Author Topic: Nothing to see here, move along  (Read 3985 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Nothing to see here, move along
« on: November 30, 2008, 11:05:06 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:07:19 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline 71313

• Copper Member
Re: Nothing to see here, move along
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »
is there any way to make  a cap of say10k .
handle the business,before the business handles you

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »
I bid 15K.   ;)

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:52:52 PM »
for thoses of you who dont know, the AVA is a place for a higher class of player. these rules are not enforced but are expected to a point. yes all rules get broken but we try to keep it to a minimum to keep it civilized. take this for what its worth. it will make the experience for new AVA players much nicer.

1. we dont vulch unless we're taking a base. vulching in general is frowned apon in the AVA

2. We keep HO'ing to a minimum. yes there are times when we all HO but again its frowned apon.

3. picking-- AVA is about 1V1. if you  gonna jump in, ask first. if its a furball, all bets are off go for it

4. alt monkeys-- we try to keep things around 5k, nothing stopping you from flying higher, but if im in there ill be down on the deck. have fun with that nose bleed.

5. killing radar for fun-- please dont unless you're gonna capture the base, it spoils the fun for the rest of us.

yes everyone doesnt play the same way and have the same goals, but its a better experience over-all. we're trying to make it a place thats fun for everyone and has the aspects of each different type of battles.

again these are guidelines and are not enforced, but we'd appeciate your co-operation. thanks

Who cares about your rules? Is that supposed to define what is fun? You can't tell people what is fun, nor can you enforce any kind of rules in the AvA.

The only results you can achieve with your set of rules is that a) oldtimers and vets will stay away from your imaginary playground and b) newer players who do get sucked in learn the way of the tard.

:aok

Now if there's a event going on, longer one spanning days or weeks even or a small one with squads doing a scenario, that's a whole different deal. In those cases rules are set to achieve greater realism and immersion for the sake of the scenario. General rules of the AvA, sure you can have an agreement among your friends but never enforce them upon others. You will be frowned upon.

And you wonder why people don't go to the AvA?! Outrageous!

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »
Well, all those things that Jaeger listed are just some common courtesy traits that have been fostered in the AVA for a long time.  Much longer than you have been there Vortex.

As far as keeping oldtimers and vets away, it's the ack hugging, radar porking and altmonkeys that make us spend less time in there.

So, a question for you. Is porking Dar at a field where there is some good fights going on your idea of fun? I hope not, but if it is then prepare to be ridden like a rented mule.

Jaeger just posted some of the unwritten rules that we have, by and large, tried to adhere to these past 7 or 8 years here. Started back when the AVA was in it's original form as the CT, 'round abouts when you were probably still wearing a diaper.

So I suggest that when there isn't a "war scenario" going on, why not check yer purse at the door, come on in and have a joust or two with us "oldtimers". Who knows, you might even have some fun.

RTR
The Damned

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 04:18:45 PM »
So, the AvA is the place where historical flying is frowned upon. Got ya. Have fun fighting 1v1 with the same 5 people you've been fighting over the past few years while I go out and have fun.  :salute
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »
So RTR, insulting people, is that also on your fun list? Seeing how you do it with such flair I will assume it is, no?

Was active in Fighter ace from '98, switched to Aces High some time in 2001-2002. Didn't register on the boards until years after and had at that time changed name (acct) one or two times. Didn't fly with a squad for years.

As for your other comments, I really don't care much because what you do is your business. Griefing is never fun (some retards think it is), I never intend to ruin the fun for anyone, unless it's about getting shot down. I've been known to shoot a few people down every now and then in the past.

It's a game, people are here looking for fun. If you want to have set rules among your friends nothing can stop you but at the same time you can never tell others how to play the game. Unless it's a matter of pure griefing.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 04:23:20 PM »
Well, all those things that Jaeger listed are just some common courtesy traits that have been fostered in the AVA for a long time.  Much longer than you have been there Vortex.

As far as keeping oldtimers and vets away, it's the ack hugging, radar porking and altmonkeys that make us spend less time in there.

So, a question for you. Is porking Dar at a field where there is some good fights going on your idea of fun? I hope not, but if it is then prepare to be ridden like a rented mule.

Jaeger just posted some of the unwritten rules that we have, by and large, tried to adhere to these past 7 or 8 years here. Started back when the AVA was in it's original form as the CT, 'round abouts when you were probably still wearing a diaper.

So I suggest that when there isn't a "war scenario" going on, why not check yer purse at the door, come on in and have a joust or two with us "oldtimers". Who knows, you might even have some fun.

RTR

Get this man a beer.  :aok
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
I like to pork rader, it makes me warm and fuzzy inside  :rolleyes:
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 04:30:52 PM »
How about instead of flaming each other one whether there should be rules or not (as we have done at least a dozen times that I can remember) we do this:

I, {yourname}, pledge to follow these rules/guidelines.

or

I, {yourname}, do not agree to these rules/guidelines.

If you think they are stupid, really no need to reply, just do your own thing and have a merry time.  If you want to abide, let it be known.  In the end, the AvA is so small, we all know who does what.  If you spend enough time in the AvA you can often tell who your opponent is simply by the way he merges.

Anyhow, just a suggestion on how to save a thread from the looming flame induced lock.

So...

I, Republic, pledge to follow these rules/guidelines.
P-47 pilot

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »
I like to pork rader, it makes me warm and fuzzy inside  :rolleyes:

Yeah for some people fighting radars is a challenge because sometimes you can run into it.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »
heh, well, I didn't really see anything insulting in my post. Maybe your skin is on too tight?

Other than that, It's not rules among me andmy friends. It is what was always understood by the old regulars in the CT.

We went there for fights between historically accurate adversaries (okay..as accurate as we could come with the planeset). It wasn't about porking fields and winning a war. That was what the MA was for. It wasn't about running full blown scenarios (wars). That was what SEA was for.

Saying what you want the AVA to be isn't going to change that. It's the history of it.

Maybe your squad would enjoy the scenarios that are coming up better.

cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 04:37:34 PM »
This is all pretty common sense etiquette. Either you're going to follow it, which you normally would, or you're not, which would not be changed by someone posting a thinly veiled set of rules.
I think anyone here is smart enough to realize that, so I can't imagine any other reason for this thread other than to stir the pot.

Which clearly worked. :lol

That being said, the AvA is a nice place to fight, and it would be nice if that could be partially preserved. Of course that wouldn't be possible with larger numbers, and I don't think anybody would like to see a damper put on down-'n'-dirty free for all furballing.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 04:43:11 PM »
I have no problem with you guys having your own rules between eachother. Don't expect me to follow them though, or anyone else for that matter. Furthermore, don't complain about us not abiding to your rules. It is our arena as much as it is yours, anyone can log in at anytime as long as he/she is a paying AH customer. Actually anyone can go in there and pork radar as much as they want, it's built into the game. It may not be nice but then who's insulting people on the BBS?

I just want to clarify this as new players who come in here might think that it's something supported by HTC in some way and that this is what is expected of them.

By all means play the game the way you want but I will say one more thing, if you would show more tolerance to other players perhaps the AvA crowd would grow.

RTR, if you fail to see the insulting parts of your post. Hmmm well I can't help you I'm afraid, I thought it was obvious. Tight skin? You bet, I'm no fatty!  :lol

Truth has no agenda.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 04:43:49 PM »
Where has been JG11 recently anyway?