Author Topic: Nothing to see here, move along  (Read 3991 times)

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
Re: Nothing to see here, move along
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »
FSOs, MAs... we do what's fun, what we consider fun. It works for us. We'll go into the AvA if we want to but as a squad we've not picked it up yet. Maybe we will or maybe we won't I don't know. As long as it's fun, we're game.  :aok

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 04:51:09 PM »
 it seemed you guys were big in the AVA not that long ago and you have 2 members as ava staffers.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »
Yeah, I don't know the specifics of the scenarios that were run or what the staffers did but generally we were making a effort to get it going and open it up with a historical gameplay. Ask Stampf if you want to know specifics but I'll tell you what I know.

The old AvA crowd complained and wanted their playground back, which was what happened in the end since the war scenarios were spoilt by people in the same squad flying for both sides etc. There were in that case set rules for each scenario endorsed by HTC and the AvA staff but not followed by some players, which offset the whole effort and scenario goals. Add to that some problems in the design of the scenarios and the initial success became a mess as most people simply didn't have fun anymore.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »
The old AvA crowd complained and wanted their playground back, which was what happened in the end since the war scenarios were spoilt by people in the same squad flying for both sides etc. There were in that case set rules for each scenario endorsed by HTC and the AvA staff but not followed by some players, which offset the whole effort and scenario goals.

Didnt you just get done saying you cant tell other people how to play?
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 05:03:45 PM »
I kinda gave up on it myself because my disco problems seemed way worse in that particular arena.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 05:03:50 PM »
I have no problem with you guys having your own rules between eachother. Don't expect me to follow them though, or anyone else for that matter. Furthermore, don't complain about us not abiding to your rules. It is our arena as much as it is yours, anyone can log in at anytime as long as he/she is a paying AH customer. Actually anyone can go in there and pork radar as much as they want, it's built into the game. It may not be nice but then who's insulting people on the BBS?

I just want to clarify this as new players who come in here might think that it's something supported by HTC in some way and that this is what is expected of them.

By all means play the game the way you want but I will say one more thing, if you would show more tolerance to other players perhaps the AvA crowd would grow.

RTR, if you fail to see the insulting parts of your post. Hmmm well I can't help you I'm afraid, I thought it was obvious. Tight skin? You bet, I'm no fatty!  :lol

Heh, okay here we go: Once again, they are not MY rules. They are a set of common courtesies that have been fostered there over quite a few years.
What you "seem" to be fostering is that it is perfectly okay to milkrun and pork fields in an arena where people go for the fight, and hinder their enjoyment because you have $14.95 that says you can play how you want.

The simple fact is, everything that we don't really normally do in the AVA can be had in the MA's for the same price. The maps there are large enough that an individual, or squad, could pork away unmolested and have a ball.

I don't propose dictating to new people entering the arena how they should fight or comport themselves. What I am saying is that by adhering to a set of unwritten rules, we can show new people that there are some good fights and a better sense of camaraderie in the AVA than in the meatgrinders of the MA's.

There, I haven't written anything insulting. Do you have a problem with fat people or something? :lol

RTR
The Damned

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 05:09:28 PM »
Was I not clear enough?

In it's current form, the AvA has no special rules attached to it. When running a war or scenario in any form, there are additional rules. One of those rules were that a squad register to fight/fly for one side only. This rule was not followed by a few squads. They said it was for play balance and fun but in the end ruined the effort. Imho primarily it was the scenario design that was at fault.

Did that answer your question?

Truth has no agenda.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 05:13:01 PM »
Was I not clear enough?

Did you not see the quote I was responding to?
The Damned

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »
LMAO, I see they are declairing their own personal Dueling Arena again;  Like I mentioned before, just a few more flushes and the arena may attract more people again.
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 05:22:16 PM »
Was I not clear enough?

In it's current form, the AvA has no special rules attached to it. When running a war or scenario in any form, there are additional rules. One of those rules were that a squad register to fight/fly for one side only. This rule was not followed by a few squads. They said it was for play balance and fun but in the end ruined the effort. Imho primarily it was the scenario design that was at fault.

Did that answer your question?

Like you said AvA is an open arena. Even if a war is going on you cant tell people they have to sign up and fly only on one side. I was told by staff during the first war that it was only temporary and it would over fast. After about six months of non stop wars some people got sick of them and said screw it they'll fly both sides and do what they want. I for one am glad there isn't another "war" going on. In the last month there have been great fights and small furballs going on. Hell today there were about fifteen people on at 2pm. There were people passing up 1v1 to go find an enemy plane and that was great not having to worry about that other guy jumping in. There was one guy that came in trying to ruin the good fights like he always does by killing radar but it didn't happen and he logged. I hope the AvA stays like it has been since the BoB setup because this is AvA at its best.

waaa my sqaud and I got beat up so we left the arena now Ill troll the boards because thats all I can do now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:23:56 PM by Larry »
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 05:22:23 PM »
Yeah for some people fighting radars is a challenge because sometimes you can run into it.

hahaha  :)
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »
Heh, okay here we go: Once again, they are not MY rules. They are a set of common courtesies that have been fostered there over quite a few years.
What you "seem" to be fostering is that it is perfectly okay to milkrun and pork fields in an arena where people go for the fight, and hinder their enjoyment because you have $14.95 that says you can play how you want.

The simple fact is, everything that we don't really normally do in the AVA can be had in the MA's for the same price. The maps there are large enough that an individual, or squad, could pork away unmolested and have a ball.

I don't propose dictating to new people entering the arena how they should fight or comport themselves. What I am saying is that by adhering to a set of unwritten rules, we can show new people that there are some good fights and a better sense of camaraderie in the AVA than in the meatgrinders of the MA's.

There, I haven't written anything insulting. Do you have a problem with fat people or something? :lol

RTR

Yes, I have a problem with fat people. They eat too much and take up too much space!  :lol

Seriously though. I'm not fostering porking, just saying that it's allowed by the game so, what is there to do about it? Should we boot people for porking? That'd leave HTC with fewer customers and in the end us with a game of lesser quality. Booting paying customers is not something that a game developer would want to do, it's the very far end of actions a company would not want to do.

I don't like porking any more than you do, I don't like it in the MA but there you can just relocate to establish a CAP over the porked field to shoot down the porkers and pickers instead. Alternatively just leave the area and find a different fight. There are generally speaking many more options in the MAs. Historical? No. Fun? The majority of times yes.

If or when I go to the AvA I'm there for the fights. I'm not the bomber type of guy. Predominantly a D-9 pilot I do what that a/c is best at, dominate from higher alt. The D-9 is no dogfighter, it's fast and hit hard. If you have a problem with that it's not my problem, is all I'm saying.

---

RTR my reply "Was I not clear enough?" was to Larry. A few posts got in between.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 05:25:15 PM »
it seemed you guys were big in the AVA not that long ago and you have 2 members as ava staffers.

Just to clarify, I am no longer a staffer, I chose to resign my privileges.  Forum stuff just needs to catch up though, sorry about the confusion. <S>

Carry on....  :frown:
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 05:25:46 PM »
I follow those common courtesys in the MA too, I suppose I just have a higher expectation for people?  :confused:
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 05:27:49 PM »

Like you said AvA is an open arena. Even if a war is going on you cant tell people they have to sign up and fly only on one side. I was told by staff during the first war that it was only temporary and it would over fast. After about six months of non stop wars some people got sick of them and said screw it they'll fly both sides and do what they want. I for one am glad there isn't another "war" going on. In the last month there have been great fights and small furballs going on. Hell today there were about fifteen people on at 2pm. There were people passing up 1v1 to go find an enemy plane and that was great not having to worry about that other guy jumping in. There was one guy that came in trying to ruin the good fights like he always does by killing radar but it didn't happen and he logged. I hope the AvA stays like it has been since the BoB setup because this is AvA at its best.

What you are describing is a perfect match for the Dueling Arena. Are you aware of this? Is it that you want a dueling arena and the historical gameplay? If so you can duel all you want with friends but still you have no right to tell people how they should play the arena since it's not a dueling arena.

HTC's description of the arena says:

"The Axis versus Allies arena is set up for historical gameplay.  There is a two sided war, a limited plane set, and reduced radar."

Nothing more, nothing less.

Truth has no agenda.