Author Topic: IR Tracker worth it??  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
IR Tracker worth it??
« on: December 06, 2008, 06:24:25 PM »
Has anyone got some experience with it and can give me some pros and cons??

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: IR Tracker worth it??
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:05:46 AM »
I'd guess about 20% of people flying today use it in the game. I did the poor mans version and built my own. Do a search for for it on the boards and you will find a bunch of info and profiles.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:56:42 AM »
I feel that it is well worth it. It does take some getting use too, and some tweeking of the profiles. Once you get it set up so that it is comfortable for you, you'll find that it is hard to live without.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:52:41 PM »
Is there any limitation on the resolution I can run in AHII with these IR tracking devices?  I was reading some of the other post and a couple of comments led me to believe there is some limitations with respect to the resolution of the screen. 

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 03:54:01 PM »
Is there any limitation on the resolution I can run in AHII with these IR tracking devices?  I was reading some of the other post and a couple of comments led me to believe there is some limitations with respect to the resolution of the screen. 
Nope, no limitations for TrackIR, it doesn't know or care what your screen resolution is.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »

You may be confusing TrackIr with VR Goggles/Helmets and similar display devices. TrackIR is an input device. It's more related to a mouse. (actually TrackIr software has an mouse emulator included too)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 04:24:23 PM »
Convinced!  I should have the Pro4 at the house later this week! (Merry XMAS to me!)

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 04:55:43 PM »
Good choice. 

Go here to help you get set up>>>> http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/files/mace/Track%20IR2.doc
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 10:43:44 PM »
TrackIR is an amazing tool. It took me a bit to get used to it, work the kinks out with positioning/sensitivity but in the end it's great. Being able to track enemies through smooth panning views all around the aircraft without fiddling with hat switches or numpads is worth it. Enjoy.  :aok
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 11:16:16 PM »
I"ve had mine about 2 weeks and it has made a large improvement in ACM.
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 12:11:32 AM »
I'll go the flip side here.  I bought it, tried it, and sold it.  I guess for being a fat old man it requires a bit more movement than I wanted to do.  Several of my Squad Mates have it and love it.

Fred's Opinion,

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 12:28:05 AM »
If you feel like you are moving your head to much try making the profile more aggressive. I barely have to move my head up/down, or side to side to get full range. I do have to move my head fore and aft a fair amount, but I did that intentionally because when I had it set real aggressive I got a rocking motion on screen.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 12:41:03 AM »
If you feel like you are moving your head to much try making the profile more aggressive. I barely have to move my head up/down, or side to side to get full range. I do have to move my head fore and aft a fair amount, but I did that intentionally because when I had it set real aggressive I got a rocking motion on screen.

Actually I did.  I tried the profiles every way they could be done.  I guess I should have stated I have some nerve and muscle damage that get a bit painfull when making sudden movements of my head.  I think it a good system but its just not for me.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Wolfie

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 07:59:03 AM »
Have Trackir 4 with pro clip. Love it.  :aok
There is no going back for me.

:salute

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 10:30:48 AM »
TIR was a steep learning curve for me.

I bought it after some 10 years of playing AH using POV hat and going to bed at night with my thumb throbbing from all the working the coolie.

I spent a good month trying every sort of configuration I could think of.  I almost gave it up.  Then I read Mace's description of the "dead zone" issue (my biggest problem) and after I started using his profile things started to get more natural.  At first, I  hated Mace's profile because it gave me that "sitting on a ball" feeling which felt really unstable to me.  I forced myself to stick with it and after about a week things just sort of slipped into gear.  Now (some two years later), it is as natural for me as can be.  I love it!  I would NEVER go back to the coolie hat!

The most recent (about two months ago) mod I've made to my HOTAS setup was to assign the "pinky button" (CH FighterStick) as a macro command that I call my "Gunnery button".  Here's what it does:

1. Holds the forward view button (KB8).   Mace talks about the effect of this in his doc.  It locks the forward view but allows the side-to-side, up/down, and in/out views to work.  Great for setting up for gunnery.

2. Turns on Zoom.   Whatever zoom setting you previously used will be in effect.  I also have a HAT on my Pro Throttle assigned to changing the zoom setting so I can zoom in and out while I hold the pinky button in.

3. Centers TIR.  Now that the forward view button is being held and Zoom Mode is on, the TIR is centered so that my view is straight down the gunsite and I'm all set for firing.

When I press and hold the pinky button, the macro performs the three steps just mentioned.  When I release the pinky button, the forward view button is released and Zoom Mode is turned off.  This allows me to very quickly return to maneuvering.  When I want to quickly get back to "guns ready", I simply press and hold the pinky button again.  It's really worked out great.
The Hay Street Boys