Author Topic: Whale Wars  (Read 4024 times)

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Whale Wars
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2009, 05:49:06 PM »
Have you seen what goes on in a chicken processing plant? Butchering animals isn't a pretty business. Lobsters and crabs are boiled alive, yeah that's humane...

I eat beef and pork, and both come from mammals. I also hunt Deer once in a while; also a mammal. Why should I be against the Japanese hunting these sea-cows?

Didn't the scandinavians sink these idiots a few years back? Too bad they survived.

yes, but heres the thing.... chickens, cows, and such will basically all ways be there since there are large farms... that isnt so with whales, you cant make a giant farm and have them born and raised.

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2009, 02:05:26 AM »
All the endangered whale species are rebounding quite nicely. There are millions of great whales in the oceans now. Even the Blue Whale, once on the brink of extinction, are growing in numbers. Why do you think whales will not always be there?
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2009, 02:52:59 AM »
yes, but heres the thing.... chickens, cows, and such will basically all ways be there since there are large farms... that isnt so with whales, you cant make a giant farm and have them born and raised.

-BigBOBCH
... and therefore we should eat more whales. Applying the same logic, any specie that becomes a trendy dish in the western world, is almost guaranteed the survival of its kind. If you are economical, you do not go extinct. If the market is big enough there will be whale farms. There will be submerged cages or whatever, where whales growth is accelerated by injected hormones and plankton is shoved down their throat. They will not be much of a whale anymore, but their kind will survive. Personally I prefer it to stay an exotic dish and let a few of them be hunted, instead of farmed, to supply it.

reality is ugly.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2009, 04:22:10 AM »
My country (Iceland) has recently cropped some unpopularity by hunting minky whale. Not many, like 30 a year with an estimated population of several thousands around the country. The population of them is estimated to eat more fish than our whole fishing fleet brings to port, but you have the greenies critisizing the fishing as well. (We're one of very few european countries that don't overfish dangerously and it's one of the basic reasons for us not being in the EU).
We stopped whaling for some 20 years period, yet were always branded with the "Whale killer" slogan.
But whale farming.....that's one angle. You'd have to fence off a whole fjord for that. I doubt it is possible though.
BTW, minky whale tastes like good beef with a whiff of some ocean flavour. It's very very good! Greenland whale is also quite nice. Whale gullash, mmmmm.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2009, 11:26:21 AM »
My country (Iceland) has recently cropped some unpopularity by hunting minky whale. Not many, like 30 a year with an estimated population of several thousands around the country. The population of them is estimated to eat more fish than our whole fishing fleet brings to port, but you have the greenies critisizing the fishing as well. (We're one of very few european countries that don't overfish dangerously and it's one of the basic reasons for us not being in the EU).

Whales eat small schooling fish.  People like to eat the larger predatory fish like Tuna.  You don't mean numerically more fish, right? Because that wouldn't be very surprising.

If Iceland fishes sustainably, then good for them.  Most of the world doesn't.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2009, 11:29:52 AM »
I just don't think the whale wars dudes are very smart. Going into international waters, attacking other boats, and then complaining, when the people, who are just trying to put food on their tables, retaliate.

There's probably a few other ways to protest their actions that what they're doing. Because that's dangerous for both sides.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »
Whales eat small schooling fish.  People like to eat the larger predatory fish like Tuna.  You don't mean numerically more fish, right? Because that wouldn't be very surprising.

If Iceland fishes sustainably, then good for them.  Most of the world doesn't.

I like small schooling fish.  Ever had sardines or anchovies?  I think they eat cod and herring too.

I'm pretty sure killer whales dont stick too little fishies and krill. 

Those bastages are killing all the poor small fish!

If the queen knew this she'd be pretty pissed at those eco killing whales!  :D

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2009, 11:45:14 AM »
If you prefer sardines to fresh Tuna, then we must be a different species. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2009, 12:02:20 PM »
If you prefer sardines to fresh Tuna, then we must be a different species. ;)

Tuna is my favorite sushi.  No, Yellowtail is.  No, I like salmon the best.  Dang I love it all.

If im eating it cooked Ill take Mahi.

However, a few hours before the sunrise I'd actually prefer a few crackers and a can of sardines or herring.

I will happily try whale as soon as I get the chance.  These dern cow steaks arent big enough.   :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:11:52 PM by DMBEAR »

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2009, 06:57:16 PM »
  Its all fake. All parties are making money from it.

~AoM~

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »
caught me a mahi last week...haven't cooked the bugger yet. Should have had more.  Guys on the other side of the boat were slamming them. But I had my 8 yr old with me so I had to tend to his fish as well as trying to get the school of mahi to hit. You have to give it to mahi, the will eat the bait no matter how big it is, the mahi I lost was maybe 25 inches or so and hit a 9 inch ballyhoo. In hindsight I should have been tossing the sardines instead of the ballyhoo since the school was all peanuts.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2009, 05:41:21 AM »
Ok, im not an eco nut at all, but i think its wrong what there doing..... have you seen what they do? They chase the whales for miles, and shoot them with a 6 foot harpoon, then they drag them along side of boat, if the whale isnt dead yet, they start shooting it with rifles...I am against animal abuse to.... but im just saying, leave the dang whales alone

-BigBOBCH

Just found out they use explosive harpoons that either kill the whale outright, or knocks it unconscious. That's a lot more considerate and "humane" than what most of our harvested animals (like fish) get.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2009, 06:12:09 AM »
If those whales are really as smart as those flamers say they are they should do a split-s when the harpoon ship gets on their 6 rather than running like a no-skilled dweeb. Those ships can't follow them in a dive and can't turn fast enough to catch up to them after they are already extending the other way.  All they need is to use some SCM and maintain their SA.  Duhhh.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla