Author Topic: LA 5  (Read 1337 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: LA 5
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »
an la5 isn't a buff? i'm trying to learn how to fight AGAINST the lala in a 38.  :D

Oups, my bad.  Get in tail gunner position and shoot him then
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 12:20:43 AM »
I'd have to agree with Shane, LA-5 and 109G2 are a pretty good match. either plane very deadly in the right hands. Both can stall fight well, with a good pilot.  The scenario of a p-38 stuck low on the deck with a La-5 closing, isn't a good place for the 38.  I would think the best defense in that case would be trying to get the LA to overshoot (it's obviously going faster then the 38 in this scenario), and get the shot as he passes. A good defensive roll possibly to bleed off your speed, get out of his line of fire (or at least make a hard shot), and roll back on his 6 as he goes by.  Catch me in the TA sometime and we can try some different options to see what works for you, I used to fly the LA-5 a bit, but flew the G2 a lot.

:salute
BigRat    
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 12:31:29 AM »
Oups, my bad.  Get in tail gunner position and shoot him then

lololol
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »
Another thing of note on the LA-5 is that it's acceleration is beat only by the La7 and BF109G10 at sea level(not counting perk aircraft). This means do not get low & slow then decide you want to break away.  It will run down most aircraft quickly.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »
Another thing of note on the LA-5 is that it's acceleration is beat only by the La7 and BF109G10 at sea level
And the Spit VIII, Spit XIV, and SpitXVI with the Ki-84 about equal.

Acceleration is important, but it can't overcome someone 500 yards off your six.

I've flown duels with the 109G-2 vs the La-7 (a top tier La-7 driver). If you know the secret, the 109G-2 is the La-7's equal in a low speed fight. The secret? If I told ya, it wouldn't be a secret, would it?

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 06:59:48 PM »

I had not thought about what might be considered more or less equal planes in acceleration.  I was thinking more of a slow 38 and using my LA5's acceleration to get an advantageous position on my opponent.  My thinking is that quick acceleration = building E.  So if the LA5 is building up E more quickly than the 38, then I should have more options available to me than the 38 pilot.  Could you please give more input on this aspect Widewing?  Thank you for the information and your time.  Always learning in this community! 

PS-As far as your secret, this is the help & training board.  So I have to ask you, how can a 109G-2 be the La-7's equal in a low speed fight?

<Salute>
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 10:54:37 AM »

PS-As far as your secret, this is the help & training board.  So I have to ask you, how can a 109G-2 be the La-7's equal in a low speed fight?

<Salute>

It can't.  WWs style or aproach to fight probably beat the other pilot or the or other guy made a mistake
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
And the Spit VIII, Spit XIV, and SpitXVI with the Ki-84 about equal.

Acceleration is important, but it can't overcome someone 500 yards off your six.

Widewing

It can't?  :huh

Fly 500 yards in front of me. Rock your wings slightly. There you go, I'll never hit you, and run out of ammo trying.   :(

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 05:54:26 PM »
It can't.  WWs style or aproach to fight probably beat the other pilot or the or other guy made a mistake

Against one of the very best sticks in this game, I dueled La-7 vs 109G-2. This was shortly after the 109s were redone both graphically and the flight model. We fought till out of gas. Net result... Dead even. The reason I was able to maintain equilibrium was I flat-out refused to turn right. In a left hand turn, at the limit, the La-7 has a minuscule turn radius advantage. However, as the 109 is more forgiving at the limit, it more than makes up for that.

Acceleration is close enough not to be a factor. Ditto for climb. Both have 10 minutes of WEP. Where the La-7 is better (and IMHO, it should not be) is rolling against torque. In a 109, dirtied up with flaps out you must pull off power to roll right. That is not a good idea as you cannot recover that lost energy readily. Thus, I would never reverse to the right. It does, however, roll very quickly to the left.

We did a similar exercise with the Spit14 and La-7. Again, dead even. That is until the Spit ran out of WEP. Then the advantage slowly shifted until La-7 was finally able to get in a snap shot. Countering the La-7's smaller turn radius was the Spit's better vertical performance, at least as long as it made emergency power.

The other evening, Batfink and I flew a series of duels with my Boston vs his Mossy. Again, very much an even-up fight. The Boston is better at very low speed with a much tighter turn radius (gaining about 45 degrees per full turn), but the Mossy has the edge in power and climb, providing options in the vertical.

I enjoy dissimilar aircraft duels. It allows the pilots to explore advantages while trying to avoid disadvantages. Those variables present differing problems that add to the dueling fun... IMHO.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.