Author Topic: Fix the Collisions.........  (Read 4998 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Fix the Collisions.........
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 05:04:27 PM »
To clarify, a collision has nothing to do with whos "arriving" first at all.
The kill credit is another story, that means who is getting the kill, who is dying "first". But that doesn't change the fact that when there's a collision on both screens, both take damage accordingly.

To succesfully "ram" an enemy while taking no collsion at all (=gaming the collision model), a player would have to aim for an empty point in air where he knows that on his enemies front end he and his enemy will collide.
To do that, you need to have the second sight. You don't know how things look on your enemy's computer. You don't now how big the combined lag is.

BTW, if "both go down" would be implemented, ramming would really work consistently for the first time, and it suddenly would be almost impossible to dodge them. It would be the reverse situation that we do have now.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »
LOL

How does he know everyones ping time... how does he know who his enemy is to know his ping time, to determine if he is first or last.

Get over it what YOU see is what YOU get. :rofl

So, you expect everyone that tries to do the right thing and not HO, collide, ram, etc. to ignore that the possibility is there for someone to at least know that they can usually get away with it even if the chances are on their side to come out with a kill.  

Your one liner comments shows your true concern.  You can insert your D/A's remarks here ________________________

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »
how is someone going to get away with collisions?  I don't understand what you mean in the context of how collisions happen.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »
BTW, if "both go down" would be implemented, ramming would really work consistently for the first time, and it suddenly would be almost impossible to dodge them. It would be the reverse situation that we do have now.

I would like to experience that, I know for some they would take advantage of it, however after time I would expect it to die down.  You think.  

How did it go for the one day it was ON.?

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 05:10:26 PM »
So, you expect everyone that tries to do the right thing and not HO, collide, ram, etc. to ignore that the possibility is there for someone to at least know that they can usually get away with it even if the chances are on their side to come out with a kill.  

Your one liner comments shows your true concern.  You can insert your D/A's remarks here ________________________

LMAO how do they know where you are in a point in space to ram you and  not kill themselves. Please explain I'm reealy wanting to know HOW they do this. :rofl
See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 05:16:15 PM »
how is someone going to get away with collisions?  I don't understand what you mean in the context of how collisions happen.

Not sure, but I think its not the collision itself, I think it may be the combination of the HO with the collision, and gaming the timing aspect.   

I was shot down 3 times by the same player on a ho merge, each time there was a collison message from Player A, and 2 of the 3 I ended up in the tower that said I was shot down. 
Each time the Collision message came first, then the you were shot down message last.

This player ended up landing these kills. 

Offline Race

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
    If I died everytime I got within 50 feet of an airplane.....would be a short day. All to often I clear the enemy off my nose by feet during various manuevers. Those feet are the important ones too...

Race
Reputation is to be earned not given.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 05:20:38 PM »
Not sure, but I think its not the collision itself, I think it may be the combination of the HO with the collision, and gaming the timing aspect.   

I was shot down 3 times by the same player on a ho merge, each time there was a collison message from Player A, and 2 of the 3 I ended up in the tower that said I was shot down. 
Each time the Collision message came first, then the you were shot down message last.

This player ended up landing these kills. 
What's the problem in that last anecdote? You collided, took damage, were assigned a death by enemy = shot down.

The only flaw in the collision model is something I've had happen maybe 3-5 times since 99. Sometimes you can fly thru another plane and get nothing. Very rare.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »
I would like to experience that, I know for some they would take advantage of it, however after time I would expect it to die down.  You think.  

How did it go for the one day it was ON.?

Ok.. I try it this way.

Let's imagine Player A wants to ram player B

Current collision model:

Player A has to guess correctly whats happening on Player B's  front end. He has to steer his plane to a empty point on his screen where he knows ot will cause a collision on his enemy's screen. It's basically impossible for him.

Player B however has an easy task to avoid the collision. He just has to avoid players A plane on his (player B's own) screen. What B sees is what he gets

Result: Rams are hard to induce but easy to dodge.

Hyppthetic "both go down"

Now it's reversed:

Player A simply has to steer his plane on his screen into Player B's plane. No guesswork. Easy to do.

Player B however can't really avoid it. Because even when he manages to doge player A's plane on his own screen, we will still go down (as the new rule is "both go down"
He basically would have to dodge player A's plane on player A's screen. Or, in other words: Player B would have to dodge an invisible plane.

Result: Ramming is easy to accomplish and very hard to avoid.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:25:14 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 05:23:39 PM »
LMAO how do they know where you are in a point in space to ram you and  not kill themselves. Please explain I'm reealy wanting to know HOW they do this. :rofl

A good experiment would to take the two exact planes that Lushe had video of.  Instead of colliding from the rear as in the video.  Collide them head on with no stick input or shots.  One of those planes will arrive first and collide on time, the other will appear to still have space between them.

Now, if a player has experimented himself and determined that he has the ability to have this edge, of being in or out of this collision zone without getting the collision message and the other plane recieves the collision due to this lag, then he has an advantage due to what, his internet speed, connection, servers making up for his connection, who knows?  Not me, but it is possible to determine if that advantage is there or not.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 05:26:24 PM »

Current collision model:

Player A has to guess correctly whats happening on Player B's  front end. He has to steer his plane to a empty point on his screen where he knows ot will cause a collision on his enemy's screen. It's basically impossible for him.

Player B however has an easy task to avoid the collision. He just has to avoid players A plane on his screen. What B sees is what he gets

Result: Rams are hard to induce but easy to dodge.

Hyppthetic "both go down"

Now it's reversed:

Player A simply has to steer his plane on his screen into Player B's plane. No guesswork. Easy to do.

Player B however can't really avoid it. Because even when he manages to doge player A's plane on his own screen, we will still go down (as the new rule is "both go down"
He basically would have to dodge player A's plane on player A's screen. Or, in other words: Player B would have to dodge an invisible plane.

Result: Ramming is easy to accomplish and very hard to avoid.

Your assuming that there is a STEER involved, each HO I described was a nose on level flight pass.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 05:26:54 PM »
A good experiment would to take the two exact planes that Lushe had video of.  Instead of colliding from the rear as in the video.  Collide them head on with no stick input or shots.  One of those planes will arrive first and collide on time, the other will appear to still have space between them.

Now, if a player has experimented himself and determined that he has the ability to have this edge, of being in or out of this collision zone without getting the collision message and the other plane recieves the collision due to this lag, then he has an advantage due to what, his internet speed, connection, servers making up for his connection, who knows?  Not me, but it is possible to determine if that advantage is there or not.
But everyones lag time is different... so what now?
See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »
What's the problem in that last anecdote? You collided, took damage, were assigned a death by enemy = shot down.

The only flaw in the collision model is something I've had happen maybe 3-5 times since 99. Sometimes you can fly thru another plane and get nothing. Very rare.

I could have told you the serial numbers on his prop as he flew thru my cockpit....lmao

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »
I could have told you the serial numbers on his prop as he flew thru my cockpit....lmao
Then you collided problem solved.
See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 05:36:49 PM »
I was shot down 3 times by the same player on a ho merge(level flight nose on), each time there was a collison message from Player A(he collided with me message), and 2 of the 3 I ended up in the tower that said I was shot down.

He also did not recieve any damage that prevented him from landing his kills, this happened twice with the same plane.

Each time the Collision message (he collided with me message) came first, then the (he shot me down message) you were shot down message last.

I know some of you are old and cant read to well,, I enlarged this for you senior folks.  And the mentally slow, Bronk  :D.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:40:57 PM by Dadsguns »