Author Topic: Stall Limiter vs No Stall Limiter  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Stall Limiter vs No Stall Limiter
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »
Hi all, I've been wondering about the stall limiter...I've turned it off a few times and well, naturally, I stall out more and get into flat spins. With it off, basically it just does not limit you in say, a vertical? I fly the 38 and F4U mostly, would it be advisable to try turning it off again? I've been trying to learn more about it and see what is best for me...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Re: Stall Limiter vs No Stall Limiter
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:29:55 PM »
Keep it off, learn to fly again. Youll die, but believe in Krishna, and you can reup
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:40:17 PM »
take the training wheels off and you'll find out what your plane can really do  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 05:44:52 PM »
Stall limiter will ignore any stick input that would cause any point on your wings to reach stall conditions.  Under most conditions, you'll unable to get max maneuvering performance out of a plane with it on.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 05:51:54 PM »
I noticed the biggest difference in the 38 when i turned it off, next would have been F4U. It only took a couple days to get used to it.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »
Just a little addition...
When in the 38 turn off combat trim. You only have to trim the elevator. Helps immensely.
See Rule #4

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 05:55:07 PM »
Take it from someone who wishes he'd turned it off from the beginning -- TURN IT OFF.

Look at what Murdr said and think about it. Two huge problems come from stall limiter:

1. YOUR airplane will stop turning, banking, nosing down, whatever SOONER than your unlimited opponent. He gets to make tighter turns than you do, so YOU'RE getting handicapped by having stall limiter on.

2. (What I think is even more important) = You don't get the chance to "feel" the limits of your airplane, so you don't learn to ride the edge of control. You don't get to appreciate when you're cutting it close, and when you have more maneuverability than you think. It deprives you of some immersion, but even more it keeps you from feeling things about your plane's capabilities, SO you have a harder time instinctively knowing when you won't be able to cut a corner or get a shot.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 05:55:44 PM »
The most important thing is to be smooth with the stick no jerky motions ( insert huge amounts of LOL ). Fly with it off all the time the rewards are great  :salute
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 06:10:08 PM »
3 step program:

1) Educate yourself on how to recover from a bad stall quickly, because you will stall (and most likely while in combat), and you can recover from them quickly if you know what to do.
2) Turn off the stall limiter and learn to fly your planes to the bleeding edge of a stall but not stall out.
3) Profit.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Is there anything I should do for a little practice? Such as go into the TA and spawn at those 30K bases or anything? (Sometimes I just like to tool around with something new before diving in)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 06:27:46 PM »
I wouldn't go to the 30k bases - the high altitudes make manouvering more difficult, and losing control easier.  You might want to up from a dive-bombing base and use the air-spawn, but then you will start with engine off and falling from 10k or so.  I'm not sure if there's a way to start at whatever altitude you want in the offline arena, but that might be an option.

But for sure go to the TA - just take off and fly around a little with the limiter off and get used to it as you climb to about 15k - then practice some stalls and recoveries.  Give a holler on Country if you need some help - there's usually someone around willing to assist.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 06:28:27 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Is there anything I should do for a little practice? Such as go into the TA and spawn at those 30K bases or anything? (Sometimes I just like to tool around with something new before diving in)

Next time you see me online, give me a shout.  We'll go to the TA and play follow the leader and see if you can stick on my six the entire time I'm hard maneuvering without stalling out.  We'll keep at it until you can maneuver without getting into a stall.  

Here's a tip that does help...listen to your stall buzzer.  As it increases in pitch, the closer you are to an accelerated stall and just ease up on the stick a little.  Also, practice into getting into accelerated stalls.  This way you can identify the beginning of a stall and recover before it becomes a liability.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 06:32:29 PM »
i dont have it on i can crank the turns to stalling and i now know when to stop pushing it but i still ocasionaly get into flat spins
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 07:15:32 PM »
I wouldn't go to the 30k bases - the high altitudes make manouvering more difficult, and losing control easier.  You might want to up from a dive-bombing base and use the air-spawn, but then you will start with engine off and falling from 10k or so.  I'm not sure if there's a way to start at whatever altitude you want in the offline arena, but that might be an option.

But for sure go to the TA - just take off and fly around a little with the limiter off and get used to it as you climb to about 15k - then practice some stalls and recoveries.  Give a holler on Country if you need some help - there's usually someone around willing to assist.
The main reason was so I didn't have to climb. :P Mainly so I had speed and could practice verticals in it.
Next time you see me online, give me a shout.  We'll go to the TA and play follow the leader and see if you can stick on my six the entire time I'm hard maneuvering without stalling out.  We'll keep at it until you can maneuver without getting into a stall.  

Here's a tip that does help...listen to your stall buzzer.  As it increases in pitch, the closer you are to an accelerated stall and just ease up on the stick a little.  Also, practice into getting into accelerated stalls.  This way you can identify the beginning of a stall and recover before it becomes a liability.

ack-ack
I'll keep a look out for you, thanks!
By the way, what would you consider accelerated stalls?

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 07:39:20 PM »
Keep it off.  Everyone goes thru a "spin 'o death phase" until they learn the basics of stall recovery (or learn to avoid stalling in the first place).
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.