research" But those physco Eco nuts have to go.
The Flying Circus